Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum (http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/)
-   Engine and Drivetrain (http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/87-engine-drivetrain/)
-   -   Car will lunge forward when starting. (http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/87-engine-drivetrain/175916-car-will-lunge-forward-when-starting.html)

BlueOvalFan 03-24-2013 10:35 PM

Car will lunge forward when starting.

Hi all. I have searched and not found a real answer to my problem. I just recently bought a 2005 Taurus SE with 46K miles, 3.0 Vulcan with the AX4N and an odd problem. Not long after I bought it, a couple of weeks ago, I was filling up with gas, the engine was running and the car was in park. I noticed that every 20 seconds or so the car seemed to want to "lunge" forward until it hit the parking pawl and stop. I haven't noticed it doing that other than that time but there are times when I start the car it will do that. The car is in park obviously when I start so I am unsure as to what could be causing this. I am hoping that you all can shed some light on this issue. Thanks.

behlinla 03-24-2013 11:53 PM

I'm not a transmission expert, but it sounds like you have something sticking that is causing the transmission to engage. When you're in park the manual valve should prevent pressure from going to any clutches. If you're ate 46K and the fluid hasn't been changed yet I would try that first in the hopes that fresh ATF might clear it up. If not I think you're going to have to have a transmission shop look at it.

P.S. It's never a good idea to be filling your gas tank with the engine is running. The fumes can possibly ignite on a hot catalytic convertor and cause an explosion. Plus it can screw up your fuel computer.

it'sthatcar 03-25-2013 12:06 AM

Not sure I can say anything to the lunging issue, but I would strongly encourage you NOT to leave your car running while you fill it up...static electricity, hot components, etc. can cause a spark, and if so your pump car and everyone else at the gas station has a very good chance of getting turned to a crisp...

aaronmach1 03-25-2013 05:24 AM

ive noticed my 03 doing this twice now in the couple weeks i have owned it. Both times just a small lunge at cold startup. Same trans you have.

jimbeamalki 03-25-2013 03:06 PM

Same engine and tranny as you. Ours has always done this at start-up---wants to roll 1-2" forward. Never seemed to hurt anything, and we've just learned to live with it after 6 years.

Bull Geek 03-25-2013 04:04 PM

My 2000 will do this if I do not use the parking brake. If I use it, no problems.

BlueOvalFan 03-25-2013 05:18 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. I usually don't leave the engine running while filling up with gas but I was in a little bit of a hurry that morning on the way to work. Actually, I just had the transmission fluid changed and the filter as well. That was when I first noticed it. The fluid level is just about perfect and brand new as well. Maybe it is just something that I will have to live with. I have never had any vehicle that I have owned do this. It is a little bit odd that it would do this. Maybe it happens when the temperature is around or below freezing? Also, it seems like the engine revs a little high when starting up, not all the time, but it seems like it could coincide with the lunging effect.

it'sthatcar 03-25-2013 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFan (Post 1744411)
I have never had any vehicle that I have owned do this. It is a little bit odd that it would do this. Maybe it happens when the temperature is around or below freezing? Also, it seems like the engine revs a little high when starting up, not all the time, but it seems like it could coincide with the lunging effect.

My car also lunges a bit in cold weather. As far as the high idle goes, that's perfectly normal. The car revs higher when the engine is cold. Don't worry about it :)

Sam 03-25-2013 08:11 PM

Car will lunge forward when starting.

I would recommend just using the parking brake at all times when you are in park. Of course also leave the car off when filling up.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

zinger 03-25-2013 08:14 PM

I noticed this the other day when i was pulling it into my garage, i shut it off while still in gear but then put it to park, then went back to start it later and it tried lunging forward, im not worried about this at this point as for i figured that it was just a little bit of movement left in the tranny and the clutch wasnt fully disengaged... :dunno: