Mercon vs. Mercon V - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2012, 12:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 20381
Drives: 96 Mercury Sable LS Wagon 3.0 DOHC Duratec
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
nbpt100 has a spectacular aura about
Default Mercon vs. Mercon V

I went back and read a number of threads on the Mercon V backward compatability stuff.

I know Ford says you can now use Mercon V in any Taurus with an Auto Trans. That was not always their position. Do they say what changed to allow them to change their position?

It is not clear to me if Ford endorses mixing the two in a trans that was originally spec'ed for Mercon.

I know some members have said they mixed the two and it has worked fine.

This topic has evolved over the years. As of today what is Ford's position on mixing the two fluids in a trans that originally called for Mercon.?

I know the Mercon V is a bit more money. Is there any real practicle advantage in using it over the Mercon? I can get the store brand Mercon (i.e. Supertech, Napa or Coastal) for a very good price and often in a convenient gallon jug. I never saw anthing negative over using the store brand ATF.

I don't mind paying more for the V but is it worth making the change in my next tansmission pan drop and filter change.

Last edited by nbpt100; 02-28-2012 at 12:07 AM.
nbpt100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2012, 06:40 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member Number: 37543
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: '97 Taurus SHO
Zuljin is an unknown quantity at this point

I can settle the quality bit. Mercon V is synthetic, so it's operating temperature range is a lot better. Considering how junk our slushboxes are, you want that extra insurance for when the heat creeps up.
Zuljin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2012, 12:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 10865
Trader Score: 1 reviews
sheila is a splendid one to beholdsheila is a splendid one to behold

Most mercon v atf is synthetic-blend. There are full synthetic atfs that meet and satisfy mercon v specs.

Last edited by sheila; 02-28-2012 at 11:11 PM.
sheila is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2012, 10:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 14275
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: A blue car
behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute

Synthetic blend vs conventional. Ford stopped making regular MERCON a few years ago, and it's perfectly fine to use MERCON V now. MERCON V fluid should last a little longer and you might get slightly better fuel economy in the cold.

So personally I would go with MERCON V since it's better than the old fluid. If you don't want to buy it at the dealer you can use Valvoline MERCON V.
behlinla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 09:55 AM   #5 (permalink)

I did find that Ford is saying the MERCON V is compatible with the Mercon and now the only ATF they recommend for previous Mercon applications.

It seems to bother people that Ford flipped their posion on this a few years ago. Understandably, this is confusing. I can only speculate why this happened. Some think the formulation changed. I read a lot in the past few days on this and I have not seen anything objective that suggests this. Some Other ATF MFG say they meet the Mercon V spec but are not certified by Ford to carry the Mercon Certification. I believe the Valvoline High Milage is one. Note there is a distinction in meeting/exceeding the spec and having certification by the spec owner. The former is the manufacturer saying saying so and the latter is the company owning the tradmark or spec agreeing with them. It likely comes down to politics and money.

I have also seen enough anecdotal endoursements from folks who have used the Super Tech, Valvoline and Castrol Mercon V that say it worked fine.

I found a good price on Castrol Mercon V at Advance Auto. Buy on line and PU at local store. You can use a coupon code online to get an additional discount.

Thanks to all who shared.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 10865
Trader Score: 1 reviews
sheila is a splendid one to beholdsheila is a splendid one to behold

Iirc, mercon v is back-spec'd for mercon applications only, not where the old ford type f atf was required.
sheila is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 02:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 36682
Drives: Sable LS Premium '03 Sable LS Prem Wagon '01 Sable LS prem '03 Wagon Li
chartmaker is a splendid one to beholdchartmaker is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbpt100 View Post
I did find that Ford is saying the MERCON V is compatible with the Mercon and now the only ATF they recommend for previous Mercon applications.

