Fixing my shed - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2013, 08:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
I'm Watching You!

Member Number: 37681
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 01 Sable Wagon Duratec
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 1 reviews
sousa632 has much to be proud ofsousa632 has much to be proud ofsousa632 has much to be proud of
Default Fixing my shed

I thought I posted about this in my "Fix my yard" thread but I guess not so here goes.

I've owned my house for a little over 6 years now and my shed has seen MUCH better days. Whoever built it, laid it right on the ground on top of some crushed stone so it's been rotting away from the bottom. The door hinge broke, there was a hole through the floor and it was just a 'catch all' for the spillover junk in the house.

After lifting the 4 corners off the ground. Here you can see the rottted floor joist.....

I figured I wanted to fix the door and I had a steel door that I could have put in so I cut the front out to replace the T-111 and frame in the door

Here's with the door cut and put in (no the color is NOT staying, just waiting till spring to paint)

Made a step from a lot of spare wood I had hanging around

I then repaired the holes in the floor, and the rotted support beams, then laid an additional sub floor over top of the existing floor

My first license plates(1996) hanging. I couldn't turn them in

Ran electric to it(only an extension cord right now, but is very functional). Put in an outlet on the back wall, and on the front wall along with the switch that powers the flourecent light in the center beam

Today more work commenced. I emptied it out again, and started at making a table for it. I used the wagon to pick up a thick peice of wood for the table top. All the other wood is repurposed wood I had laying around. It's VERY sturdy and has a nice sized shelf. The plastic shelving to the right moved forward and has fluids/paints and christmas lights.

I also finished up the end peices of the T-111 and cut/installed the top trim peices. The front is done, minus paint.

Next on the list to do is to repair the bottom of the sides and back that rotted so no 'critters' get back in. I evicted a whole colony of spider crickets when I first started and want to keep those damn things out. I'll have to grab a picture of it loaded as I didn't take one with most of my crap in it now. I still have more to put in. So far so good though and I'm happy that it's being used as more that just a catch all.

Last edited by sousa632; 01-20-2013 at 08:35 PM.
sousa632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2013, 09:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member Number: 44078
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: '97 GL, '13 SEL
Trader Score: 3 reviews
TaurusSHO is on a distinguished road

Why didn't you have the door swing outward? That would have been a much better idea IMO. Otherwise you've done a very nice job so far!
TaurusSHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member Number: 52074
Drives: 2010 Taurus SEL AWD 3.5L Duratec V6
Trader Score: 0 reviews
bmwides is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fixing my shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusSHO View Post
Why didn't you have the door swing outward? That would have been a much better idea IMO. Otherwise you've done a very nice job so far!
I was going to ask the same question

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
bmwides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
I'm Watching You!

sousa632 has much to be proud ofsousa632 has much to be proud ofsousa632 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusSHO View Post
I was given the door and I just worked with what I had. I would have loved if the door was hinged out but It's hinged in and I couldnt change that without redoing everything so I just left it as is. It really doesn't take up all that much room, and what it does take up is basically space I have shovels and rakes in so it hasn't gotten in my way yet

Last edited by sousa632; 01-20-2013 at 09:48 PM.
sousa632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 3580
Drives: 03 SEL Premium DOHC
Trader Score: 35 reviews
durasel has a spectacular aura about

If it swung out, the hinges would be on the outside, making it very easy for someone to take the door off and get in??
03 SEL Premium DOHC
04 SES Sport DOHC

2003 SEL Premium
Every available factory option
September 2009 Car of the Month

Dealing in Mach Audio Systems for the last 10 years. I'm happy to answer any/all questions.
I have many satisfied club members!
durasel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 10865
sheila is a glorious beacon of lightsheila is a glorious beacon of light

John, you'll have a "mancave" to go to when mama puts you out, lol!
sheila is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 14275
Drives: A blue car
behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute

Now you just need to add a heater and an A/C unit in the wall and your little home away from home will be all set!

It's sorta strange for me to hear about people doing outdoor projects this time of year, so congrats on getting stuff done. Too cold here to do anything outside but shiver. We're gearing up for -20F tomorrow night!
behlinla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:01 AM   #8 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 49561
Chapter: Northern
Drives: 2004 Ford Taurus SEL Comfort
it'sthatcar will become famous soon enough
Default Fixing my shed

I feel you behlinla. It's roughly -10 here, -30 with windchill...

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

David

2004 SEL Comfort ~ Shadow Grey Metallic ~ Mach upgrade with Pioneer speakers in the doors and Kenwood speakers in the rear deck ~ tinted windows ~ amber rear turn signal mod
it'sthatcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
I'm Watching You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheila View Post
John, you'll have a "mancave" to go to when mama puts you out, lol!
With a wife and 3 daughters I'll need a place to 'get away' when THAT time comes .

Quote:
Originally Posted by behlinla View Post
Now you just need to add a heater and an A/C unit in the wall and your little home away from home will be all set!

It's sorta strange for me to hear about people doing outdoor projects this time of year, so congrats on getting stuff done. Too cold here to do anything outside but shiver. We're gearing up for -20F tomorrow night!
I was suprised how warm it was yesterday(got to 57*) so I figured I might as well get something done being that will be short lived and we'll be in the 20's for the next few days
Old 01-21-2013, 08:53 AM   #10 (permalink)
Sam
breeves002

Member Number: 49890
Drives: 2008 Mercury Sable Premier
Trader Score: 8 reviews
Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fixing my shed

I have always wanted a shed. When I have a wife and kids then I will get my own!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

2008 Mercury Sable Premier
2012 Kia Soul Base AT 1.6GDI
2004 Acura TSX 2.4
Moved On: 2000 Sable LS Premium Duratec
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement