Transmission Removal/reinstallation - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2008, 07:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 4367
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
modemagic has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to modemagic

Does anyone have a .PDF document or any sort of how-to on removing a transmission and reinstalling a transmission on a Gen 2 Taurus?

Also, my '93 has a AX4S in it now, can I put a AX4N in the car and just swap the computer for it as well or do I need to do anything else?
modemagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2008, 08:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 113
rudedog is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to rudedog Send a message via MSN to rudedog Send a message via Yahoo to rudedog

Quote:
Does anyone have a .PDF document or any sort of how-to on removing a transmission and reinstalling a transmission on a Gen 2 Taurus?

Also, my '93 has a AX4S in it now, can I put a AX4N in the car and just swap the computer for it as well or do I need to do anything else?
[/b]

I've got a few pics in here

May 2008 Car of The Month/Car of the Year 2008
'93 GL 3.0L, BOOTY'S BLUE BUCKET O' BOLTS
February Car of the Month T.S.O.C.
March Car of The Month T.C.C.A.
2003 SES 3.0L, GHOST

'93 SHO 3.2L, SNIPER SHO
rudedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member Number: 4367
modemagic has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to modemagic

Quote:
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

I've got a few pics in here
[/b][/quote]

Definitely worth the read.... but not exactly what I had in mind.

The Chilton's (Yeah yeah, I know) says the transmission can be pulled in 28 easy steps.... We'll see. The junkyard has a '95 with a transmission in it that is good, so I think I'm going to have them pull it to put in my '93. I'm not sure if it's the AX4S or AX4N yet though. If it's the later of the two... do I need to swap anything else besides the transmission? Computer?
modemagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 12:44 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member Number: 4790
g2 street taurus has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:

[/b]
You need an AX4S, which is easier to find in a G2 anyways.

I just finished my tranny swap last month. Here's a link to my post about it :

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/inde...howtopic=53133

Not too hard just time consuming. The things that slowed me down were rusted exhaust bolts, tie rod and ball joint removal, and a spinning subfame bolt. But it feels great when its back together and the tranny shifts smooth!

1986 Ford Merkur XR4TI 2.3L Turbocharged and Fast - K&N, A/C Delete, 2.5" Exhaust,S O L D
g2 street taurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 02:01 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member Number: 17197
Grease Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats it.
I am taking full photos of my removal this week.
Its very considerate and all that you fellas take the time to share but what your not sharing is the critical details.
Like what to remove and what not to remove to drop the subframe.
IE steering knuckles, control arms, rack and pinion, struts, stabelizer bars etc etc etc..
I would like to find a thread just once (on any forum) with a well documented removal procedure. I think that will be me posting the 1st.

I have a nice little digi cam and thew time to snap pics so I will.
Another thing that bugs me is no one ever lists bolts sizes to help others save time searching the box.
( I'm just a grumpy old man some times ! you have to look over me LOL! )
Grease Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 899
godspunk32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to godspunk32

Would you like us to come do the work for you, too?

Sometimes there just aren't enough people interested in a write-up, and everyone here is busy, so they don't get done.

Personally, I've written up several that are in the Wiki. Nothing as big as removing a transmission, but there are many helpful threads out there, as well as several with detailed pictures.

You want to see a pretty complete thread, look at spridget's guide to the 3.0L Duratec, with all the information you need to build a hybrid motor for swap into a Contour.

JR

godspunk32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 07:12 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:

Sometimes there just aren't enough people interested in a write-up, and everyone here is busy, so they don't get done.

Personally, I've written up several that are in the Wiki. Nothing as big as removing a transmission, but there are many helpful threads out there, as well as several with detailed pictures.

You want to see a pretty complete thread, look at spridget's guide to the 3.0L Duratec, with all the information you need to build a hybrid motor for swap into a Contour.

JR
[/b]
Yeah if you wouldn't mind. Then I'll take pics of you doing the work and post them.
( maybe you need to check out all the PDF files I have contributed in the past two days while l have been looking it all up my self else where like google. I pull my weight just fine thank you )

All I am saying is if your going to site a thread as an example on how to remove a transmission and then show absolutely no removal or install it makes it pretty dang useless for folks like my self and the OP.
I could take a pic of a trans out of the car, and a trans in the car too but that wouldn't help any one out.
If they wanted to look at that all they have to do is look under the hood of their broken down car out side when they take a break from seeking help on a Ford lovers DIY mech. web forum.

I don't mean to sound as arrogant as this is coming across. ( internet and all that ) I guess you have to hear it in person in the tone I am thinking it like I would say it or something ?

Its just that with the wealth of knowledge we have here there is not ONE complete follow through step by step other then a transmission flush, yet every one is saying "come look at my thread showing a good example of a trans swap" to any one who asks about a trans swap. Just with out the swap part.
I found better examples via PDF files google searching for hours actually.
( which is what we are suppose to be saving folks from having to do)
LOL!