It seems to bother people that Ford flipped their posion on this a few years ago. Understandably, this is confusing. I can only speculate why this happened. Some think the formulation changed. I read a lot in the past few days on this and I have not seen anything objective that suggests this. Some Other ATF MFG say they meet the Mercon V spec but are not certified by Ford to carry the Mercon Certification. I believe the Valvoline High Milage is one. Note there is a distinction in meeting/exceeding the spec and having certification by the spec owner. The former is the manufacturer saying saying so and the latter is the company owning the tradmark or spec agreeing with them. It likely comes down to politics and money.

I have also seen enough anecdotal endoursements from folks who have used the Super Tech, Valvoline and Castrol Mercon V that say it worked fine.

I found a good price on Castrol Mercon V at Advance Auto. Buy on line and PU at local store. You can use a coupon code online to get an additional discount.

Thanks to all who shared.
My '01 Sable came with "V" as per the manual. I changed fluid/filter at 111K miles. It was not all that bad in the pan. I could see a difference in shifting. The 2-3 shift had been letting the rpm run up just a tick during the shift and TQ lockup was so smooth it was hardly notice, except for rpm drop.

After changing, the shifts are crisper, and the TQ lockup is sharp. I like that.
I cringe at the thought of TQ shudder. Been there done that in Essex with sloppy trans. Four of them.

I used Walmart fluid, "V".

Also did the same for my '03 but the difference was not so much. ~84K miles and the filter inside was dated "03" so it was original.

I see no reason to pay more for what I cannot see or feel.

There is some info not to mix types, but, that is not quite possible. But as for me, my 3 old Fords all came with "V" so no issue.

And this, I am sure going over 100K on original fluid is not the best, but mine is a local hauler and not a high priority. The engine and tranny will outlast the body in the rust belt.

-chart-
chartmaker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 02:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheila View Post
Iirc, mercon v is back-spec'd for mercon applications only, not where the old ford type f atf was required.

That is correct and just to be clearer. I have only been refering to automatic transmission applications and the straight Mercon. No suffix after it. Ford says Mercon V CAN NOT be used in transfer cases that spec Mercon. But not a concern for us Tauri and Sable owners.

I did find that Motorcraft has two types of Mercon V. A conventional tranny fliud and a semi-synthetic.
The Semi-synthetic says it was developed to be used in Autotrans after 1989 which speced Mercon and in power steering units after 1998 which speced Mercon. I am not sure how they want this interpretted. It does not specifically say to not use it for said applications before those years. They are very specific when it comes to other substitutions. My interpretation is that it is fine. Why should synthetic vs. non be an issue in an earlier PS system as long as it meets the Mercon V spec?

You can read more about both here:
FCSD Chemicals and Lubricants

The site provides some good info on a variety of Motorcraft lubricants and chemicals.

Thanks
Old 10-09-2012, 05:06 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member Number: 45748
Drives: "The Blue Goose" - 1995 Taurus GL Wagon, 3.0L Vulcan V-6
jhefner is on a distinguished road

I hope you all don't mind me re-opening this thread, but I have a question...

When I had the original Mercon fluid and filter changed this year; I assume my mechanic put Mercon V in it. (Neither my father nor I had ever changed it before.)

This summer, when temperatures hit 100+; the TC main bearing leaked like crazy. Now that temperatures are back below 90, it has once again stopped. (I drive 70 miles one way on my daily commute; basically across the DFW metroplex.

It had never done this before. I am wondering now if that is because Mercon V is a synthetic oil, and also because the transmission had 130,000 miles on it with regular Mercon. I am thinking next time I have it changed to have them put regular Mercon on it; and in the meantime top it off with regular Mercon as it is needed.

Thoughts?

-James
jhefner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 05:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 14275
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: A blue car
behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it has to do with the Mercon V instead of Mercon. I believe the fluid specifications and viscosities are pretty much the same. Mercon V might have more friction modifiers, and has synthetic content so it lasts longer. So I think if the seal was going to leak at high temps it would do so with either fluid.

A lot of shops still only stock Dex/Merc, so don't assume you got V unless you see it on your work order or asked the mechanic directly.
behlinla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.