1999 AX4N hard 1st to 2nd shift when hot - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2011, 12:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 23513
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
cdmoore74 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default 1999 AX4N hard 1st to 2nd shift when hot

Problem has been ongoing for almost a year. Feels like the transmission does not shift correctly from a complete stop, 1st to 2nd gear only. No issue what so ever when cruising or coming to a stop. I can get the problem to stop when I give it gas, let go of gas so that transmission has time to shift to second gear under little engine load, almost like driving a manual trans. If I drive normally there is a hesitation and a hard shift into second.
Currently I have a bad power steering rack with leaking oil pan; car is setting on jackstands (just taking my time, no rush). I figure that since I already have the exhaust off I should tackle this problem before it leaves my wife stranded.
The car has 170,000 on it and I hate the idea of putting a $1000 transmission into a car that I only need for about 30,000 miles due to money issues. I don't want to go used because it sounds like the transmission is the weak spot on this car and a 1999 AX4N is only compatible with that year. I have taken out engines and transmission before so this should be no different. Is there a component I can replace first or do I need to rebuild the transmission? Because the problem only happens when it warms up I want to say rebuild. Do you need special transmission tools to complete a rebuilt. It will be nice if a can pop off a cover and replace one part once trans is removed. Engine is Dohc. Fluid level was already checked and changed so that is not the problem.

Last edited by cdmoore74; 07-10-2011 at 12:37 PM.
cdmoore74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2011, 01:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 10865
Trader Score: 1 reviews
sheila is a glorious beacon of lightsheila is a glorious beacon of light

Change the vss. Other than a malfunctioning speedo, a slipping harsh 1-2 shift when warm is a classic symptom. Almost a maintenance item on a 99 tec. If not the vss, look to the tps (remote possibility).
sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 01:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member Number: 23306
robwiljas has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Mine does the exact same thing. I'm pretty sure it's the VSS and I have a new one for it but I can't reach it to replace it. I've replaced the TPS and TSS before. I really hope the VSS will fix it because I want to sell or trade this car for a minivan.
robwiljas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 03:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member Number: 23513
cdmoore74 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

You guys are great!!! Looks to be a cheap part at autozone. The android app is showing 3 different part numbers between $19 to $44. Anyone know the part number for a 99 AX4N VSS? Did they use different VSS's in that model year?

I feel dumb!! The reason is that AX4N was not the only trans put into these cars.
cdmoore74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

The autozone duralast (wells) vss part# is: su1067 for $19.99 2yr. warr. Oreilly borg-warner vss is: #s8318 for $24.99 lifetime warr. Ive used both with no problems, but i prefer borg-warner brand sensors (and the lifetime warr.). Ax4n has the 19 bolt pan, no speedo cable, only tranny used with the tec engine.

Last edited by sheila; 07-10-2011 at 08:41 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

^ Have you replaced it yet?
Old 07-25-2011, 09:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member Number: 36835
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2004 Taurus SES. DOHC. Black.
JTaurusSES is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Same issue, newer model.

Hi, i am having the exact same issue with my 2004 Taurus SES, only it seems that the VSS is no longer a part the these transmissions. Does anyone have any idea if there is a newer or similar component to these transmissions that would have the same function as a VSS? Its a AX4N transmission...Thanks!
JTaurusSES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Ford changed the name of the vss (vehicle speed sensor) to oss (output shaft speed sensor) in 2000. Still the tranny output sensor. Tss (turbine shaft speed sensor) is the tranny input sensor.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member Number: 21360
Drives: Matador red 03 Taurus wagon, Vulcan powered with 173k miles
heathersmanforlife has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to heathersmanforlife Send a message via MSN to heathersmanforlife Send a message via Yahoo to heathersmanforlife

I have a 95 Ax4N, its the same transmission literlly, had the symptoms you did, and my turbine shaft speed sensor was disconnected, which relates to the vehicle speed sensor. I just got lucky that one was disconnected. After you replace the sensor get the tranny flushed and change the filter, the hard shifts can dislodge crap into the tranny making your issues remain.
heathersmanforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member Number: 39557
Drives: '99 Taurus wagon 3.0 L 6cyl EFl
villagefarmer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1999 ax4n vss

My '99 Taurus Wagon AX4N is doing the same thing. Have just spent the last 30 min looking for the VSS. Could someone please tell me where it is located?

Should have know others would have asked the same question. Found the answer under its own topic.

Thanks All

Last edited by villagefarmer; 07-27-2011 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Found answer
villagefarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement