Engine miss at idle / vibration while accel - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 09:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 49622
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 1997 Taurus G
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
dustincayton4895 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Engine miss at idle / vibration while accel

1997 Ford Taurus GL 110,00 miles
Recent Trans Flush/Filter
New Ball Joints
New Driver CV axle
PASS CV EASILY COMES UNKNUCKLED

***01/28*** I've cleaned the throttle plate it's spotless... I assumed the throttle butterfly was stuck slightly open but it was closed but i cleaned anyway.

So I'm assuming an IAC can still work but not work properly? I did all the tests everyone keeps saying to do with the IAC.

As with the slight miss at idle what should I do with that.
I checked Plugs they all look good, I ohm tested all the wires they read good and look great. I water tested the wires as well in the dark and got no jumps... could my coil pack be intermittently missing? If so how come my CEL has never came on for a mis?

Engine at Idle has a slight miss that you can feel.
Engine Idles at 900 and perodically pulses from 600-900 give or take a hundred rpms

Normal Warm idle is 900 in neutral and around 650 in drive

Car seems to have lost power and shutters when accelerating gas mileage has gone down quite a bit as well...
(Fixed with new CV axle 1/26)

Was getting 300ish to the tank now im lucky to get 250 at the most

Need this car to last so any good and detailed information will help

Last edited by dustincayton4895; 01-28-2013 at 09:41 PM.
dustincayton4895 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 09:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 14275
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: A blue car
behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute

Idle should be roughly the same speed in park and in gear. You might need a new IAC.

Hesitation and shuddering could be a misfire problem (such as weak ignition), so I suggest you read our misfire topic: How to Understand and Diagnose Misfires
behlinla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 04:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

I understand how to check and diagnose a misfire... I do not have any codes logged into car... It always idles at 900 when in park or neutral, the only time I feel a "miss" is when it is idling its not noticeable unless you know what your looking for imo
Old 01-19-2013, 07:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

ttt
Old 01-19-2013, 08:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustincayton4895 View Post
Normal Warm idle is 900 in neutral and around 650 in drive
Speed should be pretty much the same in and out of gear. It's probably an IAC or a vacuum leak. Unplug the IAC with the engine running and see what happens.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

I used brake cleaner/propane etc to spray all over the engine around intake/vacuum lines etc and failed to find a vacuum leak. I did fix the vibration while accelerating with a new passenger side CV axle. But today i noticed that every once in a while the car will idle itself at 900 and then drop down to 600ish but immediately go back up to 900. It's starting to bother me that I cant figure this out. I pulled IAC while running and car staled and would not start back up while unplugged but starts right up when plugged in.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Sam
breeves002

Member Number: 49890
Drives: 2008 Mercury Sable Premier
Trader Score: 8 reviews
Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Engine miss at idle / vibration while accel

Replace the IAC.

Clean the throttle plate as well.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2008 Mercury Sable Premier
2012 Kia Soul Base AT 1.6GDI
2004 Acura TSX 2.4
Moved On: 2000 Sable LS Premium Duratec
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 09:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeves002 View Post
Replace the IAC.

Clean the throttle plate as well.
I've cleaned the throttle plate it's spotless... I assumed the throttle butterfly was stuck slightly open but it was closed but i cleaned anyway.

So I'm assuming an IAC can still work but not work properly? I did all the tests everyone keeps saying to do with the IAC.

As with the slight miss at idle what should I do with that.
I checked Plugs they all look good, I ohm tested all the wires they read good and look great. I water tested the wires as well in the dark and got no jumps... could my coil pack be intermittently missing? If so how come my CEL has never came on for a mis?
Old 01-28-2013, 09:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustincayton4895 View Post
Yes, they can stick intermittently. Cleaning them only works part of the time so they have to be replaced if they still are not working properly.

Quote:
I water tested the wires as well in the dark and got no jumps... could my coil pack be intermittently missing? If so how come my CEL has never came on for a mis?
The CEL requires a certain threshold for a misfire code to set. If you have a slight or intermittent misfire it won't always set a CEL right away. Doing a spark test on the coil is easy enough to do and will rule out the coil as being bad (see video in misfire thread).
Old 01-30-2013, 04:41 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by behlinla View Post
Yes, they can stick intermittently. Cleaning them only works part of the time so they have to be replaced if they still are not working properly.

The CEL requires a certain threshold for a misfire code to set. If you have a slight or intermittent misfire it won't always set a CEL right away. Doing a spark test on the coil is easy enough to do and will rule out the coil as being bad (see video in misfire thread).
Today after work I decided I would plug up my HEI tester to all my wires and check the output of the coil... Well While doing so I noticed that one of the back cylinders the spark plug was loose!!!!!! WTF so I checked all the wires and they are all good and coil checked out good I torqued down all the plugs and viola!!!!! Idle I now at around 800ish but doesnt have the miss feeling. Is this idle still too high? Maybe I'll get my power back now that I have all 6 cylinders again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.