miss under light load 3.0 dohc sable - Page 2 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2012, 04:51 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member Number: 49406
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 2004 SES
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
TheB2B is an unknown quantity at this point

My Taurus had the exact same issue, replaced the spark plugs, same problem. Replaced the coil packs on all six cylinders problem solved. Same engine, same year but a Ford not a Mercury. Purchased the coil packs on line for around 165 with shipping.
TheB2B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 06:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 14275
Drives: A blue car
behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it still sounds like you have one or more weak coils. The engine is under greater load when in overdrive, so you need more spark energy. The cracks can be very tiny, so look on all sides of the coil. Or ohm test them all.
behlinla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 02:47 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member Number: 52004
Chapter: Pacific Northwest
Drives: 2004 sable s full load, California car
cvsable is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, thanks that's actually great news, coils are cheaper than tranny's, lol, my gut feeling is usually right and it feels like an ignition miss, the trans fluid is up and clear, I must be just over thinking this so I will inspect the rear coils and do the plugs Thursday and let you know, no comments on the plugs though, any thoughts on the NGK?
cvsable is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 07:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, make sure you get to all the plugs in the back. Sometimes people skip them 'cause they're lazy.

NGK plugs are okay for Al DOHC heads these days. NGK might even make some plugs for Ford. I recommend Autolite, Motorcraft, or NGK plugs.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:48 AM   #15 (permalink)

thanks, lastly, the plugs in it now as mentioned earlier are Iridium, was this stock for this engine, or were they upgraded from standard or platinum?
Old 01-02-2013, 11:58 AM   #16 (permalink)
Sam
breeves002

Member Number: 49890
Drives: 2008 Mercury Sable Premier
Trader Score: 8 reviews
Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

The original plugs were double platinum, and I would stick to them if you can. However I've seen people use Iridium with no problems. If you want the plugs to last 100k miles though, buy double plats.

2008 Mercury Sable Premier
2012 Kia Soul Base AT 1.6GDI
2004 Acura TSX 2.4
Moved On: 2000 Sable LS Premium Duratec
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 12:16 PM   #17 (permalink)

ok thanks
Old 01-02-2013, 01:11 PM   #18 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 10865
Trader Score: 1 reviews
sheila is a name known to allsheila is a name known to all

Iridiums should last longer yet.
sheila is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 07:58 PM   #19 (permalink)

WHOO HOO!!! SUCESS!, well thanks for the help and for anyone following this thread, the problem is gone, what I did...replaced all six plugs with double platinum Autolite, (the old NGK's were worn right out with lots of wear and wide open gap), many people mentioned looking for cracks in the coils, #1 cly's coil had a small hairline crack right across the top but all coils ohm'd out the same as the one new one I purchased and had on hand for the repair, so I did replace that coil anyway, I cleaned the throttle body with proper spray and checked all vacuum hoses for leaks, (none found), went for a road test and all is good!, It was also recommended to change the pcv valve while the uim was off but where the h... is it?, I thought maybe at the d/s rear valve cover on the side there is a plastic fitting there but it didnt seem to want to come without breaking, some threads said dont bother, anyway maybe someone knows?, lastly for anyone doing this for the first time there is lots of short cuts that can be done to save time, I unbolted the uim and disconnected the coolant hose under the T/B as well as the vacuum hose, (1/2 inch or so) underneath as well, then a few other electrical and vacuum disconnects, then when the manifold was unbolted just swung it out over the front valve cover while working on the rear plugs, I did remove the egr and replaced one of the gaskets only because I had one but they and all other gaskets were ok to re-use, everything went rather smooth,thanks again for the help, I have another totally seperate issue to ask about but I will start another thread as it is a different topic
Old 01-03-2013, 09:02 PM   #20 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Glad you got it fixed! Sounds like you did everything right.

04 Duratec, PCV valve, where is it??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.