To Drive or Overdrive... - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2012, 10:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 51168
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 1999 Mercury Sable LS Wagon Torreador Red, 3.0L Vulcan V6 Ford Taurus fro
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
dbeach84 has a spectacular aura about
Default To Drive or Overdrive...

...That is the question.

So I read the discussion about the differences between putting the transmission in drive or overdrive, and which is better for certain situations...and I'm still confused.

I just recently purchased my '99 wagon, and tried it in both Drive and Overdrive. My 40-mile (round trip) daily commute is about 1/3 65 mph highway, 2/3 45-mph slightly hilly two-lane with some stops and starts. When in Drive only, I noticed it was over 3K RPM at speed, which was making the ol' Vulcan chug pretty hard. In Overdrive, it hums along at just a tick over 2000, although it gear-hunts on the hills a little. So which is better for the life of the transmission?

Also, can you shift from Drive to Overdrive at speed?

- 1999 Mercury Sable LS Wagon - 3.0l Vulcan -AX4N - Toreador Red on gray - Ford Taurus front end (salvage car) - 81K original miles
- 1997 Dodge Neon - 2.0L SOHC - Red w/ Silver rally stripes - Mildly upgraded - 270K miles and still going...

"The point is, you see, that there is no point in driving yourself mad trying to stop yourself going mad. You might just as well give in and save your sanity for later."
- Ford Prefect, from "Life, The Universe, and Everything" by Douglas Adams

dbeach84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 10:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ben
I Drive A Fuze

Member Number: 40467
Drives: 2004 SEL Duratec
Trader Score: 1 reviews
Ben is a name known to allBen is a name known to all

While you are on hills pop it into Drive to lock it in so it won't hunt. When you are done with the hills, change it to OD. I use D for anything under say, 40, that I know won't be without a stop for miles.

2012 Fusion Sport, 48k miles, White Platinum Tri-coat. Every option except nav. 28% tint, Diode Dynamics LEDs, Steeda CAI, Steeda 93 octane SCT Tune

[SOLD]2004 SEL Premium, 72,700 miles, Vibrant White. 35% Tint, K&N Panel filter, Remote Start, 4x Infinity Reference 6832cf, JVC KW-R800BT, Rockford Fosgate 501bd, Bazooka BT1014

The Toy
1989 Mustang LX 5.0 Vert, White, T5, built motor/driveline, race suspension, fast/loud as f*ck
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
Sam
breeves002

Member Number: 49890
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 2008 Mercury Sable Premier
Trader Score: 8 reviews
Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

I have a duratec engine, roughly 45 more horsepower than the vulcan. I tried using Drive for a while when I was under 45mph and OD on the highway, or other higher speed situations...

I noticed a gas milage drop when I did that. Got about 18mpg a tank. So now I use OD all the time and get around 20mpg like normal. About half highway miles.

It won't hurt to switch between D and OD, I sometimes will switch down to D on a big hill. The duratec has more pull, so at 35mph it doesn't need to unlock the TC or shift down to 3rd to take smaller hills. The vulcan will need to downshift.

I hear that people say its better to put a vulcan in D when not on the highway (places with lots of stop and go), and OD when higher speeds/highway. There is NO reason to keep it in D going 65, that just wastes gas. I'd say drop it into D before you get on the highway and after you get off.

Keep in mind that dropping from D to 1 can hurt it though. Especially older trans will slam into first when you dip below 15mph or so. Otherwise they will just drop down to second if you are going faster than 20mph. It will stay in first if from a stop and then stop at fuel cutoff (6500rpm). Same thing with second. With D it will govern before you get to fuel cutoff so it doesn't matter (around 100mph).

2008 Mercury Sable Premier
2012 Kia Soul Base AT 1.6GDI
2004 Acura TSX 2.4
Moved On: 2000 Sable LS Premium Duratec
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 14275
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: A blue car
behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute

Just to be clear, selecting drive limits the transmission to 3rd gear, while using overdrive allows it to shift into 4th gear.

Personally, I leave my car in overdrive 99.8% of the time. If you encounter a hill, you can just push the gas pedal more until the car downshifts into 3rd. The only reason you would want to use drive instead of overdrive would be if the transmission keeps shifting between 3rd and 4th. Once the terrain smooths out, you should shift back to overdrive. You will get the best fuel economy by leaving the car in overdrive as much as possible.

Shifting while the car is moving can be dangerous because it's easy to overshoot into another gear like neutral or low (or even reverse). This can cause a distraction while driving until the problem is corrected, so most safety advocates don't advise changing gears while the car is in motion (it's best to do it at a complete stop).
behlinla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
fct
Devoted Member

Member Number: 10774
Chapter: Southern
Drives: 1999 Duratec
fct has a spectacular aura about

Drive is best reserved for driving in hilly terrain. Heck, sometimes 2-nd gear is even better. By this I don't mean just to have enough power to climb over one hill. Using drive or even the second gear is very helpful on a twisty mountain road that changes slopes rapidly, sometimes dropping down and sometimes going up. In such situations you will have far more control over the car if you use a lower gear. Not only the throttle is more responsive, but you also have additional engine braking which makes car more controllable when driving downhill or approaching the curves and it is easier on the brakes. I probably use this once a year when I go on a ski trip. Once I even found D useful on a highway. The I-17 between Flagstaff and Phoenix in Arizona drops something like 6,000 ft over less than 100 miles. It's been the case many times that I find the car coasting at 90mph without even trying hard. Shifting into D in many sections added the necessary engine braking power.

The drive gear is also useful in situations when you need to overtake someone on a narrow 2-lane road, so you don't lose precious time by letting the transmission spend time on deciding when to downshift. Granted, I don't think I'd use Drive position as often as I do if my floor shifter lever didn't have the little "overdrive off" button. I can find it with my eyes closed. It's basically downshift on demand. It's not installed on all cars.

Last edited by fct; 11-18-2012 at 06:37 AM.
fct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:56 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member Number: 47403
Drives: 2004 SES
Bob R is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 2004 Duratec with 220,000 miles on the original transmission. Have just left it in OD unless I want to brake a little going down a steep hill. Have done that with all my Duratecs ('96 '98 '04)
Bob R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 10865
sheila is a glorious beacon of lightsheila is a glorious beacon of light

OD all the time, lol.
sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member Number: 47403
Drives: 2004 SES
Bob R is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheila View Post
OD all the time, lol.
Now exactly what kind of OD do you do all the time, Sheila?!
Bob R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
I'm Watching You!

Member Number: 37681
Drives: 01 Sable Wagon Duratec
sousa632 has much to be proud ofsousa632 has much to be proud ofsousa632 has much to be proud of

Put it in OD and go. The ONLY time I don't is when I'm going down a long hill and drop it down to 'engine brake' the car instead of heating up the pads/rotors.

Vote for me
sousa632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
Tam

Member Number: 50124
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: '99 LX, 3.0L vulcan
Tam is an unknown quantity at this point

Pretty much, I just OD.
Tam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement