Alot of problems - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 08:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 50870
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2002
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Intercept is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Alot of problems

Here it is in a "nutshell"
2002 Ford Taurus, flex fuel engine. Cold air intake installed, and SCT Tune !

1. Replaced cam shaft sync.

2. mechanic broke tips where dpfe lines connect to egr back pressure sensor.

3. mechanic said it would not affect car.

4. car started running like crap, THREW DTC CODES 171, 174

5. Replaced EGR Backpressure Sensor.

6. Codes are still coming up. NOTE: car is tuned with an SCT Tuner, i am running the 87 octane tune.

7. The only modifications to the car are the SCT Tune, and a cold air intake.

8. I returned the car back to stock tune ( that made it throw same codes 171, 174

9. I then returned the car back to the 87 octane tune.

10. Same codes again, but not as many.

Any suggestions ? Maybe a vacum leak, bad o'2 sensors, bad mass air sensor ?

** Will SCT's 90mm mass air sensor help in this matter, and give me a solution/better performance ?

* Don't know if this helps but the mechanic had to remove the upper intake plenum in order to install the camshaft sync. because the wire harness next to camshaft sync. was in the way to install the new one. When he removed it there was no gasket between plenum and intake. *

Should i remove the plenum again and apply some RTV sealant between the mounting surface ?

I dunno, i am at my wits end with this problem.

Thanks for any input !

P.S. Could i send the tuner back to SCT and have them adjust the " Lean Fuel Burn ??
Intercept is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 08:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 14275
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: A blue car
behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intercept View Post
2. mechanic broke tips where dpfe lines connect to egr back pressure sensor.

3. mechanic said it would not affect car.
Wrong! When the EGR valve opens it will be sucking in regular air instead of exhaust gases. Regular air has high oxygen content, so this will act exactly like a vacuum leak and cause lean codes when the EGR valve is open (normally during cruise). Replace the DPFE, put the hoses back on, and I think your P0171/P0174 codes will go away.

The intake manifold does not need to be removed to change the cam syncro (but the throttle body probably does). Yes the wiring harness is in the way, but you can usually loosen it enough to get it mostly out of the way.

The intake manifold should have gaskets. But they are usually held in the bottom of the plastic manifold, so I'm guessing you just didn't see them if you were watching. Do not use RTV.
behlinla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 08:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 11378
Jeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond repute

Your mechanic is an idiot. Absolutely no need to remove the UIM to replace CKP/syncro assembly.

Of course the DPFE will not function with the nipples that is uses to measure pressure are broken off. Non functional DPFE will cause lots of problems. What an idiot mechanic........

I would not trust what this guy says about the gasket being missing. He already lied to you twice. With no gasket, you will have vacuum leaks 100% guaranteed, generating 171/174 and causing rough running, etc. Just buy a new UIM to LIM gasket and install it. They are cheap.
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
02 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
Jeff K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 11:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

well he did have to remove the upper plenum. There was no slack whatsoever in the harness. He didnt say the gasket was missing ! That was a question of mine. As far as my " idiot mechanic " he's a pretty good guy ! So when i get to it i am breaking out the fine tooth comb on this piece of junk car.........lol

Last edited by Sam; 11-28-2012 at 12:03 AM.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default eeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrtttttttttttttttt brakes

one more thing, ever since this started happening my brakes have a different feel now. have to really stomp on them to get it to stop, but it does not react like that all the time.

Whats up with that ? Thanks
Old 11-28-2012, 12:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
Sam
breeves002

Member Number: 49890
Drives: 2008 Mercury Sable Premier
Trader Score: 8 reviews
Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

I want to ask, when you replaced the EGR pressure sensor did the engine stop running badly? Could have already fixed those two codes and they just have not cleared yet.

2008 Mercury Sable Premier
2012 Kia Soul Base AT 1.6GDI
2004 Acura TSX 2.4
Moved On: 2000 Sable LS Premium Duratec
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 06:46 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member Number: 26241
Drives: 03 SES FFV
nytaurusabuser is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intercept View Post
one more thing, ever since this started happening my brakes have a different feel now. have to really stomp on them to get it to stop, but it does not react like that all the time.

Whats up with that ? Thanks

Power brakes are "vacuum assist"; you have a vacuum leak, therefore little or no assist.

There's a check valve in the system, so when the system can create enough vacuum for the brakes, the check valve holds that vacuum in a reserve. Once you deplete that reserve (when you step on the brakes), the system has a hard time rebuilding the reserve due to the leak.
nytaurusabuser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 05:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

when i bought a backpressure sensor, they gave me the wrong one. so i asked them to look up one for a 1999 model ..... and it was the exact same one as the old one. And yes it continued to throw the code
Old 11-29-2012, 12:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 14275
Drives: A blue car
behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute

If you still have P0171/P0174 codes and you're sure the hoses are on the DPFE and EGR tube correctly, then you probably have some other vacuum leak. If you still think you don't have intake manifold gaskets, you should probably take off the upper intake manifold again and inspect the gaskets. They look like the number 8. One trick for finding vacuum leaks is to squirt a bottle of water around the intake manifold and vacuum tubes and listed for the sound of water being sucked in if you have a leak.
behlinla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 12:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
Sam
breeves002

Member Number: 49890
Drives: 2008 Mercury Sable Premier
Trader Score: 8 reviews
Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

^
Or do the cigar smoke test. I promise I'm not a smoker lol, but I think this test works pretty well, especially for larger leaks. Just blow cigar smoke into a vacuum tube with the motor off. If you don't have a gasket, you'll see it come out all over the UIM.

2008 Mercury Sable Premier
2012 Kia Soul Base AT 1.6GDI
2004 Acura TSX 2.4
Moved On: 2000 Sable LS Premium Duratec
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.