P0305 Misfire On Cylinder 5 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2007, 03:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 12007
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
chessw has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Unhappy

Hello guys,

I purchased a 2000 Taurus last friday with only 112k on the car (or about 65k miles). After 3 days of having the car the SES light poped on. So I changed the spark plugs and air filter as the car needed them anyway and cleared the code. Of course the code came back. Yes the car is running poor right now.

I went out yesterday and got a code reader and pulled code P0305 Misfire detected on cylider 5. So I swaped around plug wires for Cylinder 5 and 6 and then cleared the code again. And yes it returned

So now I would like some ideas as to what could be the next things to check. I will be pulling the spark plug tonight after work to have a look incase the plug is bad and swap in another known good one, but all I can think of that is left is the distributor (or whatever it is now that there is no distributor). However would I not get misfires in more than one cylinder if it was bad?

It case anyone is intrested the car is all white, and I do have a very poor picture of her, but I'm not sure where I can host it to post it. She was very dirty on the motor and inside the car (Even had sand in the air box ) So I cleaned up most of it. Still need to get more off the motor, but I almost passed on the car because of how dirty it was. But after she was cleaned up... I need to get a few spots of the paint touched up and the waxed and she will really shine.

Of course, thanks for any ideas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2007, 03:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 237
D Man has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I don't know if I can help you, but I'm haveing the same problem. But mines number 3. At first it was running really poorly under low rpms but seemed to be fine at higher rpms.
I too, changed the plug and the wire with new ones, but with the number 3, cause it's in the back, you gotta take the UIM off. And after replacing the SES was gone but came back, probably a half hours worth of driving later.
I didn't get it checked again, but I "assume" it's still the number 3 misfire

But on a really good note my car is running fine. no sputtering. And with my big mufflers, you could really hear it when it sputtered in the low rpms.

So if you get it fixed, please let us (me) know what was wrong.

I wanted to get a new DIS box but it wasn't in the budget But if that's what's wrong, I'll fit it in the budget
D Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 04:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
I too, changed the plug and the wire with new ones, but with the number 3, cause it's in the back, you gotta take the UIM off.
I wanted to get a new DIS box but it wasn't in the budget But if that's what's wrong, I'll fit it in the budget
[/b]
I'm lucky that getting to the back plugs on the Vulcan is not impossible without removing the UIM. Just not easy. I only burned a few fingers and skinned one knuckle.

My guess is the DIS is bad, but like I said earlier, would that not throw two cyclinders into misfire? Thats why I tried moving a plug wire. Did you try that in your case? Getting plug wire 6 to fit to cylinder 5 was not easy, and I will move it back tonight as it had no impact. But it was an easy step to see if it was a plug wire.

Edit: I see you changed the plug wires too. Hmmm.. My guess in your case it is the DIS.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Don't Be Stupid

Member Number: 4508
Chapter: Southern
Drives: 2010 SEL 2000 Tec
Trader Score: 1 reviews
00tec-satx is on a distinguished road

Did you visually check for spark? It could be an injector.

00tec-satx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 04:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Did you visually check for spark? It could be an injector.
[/b]

Hmmmm I never considered an Injector. I will check for spark tonight. Do I have to ground the plug to the body when I do that test?

How would I check to see if the injector is firing?
Old 04-27-2007, 04:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Don't Be Stupid

Member Number: 4508
Chapter: Southern
Drives: 2010 SEL 2000 Tec
Trader Score: 1 reviews
00tec-satx is on a distinguished road

You have to ground the plug to a clean block ground. Try cleaning a part of the exhaust manifold for a good ground. Or, just grab the negative terminal on the battery with one hand and the plug ground with the other and have someone try to start the car (jk, dont do that)

To see if the injector is working, let the car run for a little bit and immediately pull the plug and see if there is fuel on it.

00tec-satx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 04:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
You have to ground the plug to a clean block ground. Try cleaning a part of the exhaust manifold for a good ground. Or, just grab the negative terminal on the battery with one hand and the plug ground with the other and have someone try to start the car (jk, dont do that)

To see if the injector is working, let the car run for a little bit and immediately pull the plug and see if there is fuel on it.
[/b]
Hmmm... Ok that sounds like a good idea... If I wanted to restart my heart

Ok, I'll try that on the injector. If I start the car with the number 5 plug wire unplugged I should get a good idea if the injector is firing. (And yes, don't run it for very long)

Thanks for the ideas!
Old 04-27-2007, 06:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 237
D Man has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Is it possible that it's just giving a really poor spark and that could be casuing the lisfire.
If so, checking for the spark might not mean much.
But I also was told at one point that it could be the injector also. But I don't know how to test the injectors.
D Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 07:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Is it possible that it's just giving a really poor spark and that could be casuing the lisfire.
If so, checking for the spark might not mean much.
But I also was told at one point that it could be the injector also. But I don't know how to test the injectors.
[/b]

True, I guess it could just be poor spark, but then poor spark is cuased by something, bad wire, or DIS, or bad plug. I think it is spark in my case, but I did run a bottle of injector cleaner through the car 2 days before the misfire started... Maybe something cloged up the injector.. However swapping an injector from cylinder 5 to 6 is not going to happen Maybe I should get a used one to see.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:49 AM   #10 (permalink)

Update:

Well I can pretty much rule out spark or a bad plug or plug wires. I'm getting good spark and I swapped out the plug again with another known good one and I still am getting a misfire on Cylinder 5. I tried to check for fuel on the plug, but it seemed dry. I will be checking again in a day or two to see if I can get a wet plug. If it is the injector, how much trouble is it to get it off the fuel rail? It looks like I'd have to pull the fuel rail out to get access to the injector. I think I can get the pressure out of the line, I'm just not sure how to get the rail up. I have the Hayes auto repair book for the taurus so I will have a look at that.

Thanks for all your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement