Engine phantom miss fire solved - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012, 07:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 27456
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 'kate' is a 2002, DOHC 3.0 SEL
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
taurus2002_taz has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Engine phantom miss fire solved

For some time now I've been dealing with trying to figure out why I was getting a missfire at a red light or stop sign. I've changed coil packs, plugs, vacuum lines... I finally figured out where the vacuum leak was coming from. There is a steel vacuum line that has brackets welded to it where it locates on the back side of the motor. When the tube broke free from the bracket that was welded to it broke, it left a hole in the steel vacuum tube. Vacuum leak/ misfire problem is fixed but I'd like some input about a new occurrence that is be****ling me, condensation on the inside of my left headlight. Never had this happen before, but recently had to change yet another AC compressor. I did not recharge the system after I put another used compressor in though.Could this condensation on the inside of my left head light be from the AC condenser being that I didn't recharge the AC system? I've also had a loss of coolant in recovery tank as well and wondering if the radiator had a leak some where and that is where the condensation is showing up in my left headlight?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 09:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Sam
breeves002

Member Number: 49890
Drives: 2008 Mercury Sable Premier
Trader Score: 8 reviews
Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

No, the condensation is likely a coincidence.... These headlights do this after a long time. However you MUST evacuate your A/C system properly before doing work like that. It can cause other problems!

That vacuum line sounds like it is the DPFE lines that broke. I've heard of other people having that problem when trying to pull the DPFE off.

2008 Mercury Sable Premier
2012 Kia Soul Base AT 1.6GDI
2004 Acura TSX 2.4
Moved On: 2000 Sable LS Premium Duratec
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 14275
Drives: A blue car
behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute

You were probably talking about a broken EGR pipe.

Headlight condensation comes from the seals leaking. Did you recently change the bulb or anything? If you want to get the moisture out you can take the bulb out and heat the enclosure with gentle heat. I would shine 500W halogen light on it from several feet away. The radiant heat will slowly evaporate the condensation.

Radiator leaking might only be a coincidence if you were talking about the right headlight (the coolant tank might have leaked under the headlight).
behlinla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Sam
breeves002

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

^
just for clarification, right side is the drivers side? It's the right side when looking head on at the car? I get so confused...

2004 Acura TSX 2.4
Old 11-16-2012, 07:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 10865
Trader Score: 1 reviews
sheila is a glorious beacon of lightsheila is a glorious beacon of light

Right side= pass. side. Locations are given as if sitting in the drivers seat unless specified differently.
sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:01 AM   #6 (permalink)

the vacuum line goes to the EVAP system and goes to the upper intake plenum, I cut the steel line and put hose in it's place. The condensation on the DRIVER side headlight has got me be****led, never had this problem before. The only thing that is there is the upper radiator hose....And lately the ABS and brake light come on too after being driven like twenty minutes
Old 11-21-2012, 11:04 AM   #7 (permalink)

The ABS pump is right under there as well and y can see it by taking the battery tray out... Something is happening and this anti freeze is going somewhere
Old 11-24-2012, 09:01 AM   #8 (permalink)

The car is still acting weird with engine miss fire and an ether smell to the exhaust when I come to a red light or stop sign the engine shakes the whole car and you can tell it's miss firing. I will try to post a video of what it's doing to give you guys the whole picture here...
Old 11-24-2012, 10:01 AM   #9 (permalink)
Sam
breeves002

Do a power balance test to see which cylinder is misfiring. Remove the plugs from the coil pack one at a time. The cylinder(s) that doesn't change the idle speed is the misfiring cylinder.

Check the misfire thread for additional help: How to Understand and Diagnose Misfires

2004 Acura TSX 2.4
Old 11-25-2012, 09:19 AM   #10 (permalink)

But try to follow me here as I no longer have a cat to have problems with... when the cat plugged, I had exhaust escaping up through the EGR tube and it destroyed that sensor that attached to it, I put a different one in and I'm suspecting that it has been melted too as well. I'm gonna try to capture a video to let you all see and hear how it's acting... Also a new symptom as well, after driving for like twenty minutes, the ABS light comes on then the brake light comes on shortly after the ABS light comes on. Restart the car, and twenty minutes later, those same lights come on. I'm thinking it may have something to do with vacuum and the brake booster, and or the lack of, which would explain it running rich and missing at a stop sgn or red light.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement