Transmission Speed Sensor - Sho - Where Is It?!? - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2009, 05:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 21665
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
SHOguy34 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Hello All! The transmission in my 97 Taurus slips intermittently. It will be operating normally and suddenly let go. The engine will rev but the tranny won't pull. It will maintain a very low speed, and occasionally grab, but basically acts like the car's in neutral. If I let it cool down or sit, it will function normally for a few weeks and then do this again.

Someone has suggested to me that the Transmission Speed Sensor needs to be replaced as this is exactly what happened to their Taurus. My question is, where is this thing located on the vehicle? Has anyone replaced one before? Thanks for the help and the ideas.....The ford dealer has one supposedly in stock so I'm thinking I am going to go get it!
SHOguy34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2009, 06:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member Number: 10613
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 2011 Ford Fusion SE V6
machausta has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via ICQ to machausta Send a message via AIM to machausta Send a message via MSN to machausta Send a message via Yahoo to machausta

QUOTE (SHOguy34 @ Aug 11 2009, 05:21 PM)
Quote:
Hello All! The transmission in my 97 Taurus slips intermittently. It will be operating normally and suddenly let go. The engine will rev but the tranny won't pull. It will maintain a very low speed, and occasionally grab, but basically acts like the car's in neutral. If I let it cool down or sit, it will function normally for a few weeks and then do this again.

Someone has suggested to me that the Transmission Speed Sensor needs to be replaced as this is exactly what happened to their Taurus. My question is, where is this thing located on the vehicle? Has anyone replaced one before? Thanks for the help and the ideas.....The ford dealer has one supposedly in stock so I'm thinking I am going to go get it! [/b]
That would be my first guess, with TPS being the second. Use the search for more information.

Welcome to the club!

Oh, and make sure to get your camshafts welded...now...if they haven't been already.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member Number: 21665
SHOguy34 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

QUOTE (Jeremiah @ Aug 11 2009, 03:30 PM)
Quote:
QUOTE (SHOguy34 @ Aug 11 2009, 05:21 PM)
Quote:

Someone has suggested to me that the Transmission Speed Sensor needs to be replaced as this is exactly what happened to their Taurus. My question is, where is this thing located on the vehicle? Has anyone replaced one before? Thanks for the help and the ideas.....The ford dealer has one supposedly in stock so I'm thinking I am going to go get it! [/b]
That would be my first guess, with TPS being the second. Use the search for more information.

Welcome to the club!

Oh, and make sure to get your camshafts welded...now...if they haven't been already.
[/b][/quote]

Thanks!!! My question now is whether its the Turbine Speed Sensor or would it more likely be the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) I've been told it probably isn't the VSS as the speedo, cruise control, and tranny shifts are working good.....well, except for when I get false neutrals.

And yes, cams are welded! Thanks!
SHOguy34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 640
Chapter: Southern
Drives: 2003 Ford Taurus SEL
qwertz9586 will become famous soon enough

V8 SHOs don't have VSS, they use the ABS sensors for speed.

[ 2003 Ford Taurus SEL ] - [ 1995 Mercury Sable GS ]
Ford Lincoln Mercury Sable? A personal conveyance named after its inventor, an
assassinated ruler, a character from Greco-Roman myth and a small furry mammal.
qwertz9586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement