Supercoupe Belt System + 4.2 Stroker Worklog - Page 2 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2007, 06:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
DMX

Member Number: 33
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
DMX has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to DMX Send a message via MSN to DMX Send a message via Yahoo to DMX

I tried and tried but there was just no getting around it.... SURGERY was needed if the jackshaft and the distributor were going to coexist

Cutting back the tensioner mount area gave enough clearance but now i've got no way to keep tension on the belt.

Picture two shows the area that i'll likely remove (blue) so I have room to weld up a combination tensioner+alt bracket. I've got four attaching points on that cylinder head (red) so i'll probably have the bottom right one do double duty for the jackshaft and the bracket to come. It should be nice and strong, if not i'll tie into the upper left as well with a wrap around connecting piece.

Stay tuned
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01091.JPG (245.1 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg Dsc01091_cut.jpg (243.6 KB, 78 views)
.030" Over, Coated Forged pistons, 6.125" Forged Rods
4.2L F150 Crankshaft, 2000 Windstar Engine
Megasquirt EMS + *Stock Taurus PCM testing for AX4S control only*
42# Injectors
Walbro 190LPH Pump
Professional Products 75mm TB, Ebay 24X12x3 FMIC - 2.5" Piping
115# - 340#/In Valve Springs
Dr. Fred .520 lift Camshaft
DMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2007, 06:56 PM   #12 (permalink)
DMX

Send a message via AIM to DMX Send a message via MSN to DMX Send a message via Yahoo to DMX

There's also this .....

Need to tie the front parts of the extension together, that will make it one a single solid piece.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01100.JPG (203.1 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01104.JPG (219.0 KB, 86 views)
42# Injectors
Walbro 190LPH Pump
Old 12-10-2007, 09:21 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 140
spridget has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via Yahoo to spridget

I'm really glad to see updates. I've been wondering for a quite a while how your project was going.
spridget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 01:02 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member Number: 4
Jason King has a little shameless behaviour in the past

DMX, make things 10,000 times easier on yourself and get rid of the distributor.

<span style="color:#FF0000">My World Web Page
Jason King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 07:17 AM   #15 (permalink)
DMX

You're absolute right, the whole idea was to try and use as many unmodified supercoupe parts as possible as long as it didn't create any fitment problems.

I'll look into that megasquirt system+EDIS to free up some room, plus it has a lot more tuning documentation than i've seen with other chips.

http://www.megamanual.com/v22manual/mtune.htm
http://www.msefi.com/

I'm pretty comfortable building/assembling/repairing electronics however bypassing the factory computer and letting a hand assembled computer control all the fuel spark emissions details is ..... a little daunting. I'm up for the challenge though.

I will have to find another timing cover though, the Taurus one that fits the sc waterpump has no mounts for the crank tooth sensor.

Minor setback but still moving forward...
42# Injectors
Walbro 190LPH Pump
Old 12-11-2007, 07:38 AM   #16 (permalink)
DMX

There's also the problem of controlling the transmission, so far it looks as though the MS is unable to deal with electronically controlled transmissions -- although according to them "not all transmissions require electronic controls to operate" hmmm have to research this further.

I just want to avoid blowing another trans to pieces ..... pretty please?
42# Injectors
Walbro 190LPH Pump
Old 12-11-2007, 12:05 PM   #17 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 113
rudedog is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to rudedog Send a message via MSN to rudedog Send a message via Yahoo to rudedog

D, there is a guy on ERDTonline that makes up MS systems, that might be able to answer some questions for you, his name is Jacob Russell.

May 2008 Car of The Month/Car of the Year 2008
'93 GL 3.0L, BOOTY'S BLUE BUCKET O' BOLTS
February Car of the Month T.S.O.C.
March Car of The Month T.C.C.A.
2003 SES 3.0L, GHOST

'93 SHO 3.2L, SNIPER SHO
rudedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 11:55 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member Number: 4
Jason King has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
There's also the problem of controlling the transmission, so far it looks as though the MS is unable to deal with electronically controlled transmissions -- although according to them "not all transmissions require electronic controls to operate" hmmm have to research this further.

I just want to avoid blowing another trans to pieces ..... pretty please?
[/b]

You have SC Tuner, you shouldn't need anything else. Its VERY user friendly for what you are trying to accomplish. Hell, we made 450+ wheel hp on a SC just recently with a SC Tuner.

Your transmission is a mechanical trans wtih an electronic shift. In other words, the only thing comtroled in the transmission by the computer is WHEN it shifts. Nothing else.

<span style="color:#FF0000">My World Web Page
Jason King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 01:33 AM   #19 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 34
Drives: 1992 Taurus SHO 3.2L MTX - Modded.
Racer X has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to Racer X

All transmissions are mechanical with an electronic control mechanism. That said, you negelcted to mention that the EEC-IV also controls shift pressure, and TC lock and unlock, in addition to when a shift event occurs.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:11 AM   #20 (permalink)
DMX

As far as I know my stock EEC has no idea how to handle DIS. Its possible that a windstar computer would work as some have the same trans and DIS but then i've lost the EECTuner support for my LKZ0 pcm code, taking me back to square one.

As far as the megasquirt goes, it *may* be able to control the trans with a GPIO board - i'll have to look into that further to see the risks, there's also the "parallel" install option of running the MS alongside the stock PCM. MS controls fuel and spark, PCM whatever is left over -- in this case trans functions.

http://www.diyautotune.com/faq/faq.htm
http://www.diyautotune.com/faq/faq.htm#share-stock-ecu

Quote:

Can I leave my stock ECU in place to control non-EMS related gadgetry, while letting the MegaSquirt control the engine?
Yes you can-- This is what is known as a 'Parallel Install' and on some newer cars where the OEM is putting more and more responsibility on the ECU (more than just an Engine Management role) you may need to go this route. Some of the other responsibilities that OEM's are putting on the stock ECU are gauge control, cruise control, auto tranny lockup, etc.

You’d basically leave the stock ECU in place, and leave the stock sensor inputs connected to it. Then you’d run a new CLT and IAT sensor for the MegaSquirt, and then share the TPS and O2 signals between the stock ECU and the MegaSquirt. You’ll disconnect the spark output(s) from the stock computer and wire the spark input to the MegaSquirt (pin24). You should be able to share that signal in most cases. Next wire the MS spark output (pin36 usually, depends on model and mods)to the stock igniter or directly to the coil if modded for direct coil control. Then disconnect the fuel injectors from the stock ECU and wire them to the MegaSquirt. This will basically give your factory ECU control of everything but the engine, and give the MegaSquirt control of the engine.

Note that's just a quick rundown, and not necessarily in the order you might go about things. For example, you might prefer to start with fuel control, go ahead and do all of the above EXCEPT the spark output change (you do need the spark input shared with the MS at this point). This way you've got full fuel control, but the stock ECU is still controlling ignition. You can dial in your fuel map and get the car running good, and then move spark over as well with this transition being much smaller than taking it all on at once. Not to mention you'll know the MS ECU and the tuning software MUCH better.

Note some may call this 'running the MS as a piggyback' though it's not. A piggyback ECU simply manipulates the stock sensor signals to 'trick' the stock ECU into performing differently. There is no trickery going on with an install as described here, this is a full standalone EMS implementation, we're just leaving the stock ECU around to control the NON-EMS stuff. Call it a 'Parallel Install' as the two computers are working in parallel each playing their part, not tricking each other.
[/b]

The O2 signals I dont think i'd have to touch as i'd be feeding the MS with my wideband anyway.

Attached: a couple of old pictures that show the engine bay clearance, i'm still not 100% convinced that everything will fit but will trim if necessary.

Also going to get rid of that factory radiator for one of these two pass units that have inlet and outlet on the same side -- I hated hated hated having to run that coolant hose across the engine but at the time I had no other choice.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image_138.jpg (228.8 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg Image_019.jpg (131.9 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg IM000104.jpg (115.4 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg IM000102.jpg (154.1 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg image_021.jpg (151.7 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg image_062.jpg (93.1 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg image_063.jpg (68.0 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpg Image_167.jpg (229.6 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg Image_168.jpg (234.9 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg Image_170.jpg (176.6 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg Image_171.jpg (182.1 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg img.jpg (15.9 KB, 243 views)
42# Injectors
Walbro 190LPH Pump
Sponsored Links
Advertisement