Small Oil Leak - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2008, 06:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 10151
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
silversn95 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Question

So, I was due for my next oil change at the dealer (they gave me 4 free ones as part of the purchase) and asked them to look at my oil pan for a minor leak. I have noticed the bull leaves it's mark in my garage. Last time I was under there it looked like the pan might be leaking.

Well...the service manager finds me in the lounge and tells me they won't do the oil change until the leak is fixed..... by replacing the short block!!!! Seems the leak is coming from the gasket between the upper and lower block. I did not expect that answer and I'm actually very disappointed with the engine build quality. In this day and age all manufactures should be able to assemble a leak free engine!!

So in the next day or two they will call me for my appointment to replace the lower engine assembly. They need to OK it with Ford service and order the assembly. I'm nervous about them not doing the repair successfully. Not just removing the engine and replacing the short block but making sure everything goes back together with no issues. At least I only have to pay the $100 deductable, hate to think how much I'd be out if I didn't get the coverage as part of the sale. This sucks. I'm going to cross my fingers and hope they do a good job.

2003 Taurus SEL Premium: so far just the tint that came with it.

2009 Pontiac Vibe: 1SB package 1.8L 5-speed, 20% tint
silversn95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2008, 09:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 640
Chapter: Southern
Drives: 2003 Ford Taurus SEL
qwertz9586 will become famous soon enough

Upper and lower block? There's only one engine block. You mean it's leaking between the block and heads? Really I think it's more likely it's a bad oil pan gasket (pretty common on both engines). Mine's leaking minutely and it's not losing a whole lot of oil so I just live with it. A piece of cardboard under the car soaks up the mess.

[ 2003 Ford Taurus SEL ] - [ 1995 Mercury Sable GS ]
Ford Lincoln Mercury Sable? A personal conveyance named after its inventor, an
assassinated ruler, a character from Greco-Roman myth and a small furry mammal.
qwertz9586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 11:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member Number: 11538
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: None
three50one has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Upper and lower block? There's only one engine block. You mean it's leaking between the block and heads? Really I think it's more likely it's a bad oil pan gasket (pretty common on both engines). Mine's leaking minutely and it's not losing a whole lot of oil so I just live with it. A piece of cardboard under the car soaks up the mess.
[/b]

I was confused as well. All the things that leak can be replaced. I'm thinking either he misunderstood the explanation or the shop is thinking "we got another one!"
Old 02-24-2008, 11:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 125
Trader Score: 4 reviews
shoz123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

The Duratec has an upper and lower block. The lower block is the cradle for the crankshaft. V8 is the same way.
Attached Images
File Type: gif STH_us_en_file_A18883A_gif_gen_ref.gif (15.5 KB, 232 views)
shoz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 12:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member Number: 11538
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: None
three50one has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
The Duratec has an upper and lower block. The lower block is the cradle for the crankshaft. V8 is the same way.
[/b]

Understood. Heh, you learn something new every day. Is there really any benefit to being cast this way or is it a cost cutting thing?
Old 02-25-2008, 12:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 125
Trader Score: 4 reviews
shoz123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

This gives a much stronger bottom end. I don't think it was done for cost reasons.
shoz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 12:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 1808
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 2007 Mazdaspeed 3
silvapain is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to silvapain

+1 - it's like a main girdle for the crank. Much better than two or four bolt mains.

Current:
2002 Pontiac GTP 40th Anniversary Edition
2007 Mazdaspeed3

Past:
1997 V8 SHO Silver Frost - ELISJOY
1997 V8 SHO Ebony Satin - RIPElaineRIP
1997 Vulcan GL - RIPSuzanneRIP
1990 Vulcan Sable - NONAME
silvapain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 12:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 140
spridget has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via Yahoo to spridget

I have a hard time believing the leak is actually coming from the split between the upper and lower blocks. That is extremely unlikely. A gap like that would represent a manufacturing defect, and I don't think the engine would even run very long before failing. The crank shaft would not set correctly in the main bearings. The piston skirts would probably wear or bind in the cylinder.

I'm not buying it. I've never heard of a Duratec or SHO ever having this problem. I'm raising the flag.

Secondly, I would not trust a shop to replace ONLY the lower half of the block. If this is indeed the problem area, I think the entire engine should be replaced. If there is a problem with the lower half sealing, what makes them so sure the problem isn't with the upper half as well?
spridget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 01:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member Number: 540
zenriddles will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I'm raising the flag.
[/b]
You can stow the flag - I've seen it twice. There is NO gasket between the main block and the lower girdle - just a bead of RTV - No Kidding.
I've seen 2 V8's leak there because the bead of glue was too thin and it let oil through. Simply a sealant application flaw. Not a huge leak, just a "weeping seam" that you just CAN'T fix.
All the girdle bolts are TTY just to make matters worse. When you take it apart, everything is throw away anyhow, so why NOT just replace it?

I'd be pretty happy getting the zero mile shortblock for $100.00 upgrade.

+1 on not trusting the shop to pull apart the top of the original motor and get it all back together well.

Eric Lehmann

Lots of V8 SHO's
zenriddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 02:22 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member Number: 10151
silversn95 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

The repair work will be completed by the dealer so I think they should know what they are doing
My thoughts are it is the bead of sealant isn't sufficient, damage to the flange faces or maybe the flanges are not to spec for flatness either. There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the motor otherwise. She has plently of power and no strange noises coming from it.

Unrelated to this, a buddy at work had his Lincoln LS's short block assembly swapped out due to another issue and he has been running fine since the change. He has the 3.0L Duratec in that one as well.

All I know is that I'm going to look over every square engine under hood and under body to make sure all fasteners are present and accounted for when it is all done.

2003 Taurus SEL Premium: so far just the tint that came with it.

2009 Pontiac Vibe: 1SB package 1.8L 5-speed, 20% tint
silversn95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement