01 Taurus won't start after driving - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2010, 08:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 31083
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2001 Ford Taurus 3.0 EFI
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
kess4667 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 01 Taurus won't start after driving

Hello, 01 Taurus 3.0 will start just fine in the morning and drives great but once it gets warmed up it won't start after you turn it off. It still cranks but will not start until it sits for an hour or so. The check engine light is not on and I have even scanned for codes and nothing. I have replaced the crankshaft position sensor and the camshaft position sensor but neither one fixed the problem. Any ideas?
kess4667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2010, 09:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 1387
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 1997 Ford Taurus GL 2001 Mercury Sable LS Premium
firespirit has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to firespirit Send a message via MSN to firespirit Send a message via Yahoo to firespirit

How was the idle before this happened?
Old 08-29-2010, 09:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member Number: 31083
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2001 Ford Taurus 3.0 EFI
kess4667 is an unknown quantity at this point

The car has never had any issues with the idle. Sometimes after you drive it and turn it off it will start up for a second then start sputtering and die. Then it will just turn over and not start until it cools down.
kess4667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member Number: 21662
Srdude05 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I actually have this issue on my 99 Taurus. I feel like it is a heat soak issue with some type of sensor or the fuel pressure regulator is not maintaining pressure causing the hot engine to vaporize the fuel in the line. Does anyone know if the intake air temp sensor or ECT could cause this issue? In addition, I noticed that my idle right before I turned off my car was surging up and down a little. It was going from 900-400rpm until the car started moving again. Does that give any indication to a TPS being bad or a temp sensor not maintaining a correct signal?

Last edited by Srdude05; 08-30-2010 at 10:51 PM.
Srdude05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:16 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member Number: 19977
Drives: 1997 Mercury Sable GS
Dubeckyj has a spectacular aura about

It's some sort of problem with your closed-loop system. I'm thinking that when you're starting your car warm, it's starting in closed-loop since it's within closed-loop operating temp. but it doesn't like some part of data it's getting and won't run. 02 sensors, maybe?
Dubeckyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:20 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member Number: 21662
Srdude05 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

If you don't mind me asking, why should a car not operate in a closed loop? I thought that a closed loop is what a car normally operates in, as it connects all the readings of the IAT, MAF, and O2 sensors. Is this incorrect? Also, is the ECT apart of the closed loop system? I am thinking that it is possible that it is miss-reading the coolant temp and defaulting the engine into starting rich. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Srdude05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:32 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member Number: 20556
bobsjazz has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Smile 01 Taurus won't start after driving

Are you hearing the "thump" of the fuel pump in the gas tank ? My 03 Taurus had a similar problem. When the car had sit for a long time and was cold, the engine would start every time. When I took it for a drive and shut the engine off, it would not restart. I was not hearing that classic thump at the fuel tank. I checked the relay first to see if it was good. To be sure I was'nt throwing good money away, I had it towed to my Ford dealer for diagnosis. Sure enough it was the pump. It cost $98.00 for the diagnosis, but the dealer wanted $1300.00 to replaced the pump and filter. I said no thanks and waited until the next day to pick it up and drive it home. I replaced the pump and filter in my driveway with parts from Advance for $225.00. Good Luck.
bobsjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 04:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member Number: 28642
Ray Davis has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default 2001 Taurus Duratec same problem

I have been chasing a similar problem for several months now. The car starts and runs fine for several months until, once every couple of months, the fuel pump willl not run at key on. Voltage at the pump side of the IFS (Inertia Fuel Switch) is around 2 volts below battery voltage. Wait about 30 minutes and the problem goes away. Voltage at the pump side of the IFS when the car will start and run fine is .7-.8 volts below battery voltage. Jumping the battery with a running vehicle (battery around 14 volts) when the no start occurs will start the car and it runs fine. I have put in a new wire to the IFS from under the dash at connector 211. I have added a connection so I can quickly test the voltage at the input to connector 211 to see if the problem is before that connector. I am waiting for the problem to occur again
Ray Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 08:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member Number: 14061
webslingers has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I had this same problem with another car, and it turned out to be the neutral safety switch. I don't know much about these cars yet, so I don't know if that is relevant to this situation.
webslingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 10:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member Number: 24814
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 2000 taurus SES 3.0 OHV
2000turtle has a little shameless behaviour in the past

id scope out your o2's and your MAF and your MAP sensor.. (dpfe) i think is what its called by ford....
Advertisement