Engine phantom miss fire solved - Page 2 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2012, 11:15 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member Number: 27456
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 'kate' is a 2002, DOHC 3.0 SEL
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
taurus2002_taz has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I'm having trouble getting the videos I took so I can attach them from my cell phone... If I had a memory card sleeve, it would be alot easier/ I logged into the site from my phone but the attachment button doesn't show up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 11:20 AM   #12 (permalink)
Sam
breeves002

Member Number: 49890
Drives: 2008 Mercury Sable Premier
Trader Score: 8 reviews
Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

Does the ABS light turn off when the brake light turns on? AFAIK the ABS pump creates its own vacuum and doesn't run off of the cars vacuum system. Any problems with the brakes acting funny? Are you getting p0171 and or p0174 codes? Do a smoke test for vac leaks.

Upload the video to YouTube.

2008 Mercury Sable Premier
2012 Kia Soul Base AT 1.6GDI
2004 Acura TSX 2.4
Moved On: 2000 Sable LS Premium Duratec
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 14275
Drives: A blue car
behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute

If the DPFE keeps melting, usually that's a sign that the exhaust is clogged. If it's not one of the front cats, it might be the 3rd cat that's clogged, or even the mufflers.

Not sure about the ABS light at this point, but it's not the vacuum brake booster. You wouldn't get any brake or ABS lights if the booster was leaking. It could be a voltage/electrical problem. Is the brake fluid level good?
behlinla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:02 PM   #14 (permalink)
Sam
breeves002

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

I'm thinking he's just having the coincidental problem of the ABS electronics going out. That's a symptom, the ABS light turns on, then turns off and the brake light comes on.

Didn't he say he removed one of the cat's? Which one did he remove... go ahead and remove the third cat too if it is clogged.. Easiest one to remove IIRC. Agree with behlinla, DPFE will melt or get blown off of the hoses with a clogged cat.

2004 Acura TSX 2.4
Old 11-26-2012, 10:25 AM   #15 (permalink)

Got empty cat(s) SHHHHHH lol well there are no cats to get clgged now, this is something to do with the vacuum I'm sure. Almost thinking maybe it's an injector. Going to flip the row of injectors, what should I be looking for washing of the injector? See any witness marks I should be looking for? Would the DPFE make it run rich and miss fire?
Old 11-26-2012, 10:58 AM   #16 (permalink)
Sam
breeves002

If the DPFE is disconnected it could (I think). You do have lean codes, right? P0171 and/or P0174?

It's either a vac leak, or if that is ruled out it could be a bad injector but that depends on the lean codes. If you have both its mot likely a vacuum leak.

2004 Acura TSX 2.4
Old 11-27-2012, 12:02 PM   #17 (permalink)

ALL CATS are gutted, no CEL besides the ABS &Brake lights, no the ABS AND BRAKE stay on but each time the car is restarted, it takes the next engine running cycle like twenty minutes for the lights to come on again and both remain ON as well
Old 11-27-2012, 12:06 PM   #18 (permalink)
Sam
breeves002

So I'm confused now. What's the problem now besides the ABS and Brake lights. Is there any other problem with the car? Still feels like its misfiring?

2004 Acura TSX 2.4
Old 11-27-2012, 01:33 PM   #19 (permalink)

yes it intermittently misses
...yesterday it ran flawlessly ... wth? That sensor was not on EGR tube, holes with screws in each port but has been plugged. It is plugged in.,, but yeah it has been building pressure in the coolant, and sometimes when it first starts it misses, Im thinking its taking some antifreeze into a cylinder, it burns it off... think intake is leaking a little
Old 11-27-2012, 07:49 PM   #20 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 14275
Drives: A blue car
behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute

I'm also confused. If the EVAP or EGR lines are leaking, they need to be replaced so the engine will function properly. If the DPFE is not hooked up to the EGR pipe with the two hoses, it will cause problems as well. You can not bypass or disconnect these systems and expect the engine to run perfectly.

If you want additional help with this, I highly suggest you post a clear picture (taken with a digital camera, not a phone) showing what you're talking about.
behlinla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement