Transmission Leak with Photo - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2010, 11:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 31058
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2000 SES 3.0L V6 FI 138XXX Miles
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
MyDaughtersCar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Transmission Leak with Photo

The leak is coming from fly wheel cover plate. If I slightly pull up on the edge of the plate, the red fluid comes pouring out. I believe a seal is blown and the fluid is leaking into the fly wheel area and then leaking out from the fly wheel cover plate. Photos of the leak are attached.
Does anyone have a diagram or exploded view of what this could be?
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Transmission Leak with Photo-fluid-pouring-when-pressed.jpg   Transmission Leak with Photo-right-side.jpg  
MyDaughtersCar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2010, 01:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 14086
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 2007 Mazda Axela (3s) 2.3L I4 ATX
mediarocker has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via ICQ to mediarocker Send a message via AIM to mediarocker Send a message via MSN to mediarocker Send a message via Yahoo to mediarocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDaughtersCar View Post
The leak is coming from fly wheel cover plate. If I slightly pull up on the edge of the plate, the red fluid comes pouring out. I believe a seal is blown and the fluid is leaking into the fly wheel area and then leaking out from the fly wheel cover plate. Photos of the leak are attached.
Thanks
I'm willing to wager your suspicions are correct. Sorry I don't have those diagrams anymore because I ran out of ALLDATA subscription about the time my vehicle got totaled.

Maybe somone who has one can chime in. I'm pretty sure you're gonna have to separate the engine and the tranny to service this. Might be a good point to service the transmission and its filter if it hasn't been already.When was your last flush and fill? These vehicles thrive on clean fluid and proper care. All too commonly I see these vehicles neglected, and then the vehicle, or brand blamed as a consequence of poor ownership. Might also be a good place to consider adding a shift kit.

Something also Important, is this a Duratec DOHC 24V or a Vulcan OHV 12V? And does the pan say AXOD or AX4N METRIC or something along those lines? This can help us out a great deal more so someone can provide the correct graphics to assist you.

-2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT, 4.0L SOHC Cologne V6, 5R55E ATX Silver Birch Metallic
-2007 Nissan Quest 3.5SE, 3.5L VQ35DE DOHC V6, RE5F22A ATX Silver Mist Metallic
Lights on for safety!

Last edited by mediarocker; 08-28-2010 at 01:28 PM.
mediarocker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2010, 01:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 26577
egiroux is an unknown quantity at this point

Probably Torque Converter bearing and seal. Here's what happened to mine:
Transmission Fluid Leak
If It Has To Come Out...

Last edited by egiroux; 08-28-2010 at 01:51 PM.
egiroux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2010, 03:29 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member Number: 31075
Drives: 2001 SES Wagon 3.0L
Bikeman999 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Same Exact Thing

Looks Like I have same dilema. Noticed ATF fluid in driveway after a fully loaded vacation drive of 300miles. Checked ATF and it was within range on dipstick. Drove back and forth to work of 12 miles parking in clean space looking for leaks...none over a weeks time. Decided it was OK. Started trip this weekend, noticed some hestitation at Drive to OD shift point and saw RPMs waver between 2000 and ~2200 as I Drove at 60MPH. Seemed like it was dropping out of OD every couple of minutes irregardless of load. Going thru small town got a large shutter starting from a Red Light, but car seemed to shift normally into OD as I entered Interstate. After about 5miles, the Transaxle warning light came on. Seemed like Tranny stayed in D and didn't allow shifting to OD as RPMS were 2300 or so at cruising speed. Stopped at Nearest dealer, and saw no fluid on dipstick. Tried putting fluid in, but it ended up on the floor. Put it on lift and saw leak at same spot as your picture.
Don't know what to do....leave at dealer(which is 150miles from home), take to AAMCO, or just call and donate it. It's been great car with 94,000 miles but I don't want to dump a ton of money into it. Please indicate your finding..... I did see a TSB about fluid leaks but can't find it.
I did have the A/C compressor just recently replaced....Any connection here?
Bikeman999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2010, 03:33 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member Number: 28285
SpdMongrel has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Just had to fix mine. Replaced the converter and seal. Same symptoms you describe.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:42 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member Number: 31075
Drives: 2001 SES Wagon 3.0L
Bikeman999 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How Much did that cost?

I swa you had the same symptoms, did you do the work or did you have soemone do it and what did it cost?
Bikeman999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2010, 10:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 125
Trader Score: 4 reviews
shoz123 is an unknown quantity at this point

The seal fails usually because the fluid has been running too hot.
shoz123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2010, 12:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member Number: 31058
Drives: 2000 SES 3.0L V6 FI 138XXX Miles
MyDaughtersCar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Thanks
29AUG2010 - I removed the flywheel cover yesterday (photo) and did not see any leaks or cracks. I left the flywheel cover off and did some troubleshooting. I had to first remove the starter and then put it back to start the car (without the flywheel cover installed). All drips were cleaned up to check for new leaks. It took 2 qts of fluid to bring it up to mid mark on the dip stick. Test drove fine for about 1 mile. After that I found a single drop of fluid at the bottom of the flywheel housing (photo). More concerning was the leakage around the transmission pan (photo).
At this point I concluded the original problem (big fluid leak) may have been caused by a slow leak at the front seal that dripped down into the flywheel housing and accomulated for a long time and then at one time all leaked out. I then dropped the pan and replaced the transmission filter, cleaned the (very dirty) inside of the pan and replaced the gasket. I am going to fill the fluid today and check for leaks. To resolve the small leak at the front seal (flywheel), I might use Lucas fluid sealer.
Attached Thumbnails
Transmission Leak with Photo-flywheel-cover-removed.jpg   Transmission Leak with Photo-single-drop.jpg   Transmission Leak with Photo-pan-leak.jpg  
MyDaughtersCar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2010, 12:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 125
Trader Score: 4 reviews
shoz123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you have an aux cooler for the tranny? Sounds like it is only leaking at the front seal when it gets hot. This will eventually get worse unless it is kept under 250F or so.
shoz123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2010, 12:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 26577
egiroux is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
29AUG2010 - At this point I concluded the original problem (big fluid leak) may have been caused by a slow leak at the front seal that dripped down into the flywheel housing and accomulated for a long time and then at one time all leaked out....I might use Lucas fluid sealer.
Your conclusion is unlikely, and any 'seal conditioner' is not recommended as they soften then ruin all the seals they come in contact with. I was very disappointed when I figured out the true cause of the leak. I fixed it and I'm very pleased with the results.
egiroux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.