We are all here to help each other out. And from what I see all do or at least try to.
Then that would be one hell of a good way to help each other out though wouldn't it? By posting complete information instead of half baking it.
I actually read a post on this forum where a seasoned member with good mechanical background
Answered a question with " yes I know how but I am not telling you" and he was serious !
Like its a guarded top secret shop trick or something. Share the knowledge I say. Under the transmission removal section of this website it sites a flush as a removal guide. No trans removal guides in it. ( ok that's probably just a misplacement but you know what I mean ), and if we wantted to know how to swap a hybrid engine we wouldn't be talking about a trasnission chief
we need details about droping the sub frame, and what is removed and hweat stays during the removal and installation on this website like a fat boy needs a snickers bar.
Just my 2 cents

WHEW !!
Ok mini rant over. rebuild stress due to lack of info I guess ( much like the OP I am sure )

EDIT: Took a crap load of pics today while working on my turd snatcher AND noted the bolt sizes.
Its sufice to say you don't have to take out half the crap the manual tells you to to be able to drop the sub frame and remove the transmission. I'll start a new thread and post pics as I go. It really is simple. Just stop when you get it a part and reach up and grab the camera LOL!
Old 11-12-2008, 03:19 AM   #8 (permalink)

Here ya go....

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?...mp;#entry675366

Stay tuned for completion...
Old 11-20-2008, 04:08 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member Number: 12979
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 96 SHO
Shrike2415 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
<div class='quotemain'>

JR
[/b]
Yeah if you wouldn't mind. Then I'll take pics of you doing the work and post them.
( maybe you need to check out all the PDF files I have contributed in the past two days while l have been looking it all up my self else where like google. I pull my weight just fine thank you )

All I am saying is if your going to site a thread as an example on how to remove a transmission and then show absolutely no removal or install it makes it pretty dang useless for folks like my self and the OP.
I could take a pic of a trans out of the car, and a trans in the car too but that wouldn't help any one out.
If they wanted to look at that all they have to do is look under the hood of their broken down car out side when they take a break from seeking help on a Ford lovers DIY mech. web forum.

I don't mean to sound as arrogant as this is coming across. ( internet and all that ) I guess you have to hear it in person in the tone I am thinking it like I would say it or something ?

Its just that with the wealth of knowledge we have here there is not ONE complete follow through step by step other then a transmission flush, yet every one is saying "come look at my thread showing a good example of a trans swap" to any one who asks about a trans swap. Just with out the swap part.
I found better examples via PDF files google searching for hours actually.
( which is what we are suppose to be saving folks from having to do)
LOL!

We are all here to help each other out. And from what I see all do or at least try to.
Then that would be one hell of a good way to help each other out though wouldn't it? By posting complete information instead of half baking it.
I actually read a post on this forum where a seasoned member with good mechanical background
Answered a question with " yes I know how but I am not telling you" and he was serious !
Like its a guarded top secret shop trick or something. Share the knowledge I say. Under the transmission removal section of this website it sites a flush as a removal guide. No trans removal guides in it. ( ok that's probably just a misplacement but you know what I mean ), and if we wantted to know how to swap a hybrid engine we wouldn't be talking about a trasnission chief
we need details about droping the sub frame, and what is removed and hweat stays during the removal and installation on this website like a fat boy needs a snickers bar.
Just my 2 cents

WHEW !!
Ok mini rant over. rebuild stress due to lack of info I guess ( much like the OP I am sure )

EDIT: Took a crap load of pics today while working on my turd snatcher AND noted the bolt sizes.
Its sufice to say you don't have to take out half the crap the manual tells you to to be able to drop the sub frame and remove the transmission. I'll start a new thread and post pics as I go. It really is simple. Just stop when you get it a part and reach up and grab the camera LOL!
[/b][/quote]
MINI rant?? I would have had time to cook an omelette, eat it, and then get rid of it the opposite way I ate it in the time it took to read all that!!
Winter short ram intake
Coolant in the ATF - I HATE AX4Ns!!
Shrike2415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 06:50 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 113
rudedog is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to rudedog Send a message via MSN to rudedog Send a message via Yahoo to rudedog

Quote:
MINI rant?? I would have had time to cook an omelette, eat it, and then get rid of it the opposite way I ate it in the time it took to read all that!! [/b]
Maybe, but could you do a complete detailed job of documentation at the same time, with every step on camera?

May 2008 Car of The Month/Car of the Year 2008
'93 GL 3.0L, BOOTY'S BLUE BUCKET O' BOLTS
February Car of the Month T.S.O.C.
March Car of The Month T.C.C.A.
2003 SES 3.0L, GHOST

'93 SHO 3.2L, SNIPER SHO
rudedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement