Loss of Compression in Cylinder #6 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2011, 07:52 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 43772
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2002, SE, V6 OHV
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
acrobatman is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Loss of Compression in Cylinder #6

Hello Everyone, I took my car to the mechanic and he said we had loss of compression in #6 - which goes with the engine light error code of cylinder 6 misfires.

My car is just really weird. It will misfire with lots of loss of power after idling for a while (engine light also blinking then). then it will work fine. I can go 80 on the interstate (if the cops are not looking The idle is kind of rough and it smells like gas in the car.

So what exactly is going on in that cylinder? I am asking because I have to decide how much is a realistic price to fix it. Thinking of hiring someone from craigslist. The mechanic said it is probably a valve not sitting right, but i do not think he made a leak down test. Most of these private guys want to have the parts from me...and i want to make sure they are not pulling the wool over my eyes. Any ideas?

We thought it might have happened due to bad gas, the spark plug was fused together, really crazy.

BTW: 2002 Ford Taurus SE, V6 OHV, Automatic
acrobatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2011, 12:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 35327
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 2007 sel
Trader Score: 2 reviews
Bigdogg2830 is a jewel in the rough

well if you trust the mechanic that tested the cylinder then it might be a cracked ring, cracked head,bad head gasket or valves. i would do my own compression test. if it is low then add some oil to the cylinder and see if it improves. if it does then its the rings, if not its something else. it is possible the mechanic is lying, you do have a misfire and it might be a simple fix. plug, wire, coil.
Bigdogg2830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 11378
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Jeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond repute

What exactly does "lost compression" mean? Its down to 110 psi? 70 psi? zero psi?

DO not drive the car with a flashing CEL unless you want to spend $1000++ to replace the cats!
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
02 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
Jeff K is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement