Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2006
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Garage
Trader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
With the '96 I never felt the need for turning the "OD" off. With the '01, I drive daily trough a tunnel - on the "up" incline (it's loong) I am shifting in "D", because it is so annoying no to have 'umpf' - I have slow at bottom of ramp to moderate-high speed at top (I know, stupid people, that's how they drive, scared of being under water I guess) .
Yep, they really neutered it to give better economy numbers. CAFE and the stupid restrictions really irritate me given how efficient cars already are and how fast electric cars are approaching...

I switch to "D" when I get off the freeway for similar reasons. Lots of gradual slopes, and in lockup I have no power at all, and often it falls down to the lower gear anyway before I reach the top of the hill, which makes it pointless to begin with.
msmith65 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 10:46 PM

Chapter: Northeast

Trader Score: 0 reviews
I just went through this thread and just chiming in with my experience w/ my mother's 05 Vulcan.

We had the trans rebuilt last year at 90k, sheared the pump shaft w/o warning. It's got 96k on it now and just recently it started acting up with the 1-2 shift being jerky/hesitant at random. I've tried replicating it a few times I drove the car and managed to do it under light throttle. It also seemed to jerk when I did a 3-2 downshift with 3/4 ish throttle. Trans still has about another month or so under 1 yr warranty so I plan on taking it back to the place and have them diagnose. I've read about the VSS but I didn't notice the speedo do anything strange and it operates as usual when the symptoms occur.

Just want to add, we had recently acquired a used car from a small lot. The owner had a few 00+ Taurus/Sables on the lot and we talked a bit about them and I mentioned we had to do a rebuild on the trans of ours. He was surprised and told me he's sold dozens of them over the years ranging in mileage and not one ever had any transmission issues. Luck of the draw I suppose.
post #43 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 05:06 PM

Chapter: Southeast
Year: 2000
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Garage
Unhappy 2000 CE AX4N on it's last legs

My 2000 CE is a sweet car the body and interior are amazingly clean
3.0L DOHC is strong, AX4N transmission is not as awesome.

Sometimes in the morning I will put car in gear and it takes 15-20 seconds before I get power to my wheels, it never shifts to OD while driving and if I slow to make a turn it acts like it is in neutral for a couple of seconds

I am faced with options of varying financial impact
Junkyard, $ cheap roll the dice option
Rebuild, $$ depends on shop / tech / day of week
Reman, $$$ most expensive option also longest warranty

Like some input from the members on how they have dealt with this.
post #44 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 07:32 AM

Year: 1997
Model: Ford Taurus Wagon
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Garage
what i notice about my AX4N is this:
1 bangs on reverse
2 it doesn't like high revs then jerks when shifting
3 even though it's a 4 speed trany (which mean it supossed to shift 3 times) you'll feels the shift 4 time. Torque converter likes to lock up late like during low 3rd gear like for ex: 1st-2nd 2nd-3rd(low) 3rd(low)-3rd(high) 3rd-4th like this every time.
4O.D doesn't work when the tranny is cold
5: there a tiny groan when your drive first in the morning (usually after your have it parked for a bit)
post #45 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 10:13 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Year: 2003
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Chemi View Post
what i notice about my AX4N is this:
1 bangs on reverse
2 it doesn't like high revs then jerks when shifting
3 even though it's a 4 speed trany (which mean it supossed to shift 3 times) you'll feels the shift 4 time. Torque converter likes to lock up late like during low 3rd gear like for ex: 1st-2nd 2nd-3rd(low) 3rd(low)-3rd(high) 3rd-4th like this every time.
4O.D doesn't work when the tranny is cold
5: there a tiny groan when your drive first in the morning (usually after your have it parked for a bit)
The #4 is designed in for emissions. Tranny will not lock up until the fluid reaches some specific temp. Another poster checked the actual and got 100F. It makes the engine warm up faster and reach optimum efficiency.

I have 2 03's and one Lin Cont, none of the other issues. The Lincoln just shifts better period. Ford could have made the Bulls shift like the Lin but they chose to not.

And for the record, 4 speed shifts 3 times plus lockup. Under light throttle it might lockup in gear 3 in normal up to speed. Shift in gear 3 and it will lockup just fine, nice for towing. Never tow in gear 4 = OD.

-chart-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page