Sho Shift Linkage - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2007, 10:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 14150
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
jdatbs has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Hi all,
I have a 1990 Taurus SHO with a 5 speed floor shift. The bottom end of the shift lever has a ball that fits into a plastic socket mounted at the end of a rod. This rod is about, hmmm, 8 inches long? It connects to a cable that goes to the transmission. The plastic socket broke, the ball popped out, and I can't shift. I acquired a parts vehicle and removed the top part of the console, removed the shift lever from the little plastic socket, and now I'm stuck. I don't know if the plastic end of the rod is removable, or if I have to remove the other end of the rod from the housing in which it connects to the cable. I can't figure out how to remove either end! Anyone know anything about this???
Thanks,
Jim
jdatbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2007, 11:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 4817
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 1992 Taurus SHO
loudsho92 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to loudsho92 Send a message via Yahoo to loudsho92
Talking

What year is your parts car and does it have a rod or cable shifter? I would go to the rod shifter if you can.

I am not sure about taking apart the shifter but I would ask on SHOForum.

-Performance: Turbo 297hp 279ftlb
-Drivetrain: CM Clutch,SHONut Mounts,QUAIFE
-Suspension: SS Coilovers, 24/26mm,Poly,Gen3,H-Brace, Subframe
-Brakes: Cobra front, 11.6 rear
-Looks: Sound System,Speedhut,Pilot Fogs,Clear Corners,Gen2 Console, CF Cowl Hood & Trunk
http://www.shosource.com
loudsho92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 12:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member Number: 14150
jdatbs has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
What year is your parts car and does it have a rod or cable shifter? I would go to the rod shifter if you can.

[/b]
Both cars are 1990 SHO'S and both have cable shift mechanisms, but there is a short rod that links the gearshift lever with the cable. I'm looking to find out how to disassemble the rod/cable assembly. Thanks.
jdatbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 11:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 4817
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 1992 Taurus SHO
loudsho92 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to loudsho92 Send a message via Yahoo to loudsho92
Talking

Sorry I never had a cable shifter, I would try SHOForum.

-Performance: Turbo 297hp 279ftlb
-Drivetrain: CM Clutch,SHONut Mounts,QUAIFE
-Suspension: SS Coilovers, 24/26mm,Poly,Gen3,H-Brace, Subframe
-Brakes: Cobra front, 11.6 rear
-Looks: Sound System,Speedhut,Pilot Fogs,Clear Corners,Gen2 Console, CF Cowl Hood & Trunk
http://www.shosource.com
loudsho92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 08:34 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member Number: 13936
carfixer68 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]
Both cars are 1990 SHO'S and both have cable shift mechanisms, but there is a short rod that links the gearshift lever with the cable. I'm looking to find out how to disassemble the rod/cable assembly. Thanks.
[/b][/quote]

My 91 originally had a cable shifter, this was a few years ago so I'm working on old memories here....

On mine, the plastic socket that the ball fit into on the linkage cracked and would no longer hold the ball in place, which rendered the shift mechanism useless. I secured mine with a couple of zip ties and it held really well. I eventually upgraded to the rod shifter, because I never felt fully safe with this setup.

You really should look around for a rod shifter, these day's they're going for under a hundred bucks and it's one of the best upgrades you can do for driveability.

1992 Taurus SHO, Royal Blue MTX, 3.2l and other junk
carfixer68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 08:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member Number: 13809
texasbrowns has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Sorry I never had a cable shifter, I would try SHOForum.

If you have to fix the linkage, try this. Go to a parts store and get a closed battery terminal end with the two screws that would normally tighten to the cable. Take the plastic off the rod end exposing a threaded end. Put the end of the rod into the cable clamps. The cable clamps will have ridges on it that will fit into the threads on the rod. Tighten that down. Put screw through the shift linkage and through the battery cable hole. Make sure you have washers at every opening. Should last a while.
[/b]

Quote:
Hi all,
I have a 1990 Taurus SHO with a 5 speed floor shift. The bottom end of the shift lever has a ball that fits into a plastic socket mounted at the end of a rod. This rod is about, hmmm, 8 inches long? It connects to a cable that goes to the transmission. The plastic socket broke, the ball popped out, and I can't shift. I acquired a parts vehicle and removed the top part of the console, removed the shift lever from the little plastic socket, and now I'm stuck. I don't know if the plastic end of the rod is removable, or if I have to remove the other end of the rod from the housing in which it connects to the cable. I can't figure out how to remove either end! Anyone know anything about this???
Thanks,
Jim

Sorry, I posted my reply in the wrong place. Look down to the reply from texasbrowns. I think it will solve your dilemma. Sorry.
[/b]
texasbrowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member Number: 35097
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 1995 Taurus GL, 3.0 Vulcan; 1993 Taurus LX, 3.8 Essex
Barkentine will become famous soon enough

I have a fix for that bad socket and you don't have to do a whole lot to repair your shift problem.

I had the same thing happen to my 1989 SHO 5-Speed. Couldn't find new or good used shift cables. I noticed my cables were really pretty good shape except for the ball sockets on the shifter end of the cables (center counsole).

So I designed a new ball socket that is literally a snap in piece. I had some made at a machine shop, then checked them with a caliper to make sure they were to the drawing.

The material is either a machineable nylon or Delrin.

Attached is a copy of the drawing I used. This part, if made to the drawing (which is in mm's), does work. I used it on my SHO for the last 30K miles before selling it.

This part will tighten up the shift linkage and make shifting more positive. I really liked it and had zero problems with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Sho Shift Linkage-sho-shifter-socket-b.jpg  
Barkentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement