Pcm Location? - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2008, 04:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 15123
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Ryans2kidz has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Does anyone have a diagram of the PCM or could anyone tell me its location? Also, can a used PCM be put in a 1997 Taurus?
Ryans2kidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2008, 05:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 899
godspunk32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to godspunk32

The PCM is located in the firewall, on the passenger's side of the car, below the black plastic cowl. It's easy to find, just look for the giant bundle of wires that runs into a black plastic cover on the firewall.

A used PCM can be installed, however, you need to make sure that the PCM code matches the options of your car, ie, Vulcan and AX4S or Vulcan and AX4N. If you have PATS, which I don't think you do, you'll also need to get that programmed at the dealer, which is about $125, and the car won't start without it.

FWIW, I bought a new PCM for my Sable for about $260 from Torrie at fastpartsnetwork.com, and it was the correct PCM for my car.

JR

godspunk32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

The PCM is out but I don't see any numbers on it like what you mentioned. Also, does the PCM have to come out of the exact year Taurus?
Old 04-04-2008, 09:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 13722
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 1996 Ford Taurus G 3.0 OHV "Vulcan" No longer with us. :(
DaveX 3.0 is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't throw a part dart at it. You have no reason to believe that the PCM is bad. You remind me of a kid who was in my advanced diag class. Mercury Cougar, started, wouldn't stop running when you shut it off. He continued to condemn the PCM without any reason. In the end, I found that it was a short to power in the rear wiper circuit causing the issue.

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?...st&p=611359

Previous cars:
1997 Geo Prizm
1996 Ford Taurus G

Formerly "Mr. X"
DaveX 3.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 10:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:

Don't throw a part dart at it. You have no reason to believe that the PCM is bad. You remind me of a kid who was in my advanced diag class. Mercury Cougar, started, wouldn't stop running when you shut it off. He continued to condemn the PCM without any reason. In the end, I found that it was a short to power in the rear wiper circuit causing the issue.

[/b]

Quote:

[/b]

I'm just tickled pink for you--I hope that your "student" was too, grasshopper!
Old 04-05-2008, 12:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Devoted Member

I'm just saying, even the biggest issues could be caused by little things like bad grounds, shorts to power, shorts to ground, and open circuits. You can't simply condemn the PCM because your fans won't work without checking any wiring. I'm trying to stop you from wasting money on a part without getting other things tested first.

If you want to throw a new (or used working) PCM in the car, then go right ahead. But there's a pretty good chance that it's not going to make your fans start working for you.

And he wasn't "my" student. I was in the class with him, he was a fellow student, and he should have gone back to the Basic Electric course, because he didn't even know how to check for voltages properly.

To diagnose your problem properly, you'll need a DMM, and you'll need to get some wiring diagrams (I have a Hayne's manual for my car, it's not great, but at least I've got some wiring diagrams). Where I'd start is, like I posted in the other topic you made, check fuses. If there are no bad fuses, check your wiring diagrams and check all the circuits for the fans. You're going to need to understand the basics of electricity, and how to test for voltage drops and available voltage.

And even if you do find a bad fuse, something had to cause that fuse to blow, so you'd still probably be doing some testing to find what is causing the fuses to let go.

I don't see why you even thought the PCM was bad in the first place. Your fans stopped working, but everything else is still working fine.

Previous cars:
1997 Geo Prizm
1996 Ford Taurus G

Formerly "Mr. X"
Old 04-05-2008, 12:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 125
Trader Score: 4 reviews
shoz123 is an unknown quantity at this point

You can generally use a PCM that has the same three letters. The last number may be different.
shoz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:46 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member Number: 8940
madhatter256 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

What kind of problem are you having that makes you think you'll need a new PCM or is this just a general question like people tend to ask but get shunned. It happens a lot.
madhatter256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 09:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Quote:
What kind of problem are you having that makes you think you'll need a new PCM or is this just a general question like people tend to ask but get shunned. It happens a lot.
[/b]
He had made a topic about his cooling fans and AC not working and said he replaced the Coolant temp sensor and the CCRM with no success. He was asking if a PCM could be "tested".

I told him to check wiring before he condemned the PCM and he said he didn't know where to start. I told him to at least start checking for blown fuses.

But at that point, I didn't realize he already started this topic. And now, he has a 3rd topic (3 topics for the same issue?) about actually changing the PCM and supposedly it worked. He got all upset with me and pointed out how he went "against my advice" and it worked, but I was trying to tell him that the PCM was not the issue, I was simply trying to tell him that he shouldn't continue to throw parts at the car without checking wiring and trying to properly diagnose it. The 3 topics for this one issue really wasn't necessary either.

The First Topic

You're currently in the 2nd topic.

The Third Topic

Because everyone loves jumping through topics to discuss the same problem.

Previous cars:
1997 Geo Prizm
1996 Ford Taurus G

Formerly "Mr. X"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement