Oil leak - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2012, 09:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 48458
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2004 SEL 3.0 DOHC
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
C.E.Divine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Oil leak

Hi everyone, I was doing a search on oil leaks, and it appears that a common oil leak on these cars (my mothers is a 2004 with a Duratec, 102k miles) is the oil pan gasket. However, I have ruled the pan gasket out on the car after putting it on jack stands. I am suspecting the front valve cover gasket leaking on the drivers side from what I can see from the buildup. Is this a common problem as well? It didnt pop up on the search function.

Side note, there is something else underneath the cover that says 24v dohc on the engine that is running off of the left bank via a rubber belt. I have no idea what this part is, can anyone enlighten me? Could this be the source of the leak, and it is throwing some oil on the engine and valve cover gasket? I thought it was the oil pump, but that is down in the engine oil pan, correct?

Sorry that I do not have any pictures of the oil leak or the part in question, it is dark out side. I know that troubleshooting without pictures can be difficult, but I can get some up tomorrow if they are needed. I was just trying to confirm a sneaking suspicion before I buy parts and year into the thing.

Last edited by C.E.Divine; 06-21-2012 at 09:18 PM.
C.E.Divine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2012, 07:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 11378
Jeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond repute

The belt under the "24V DOHC" plastic cover drives the water pump via the bank 2 exhaust cam. There is (obviously) an oil seal where the shaft comes out of the head. Never personally heard of this seal leaking, but any oil seal can leak.
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
02 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
Jeff K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hmm, that is kinda cool that the water pump runs off of the back side of the engine instead of the front with all the other accessories. I have never encountered that before. I'll check out that seal when I get into it further and make sure that is not the issue instead of the valve cover gasket.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

Just a quick update, I got the left valve cover gasket changed. It was a pretty simple job, but I didn't do the right valve cover gasket because it is such a pain to get to. Im not going to just leave it, but I may wait until this fall to tackle that job when it cools off significantly.

This has fixed the issue. You can see where the oil was seeping out from under the gasket on this picture, just a little to the drivers side from center on the very front of the cylinder head.

I was fairly happy to see that there was no sludge in the head. It looks to be in fairly good shape to me. I am just glad that It won't be leaking oil on the driveway anymore.

One thing that went slightly wrong was the crankcase vent tube busted as I was pulling it out. The clip on the very bottom snapped, so I had to make a temporary seal with rtv to hold it in place until i can remember to call ford and see about replacing it, or find one at the salvage yard.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member Number: 5779
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 2004 Ford Taurus OHV Flex
doobious62 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

My 2004 is leaking oil, but it is not leaving a puddle anywhere. Can somebody help me?
doobious62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member Number: 35588
Chapter: West Coast
Drives: '98 Taurus SE, Duratec V6
DN101 will become famous soon enough

Goddamn your cams are clean, C.E...

I haven't even owned my car for long, but I still feel like I've got some explaining to do now...
DN101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:28 AM   #7 (permalink)

I think that is pretty solid proof as well that as long as you use decent motor oil and don't drive the piss out of the car, the oil change interval can now go 5-6k miles, and 3k mile oil changes are mearly obsolete. I wasn't expecting what I saw, because mom would usually go about 6k miles before I would realize that she was overdue according to the 3k interval. I expected all kinds of sludge. But she doesn't accelerate quickly or hot rod, so that helps.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 14275
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: A blue car
behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.E.Divine View Post
I think that is pretty solid proof as well that as long as you use decent motor oil and don't drive the piss out of the car, the oil change interval can now go 5-6k miles...
Can I ask what kind of oil you are using? Do you take it to the dealer for oil changes?
behlinla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

I have been using castrol gtx high mileage since I started doing the oil changes myself on my family's cars.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:24 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member Number: 11699
Drives: 2003 SES DOHC *** 2004 Sable DOHC
rdanville has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by doobious62 View Post
My 2004 is leaking oil, but it is not leaving a puddle anywhere. Can somebody help me?
You'll have to do a thorough search around the top and bottom of the engine. Look for wet areas.
rdanville is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement