Hard Shift In Transmission - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2010, 11:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 25122
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
johnT has a little shameless behaviour in the past

96 Taurus Wagon, 80 K miles, OHV

Very hard shift from 1st to 2nd gear. Other then that car runs great. Any one? Thanks
johnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2010, 12:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 640
Chapter: Southern
Drives: 2003 Ford Taurus SEL
qwertz9586 will become famous soon enough

Change the trans fluid and filter. It could be a bad VSS if you're also having cruise control and speedometer issues. Other than that I'd live with it.

[ 2003 Ford Taurus SEL ] - [ 1995 Mercury Sable GS ]
Ford Lincoln Mercury Sable? A personal conveyance named after its inventor, an
assassinated ruler, a character from Greco-Roman myth and a small furry mammal.
qwertz9586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:12 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member Number: 11197
Borbet225 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I'd try the general service proceedure's mentioned, but don't recommend living with it. The final drive gear's in these transaxles are pretty weak, and wont stand up to much shock. Skipping a few hundred buck's of repair's, could end up costing you a lot more.
Borbet225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 12:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member Number: 25122
johnT has a little shameless behaviour in the past

QUOTE (Sable98W @ Mar 10 2010, 03:12 AM)
Quote:
I'd try the general service proceedure's mentioned, but don't recommend living with it. The final drive gear's in these transaxles are pretty weak, and wont stand up to much shock. Skipping a few hundred buck's of repair's, could end up costing you a lot more.[/b]
-----------

Changed the trans oil, but jolt from 1st to 2nd is still there. Beside this, car runs great with no issue at all.
johnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member Number: 23127
coldspit47 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

im actually having the same problem - im about to try replacing the tps, since a couple other guys did the same thing to relieve their hard shifts...
Old 03-31-2010, 06:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Member Number: 16396
Drives: 2003 Taurus SE Fleet Now Made Non Fleet and puts it into a SES Bracket!
Gentz has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Okay one quick suggestion by me. In doing any of this, have either of you reset the transmission computer? This entails a simple taking off the battery for a few minutes and then putting it back on. I suggest this because the transmission learns how you drive, with its shift points and such. With a reset of the computer it will relearn and sometimes get rid of that clunky shift that could be caused from harder driving switching to easier driving. The Gen 3 and Gen 4 I'm positive learn but the gen 2 I'm not sure of, any one else wanna chime in for me that would be great!
Gentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

QUOTE (Gentz @ Mar 31 2010, 06:13 PM)
Quote:
Okay one quick suggestion by me. In doing any of this, have either of you reset the transmission computer? This entails a simple taking off the battery for a few minutes and then putting it back on. I suggest this because the transmission learns how you drive, with its shift points and such. With a reset of the computer it will relearn and sometimes get rid of that clunky shift that could be caused from harder driving switching to easier driving. The Gen 3 and Gen 4 I'm positive learn but the gen 2 I'm not sure of, any one else wanna chime in for me that would be great! [/b]

(94 taurus 3.0l v6) - i tried that and left the battery disconnected for about an hour to completely stupefy the computer, then reconnected them...in fact, after i did that, it drove better than when i got it...but only for a little while...then it went right back to hard shifting and barkin the tires
Old 03-31-2010, 07:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 3141
Drives: 2003 Taurus SES with a Vulcan. Base SES with sunroof
daveromanjr has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to daveromanjr

QUOTE (coldspit47 @ Mar 31 2010, 07:27 PM)
Quote:
QUOTE (Gentz @ Mar 31 2010, 06:13 PM)
Quote:
Okay one quick suggestion by me. In doing any of this, have either of you reset the transmission computer? This entails a simple taking off the battery for a few minutes and then putting it back on. I suggest this because the transmission learns how you drive, with its shift points and such. With a reset of the computer it will relearn and sometimes get rid of that clunky shift that could be caused from harder driving switching to easier driving. The Gen 3 and Gen 4 I'm positive learn but the gen 2 I'm not sure of, any one else wanna chime in for me that would be great! [/b]

(94 taurus 3.0l v6) - i tried that and left the battery disconnected for about an hour to completely stupefy the computer, then reconnected them...in fact, after i did that, it drove better than when i got it...but only for a little while...then it went right back to hard shifting and barkin the tires
[/b][/quote]
I'd still recommend that for the 96, give it a whirl and see how it comes about.

The 94, however, I'm not sure if it has the "learning" transmission. With your scenario I'd definitely think a flush is in order. The tranny's 1-2 shift can be amazing hard even in the lightest of conditions, just keep that in mind if you do get a flush as it won't be silky smooth, unfortunately.

Come join in on what TCCA was all about at The Taurus and Sables Owners Club.

No drama, no petty personal issues. Just cars and their owners.
daveromanjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

mine has the learning computer - but you have to leave the battery disconnected for at least an hour...and it takes ~50 miles for it to completely relearn its points...im kinda afraid to flush the tranny since i dont think its ever been done - so i dont want to put brand new slick tranny fluid in when it goofs a bit already...
Old 07-04-2012, 11:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member Number: 44924
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 01 Taurus with a 3.0 Vulcan
goon is an unknown quantity at this point

I found this discussion because I'm also having a hard shift in my 01 Taurus from first to second. I also noticed last week that the cruise control no longer works. I had the transmission flushed about a month ago and although that seemed to help for about two days, the hard shifting returned. The car seems to run fine once it's in gear - gets up to 80 MPH no problem and runs smooth - but it shifts hard.
I've seen the VSS referred to earlier in this discussion. Would that be a likely starting point?
goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement