2000 Taurus dies at idle after warmed up - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012, 10:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 51355
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2000 Ford Taurus SEL 3.0 24 valve OHC
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
routerman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2000 Taurus dies at idle after warmed up

I have a 2000 Taurus with 108K on it and it started stalling at idle when sitting at stoplights. It's a 3.0 24V DOHC and I've cleaned the throttle body and what I think is the IAC maybe on top of the intake not far from the throttle body. I disconnected the power connector to that module as well and the stalling didn't change at all so I'm wondering if it's that module but here's more details. After I cleaned the throttle body I sat in park with it warmed up idling and when it wanted to die I would tap accelerator and it would jump to about 1500RPM for about 8 seconds and then drop back to 800-900RPM. It would stay there for 15 to 25 sec and then drop to 600 and try to die and if I hit the accelerator it would jump back up to 1500 and I could pretty much do that over and over and it was pretty consistent. Would die if I didn't tap pedal to keep it going and it had P0172 code in bank 2. I had a bunch of others that were caused when I cleaned the TB so I've cleared the codes and will watch for new ones but figured I'd ask if this sounds like anything specific with the pattern I see. Thanks
routerman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 11:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 10865
Trader Score: 1 reviews
sheila is a name known to allsheila is a name known to all

I was going to suggest you check the pcv hose buried down in front of the intake (po171/174-both banks lean), but po172 is: system too rich bank#1 (firewall). Might try cleaning the maf sensor and check injectors.

Last edited by sheila; 11-26-2012 at 08:03 PM.
sheila is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 12:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Sam
breeves002

Member Number: 49890
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 2008 Mercury Sable Premier
Trader Score: 8 reviews
Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

^
+1 with sheila

It could be a stuck open injector or even possibly more than one. Way to test is watch the fuel pressure after you turn the car off. If it drops you have a stuck open injector.

2008 Mercury Sable Premier
2012 Kia Soul Base AT 1.6GDI
2004 Acura TSX 2.4
Moved On: 2000 Sable LS Premium Duratec
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 01:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

I may have gotten the code wrong because it said too lean so maybe it was a 174. How can I check the fuel pressure and where is the MAF sensor located? I'd assume for the fuel pressure I can't check it measuring voltage and need to be in the fuel line path?
Old 11-26-2012, 02:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Sam
breeves002

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

If it was too lean it could be p0171 or p0174 or both. Where it is matters. If it's p0174 then it means it is the front of the motor that is running lean vs p0171 means the rear of the motor (back 3 cylinders) are running lean.

There is an easier way to check fuel pressure. First way is using a scan tool that supports it, second way is buying a cheap fuel pressure gauge and plugging it into the Schrader valve on the fuel rail. Looks like the cap that goes on your tires. It's on the passenger side of the motor near the top on a silver 'rail'. Should be around 40psi.

2004 Acura TSX 2.4
Old 11-26-2012, 03:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have the Innova 3160 but don't think it does the fuel pressure. I know where the valve is you mentioned and may just pick up a gauge to check it. I never thought it could be an injector since it runs smooth the rest of the time. This all started when the PCV hose elbow went bad and I had to replace it. I assume it was just a vacuum leak and I know I've gotten codes indicating lean in both bank 1 and bank 2 which I thought would go away with the PCV fix. Figured it was just pulling in air since the hose was disconected from PCV. It didn't bother me as much since I drive with 2 feet but kids don't so they're complaining about the stalling so gotta fix it..lol
Old 11-26-2012, 05:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 11378
Jeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a 174 and no 171 (current or pending), or vise versa, the problem is NOT fuel pressure related, nor is in MAF related. You most likely have a vac leak effecting the lean bank. Intake gaskets are well known vac leak points on the 24V DOHC.

Gen 4 with the returnless fuel system eliminated the schraeder valve for mechanically measuring fuel pressure. To measure it you would have to splice a "T" into the line or use a scan tool to measure pressure via the electronic pressure/temp sensor on the rail.
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
02 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
Jeff K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 05:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Sam
breeves002

Jeff couldn't it be fuel pressure related in theory? Kind of like it will start to misfire on one cylinder and not be a random miss if the pressure is only slightly too low. If he could look at the trims, it's possible the other bank is running lean, but not enough to set codes.

Anyways Jeff is right. It's probably a vac leak that only effects the bank that's running lean.

2004 Acura TSX 2.4
Old 11-26-2012, 06:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

My daughter drove it and said the check engine light is on again so I went and got the codes. Turns out it has both the P0174 system too lean bank 2 and P0171 bank 1. She said it still dies but didn't do it as much but I suspect that could just be because of the colder weather since I haven't done anything to it. I do have freeze frame data and it shows fuel pressure at 110 but I know that was when it set the code. I have STFT and LTFT numbers as well if those would help any or you think it's vacuum leak and I need to focus on that?
Old 11-26-2012, 06:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Sam
breeves002

Please post the STFT and LTFT numbers!

Probably is a vacuum leak if both codes are present. However the fuel trims behavior will help diagnose. If they are high at idle, then go to normal (+-5%) when you rev the engine, it is likely a vacuum leak.

2004 Acura TSX 2.4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.