Chirp Noise At Idle, Not S-belt - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2008, 10:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 8624
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
shaggy3264 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Unhappy

I have an 03 3.0l OVH fuel flex with 52k miles. I noticed it's makes a chirping noise when i start up on the driver's side of the engine.

If I push on the throttle the noise goes away or if the car is warmed up, it doesn't occur. I can definitely tell it's not the s-belt or any of the pulleys.

The car is kept in a heated garage, so it was never below 60* F. About twice in the last six months, maybe 40 seconds after i've started my car and drove it almost died and did die. A few times I had to hit the gas to make sure i started. I think that might be related.

I did first suspect the s-belt for the chirping and stalls, but it's definitely in good shape and the noise isn't coming from it.

I've attached a picture (not of my car) but it shows where the noise is coming from.

From what I've searched, it sound like it might be the cam sensor, but when it's warmed up it goes away which doesn't seem to match the problem.

On a possible related note, I've tried e-85 a while ago (before this problem) and I had hard time starting my car. I had to push the pedal down to start it.

Any ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg taurus_engine.jpg (27.0 KB, 212 views)
shaggy3264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2008, 11:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Don't Be Stupid

Member Number: 4508
Chapter: Southern
Drives: 2010 SEL 2000 Tec
Trader Score: 1 reviews
00tec-satx is on a distinguished road

Camshaft position sensor

Search CPS here on the forum, you'll find writeups and several occurances such as your own. Common failure really...

00tec-satx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 2120
Chapter: Southern
Drives: 2008 F150 FX2 / 1995 Subaru SVX LSi
ffvulcanpowah has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to ffvulcanpowah

Camshaft synchronizer assembly. The c.p.s sits on top of it. Odd that it's giving you trouble so early, but the 00-03's did have a problem with them.

The cars have trouble with cold starts on e-85, regardless of the functionality of the synchro.

"YOU WILL ALL BOW DOWN TO MY AWESOME SHO THAT IS REALLY JUST A TAURUS WITH FIDDLY BITS AND TWO MORE CYLINDERS!!!11ONE" -Dan
"If you got the lack of sense to mod a TAURUS you should be allowed to cut a hole in your hood. Let everyone see the extent of your madness" -Luke
ffvulcanpowah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 08:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member Number: 8624
shaggy3264 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

So it sounds like I should replace the synchronize and the sensor while I am at it. How hard of job is it to do yourself. Do i need to be a TOD or anything similar.

What parts work best? Researching it i found the Dorman may or may not be good. I only want to do this once, so I don't mind spending money on a quality part.

I'd like to get a new motorcraft, but i can't figure out the part number. I'd like the sync and the sensor
shaggy3264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 01:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 3350
Nidan has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via MSN to Nidan

From what i've heard, stay away from the Dorman part. If you go to the dealership, they'll be able to look up the one you need using your VIN. Or just go to a parts store and tell them what you have - they should be able to look them up for you just fine. It's not that hard to do it yourself. Take the sensor off, and put a mark from the synchro vane to the housing. Also mark the housing to the block. Remove the synchro, and transfer your marks to the new part. Install it and make sure your marks are lined up. There, done. It doesn't have to be in EXACTLY the same spot to run fine, but if you're too far out, you'll know, as it may misfire and you'll get a hesistation when you hit the gas.

- Barenaked Ladies
(it suits me so well sometimes, heh)
Nidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 11:40 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member Number: 3969
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 4.6
Trader Score: 1 reviews
rdh2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
So it sounds like I should replace the synchronize and the sensor while I am at it. How hard of job is it to do yourself. Do i need to be a TOD or anything similar.

What parts work best? Researching it i found the Dorman may or may not be good. I only want to do this once, so I don't mind spending money on a quality part.

I'd like to get a new motorcraft, but i can't figure out the part number. I'd like the sync and the sensor
[/b]
Stay very far away from Dorman.

I bought a Cardone reman at NAPA for $55, P/N 30-S2600, with synch and sensor

Ford-Motorcraft P/N is DA2089, about $200, with synch and sensor

2002 Taurus SE "Evelyn" 221K+ miles 3.0 Vulcan AX4S - RIP
1995 Taurus GL "Bonnie" 72000 miles 3.0 Vulcan AX4N - RIP

If you need help with a Taurus problem, feel free to PM me or www.taurusowners.com
rdh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 06:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member Number: 16435
nbarnard has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Just wanted to comment that I had same symptoms (car chirping at idle, and getting progressively worse). Tonight I replaced with Cardone 30-S2600 (not L - although they looked identical). Took about 1 hour and could probably now do in 1/2 hour.

Just a couple things to add to above instructions:

1) Mark CPS cap rotation before removal
2) Remove CPS cap and mark location of shaft lobe on synchronizer, before removal.
3) Wire assembly is a bit of a pain to get around, but I managed to pry it out of the way without breakage/damage to plastic wire housing.

Nathan
Note: my 2003 has 170,000km on it.
nbarnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement