Transmission whine noise - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2011, 08:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
SUP

Member Number: 32145
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2007 Ford Taurus SEL
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
SUP is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Transmission whine noise

2007 Ford Taurus SEL
110,000 miles
last transmission service at 85,000 miles

On the way to work this morning noticed the transmission making a low whining noise as it went through gear changes. Had not heard this noise before. Did this on the way to work and back. Had not noticed this before. Temperature was normal this morning but 97 in the afternoon. Checked fluid level when I got home, it was a tad bit low. Put about 1/3 quart in and brought it up to bottom level on the grid when warm and idling. Drove around the block, same noise.

Suggestions on what this could be? I turned the wheel back and forth to make sure it was not power steering. Should I take it in and have the transmission serviced? I had it serviced almost two years ago.

SUP
SUP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2011, 08:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 640
Chapter: Southern
Drives: 2003 Ford Taurus SEL
qwertz9586 will become famous soon enough

It's overdue for a transmission service. It's recommended to change the fluid and filter every 30k miles (better at 20-25k miles).

[ 2003 Ford Taurus SEL ] - [ 1995 Mercury Sable GS ]
Ford Lincoln Mercury Sable? A personal conveyance named after its inventor, an
assassinated ruler, a character from Greco-Roman myth and a small furry mammal.
qwertz9586 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2011, 08:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 36682
Drives: Sable LS Premium '03 Sable LS '01 Sable LS '03 Wagon
chartmaker is a splendid one to beholdchartmaker is a splendid one to behold
Default Whine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUP View Post
2007 Ford Taurus SEL
110,000 miles
last transmission service at 85,000 miles

On the way to work this morning noticed the transmission making a low whining noise as it went through gear changes. Had not heard this noise before. Did this on the way to work and back. Had not noticed this before. Temperature was normal this morning but 97 in the afternoon. Checked fluid level when I got home, it was a tad bit low. Put about 1/3 quart in and brought it up to bottom level on the grid when warm and idling. Drove around the block, same noise.

Suggestions on what this could be? I turned the wheel back and forth to make sure it was not power steering. Should I take it in and have the transmission serviced? I had it serviced almost two years ago.

SUP
I would have the filter changed. I had a Chrysler product that suddenly started to whine at all speeds and gears. I pulled the pan and the filter had collapsed and was plugging the fluid inlet. Starving the pump would kill a trans in short order.

Just a thought.

-chart-
chartmaker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2011, 08:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
SUP

If I had time I would do it myself, but I don't right now. I will take it in tommorow and have them service it and change the filter. The vehicle looks and runs like new (except for this whine). Hopefully fresh fluid and a new filter will get it going. I hope I can get it serviced where they change all the fulid in the transmission and not just the part in the pan / filter.
SUP
Old 06-13-2011, 08:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 12182
Drives: a Taurus
danhasenauer has a spectacular aura about

Was the last service at a quick-lube type place? That could be part of your problem.

'96 LX DOHC Moonlight Blue
Every option but the car phone
RIP 'Ol Blue - 09/2012
danhasenauer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2011, 08:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
SUP

No the Ford Dealer was the one who serviced it last. It was serviced at 85,212 miles on March 2010. The pan was dropped and the only fluid changed at that time was the 6 quarts that was in the pan along with the filter. Prior to that change, I had it done at a place in Kingwood, Tx. where they changed all the fluid and filter. I am not near that site (300 miles away) (even though I am planning on visiting my brother in a few weeks).

SUP
Old 06-13-2011, 09:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Tell the Ford dealer to follow the FORD TSP to the letter for complete fluid change next time. That is shameful.

Edit: The fluid change procedure in our Topic Finder is based on the factory procedure. You can print it out and hand them a copy next time.

RIP 'Ol Blue - 09/2012
Old 06-13-2011, 09:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
SUP

That is probably why the whine is there. Some of the fluid has been in there too many miles while only 6 quarts was changed at 85,000. I did not see that until I looked at the receipt today. I thought all was changed. I will print it and have them change all tommorow along with the filter. Hopefully it will make a difference.

SUP
Old 06-13-2011, 09:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Here it is:

Here's the easiest and cleanest way to change the ALL the fluid and filter.

1. You may still spill some fluid when dropping the pan. Best just spread out the oil dry before starting.

2. Jack up the car and place on jack stands.

3. Next disconnect the line on the drivers side of the aux ATX cooler. Put the tranny side line in a five gallon bucket. Attach a piece of 3/8" hose to the cooler where you just disconnected the line and place it in the bucket.

4. Start the engine and wait until the fluid almost stops. There will be a definite difference in the amount flowing out.

5. Stop the engine.

6. Start loosening the bolts on the pan. There is still 3-4 quarts in the pan. Position a drain pan under the tranny pan and on the drivers side. Loosen and remove all the bolts but two on the passenger side. This will let the drivers side tip down as you then slowly loosen the remaining two. After the pan is mostly down and the fluid is in the drain pan remove the pan completely and replace the filter. Be sure to remove the rubber ring that will stick up in the tranny filter mount. Just bend it in with a screwdriver and pull it out with a needle nose. Do not scratch the aluminum tranny filter holding housing.

7. Reusing the OEM gasket and in a three pass sequence progressively tighten every other bolt until all are tightened. Do not over tighten as they really just need to be snug. Use a 1/4" ratchet drive socket.

8. Then add 10 quarts. Start the motor and wait until it almost stops pumping fluid out or until you see new fluid coming out. Better to waste a quart or two of new fluid to insure all the old stuff is out.

9. When the flow has almost stopped, shut off the engine and reconnect the hoses.

10. Add 5 quarts, idle motor and check level keeping it on the low side on the dipstick.

11. Then drive the car for a while to heat up the tranny fluid and recheck and top off the fluid.

The pan gasket is reusable if it is the OEM rubber one. Total system capacity is around 14-15 quarts. Buy a couple of extra quarts to get all the old stuff out.

RIP 'Ol Blue - 09/2012
Old 06-14-2011, 01:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 8024
Drives: 2006 SE Flex Fuel 75k
paker has a spectacular aura about

A related question. How do you distinguish transmission whine from PS whine?
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.