Driversidre Widow Will Not Roll Up - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2005, 05:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 2691
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
soloman02 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

hello, as stated above my driverside window will not roll up. I rolled them(all my windows) down on my way home from work(via the button), and when I got home it would not roll up. I tested my other windows while sitting in the driver's seat and the worked fine. when i press up nothing happens, and when i press down, i get the clicking sound. it is supposed to rain friday, so it would be nice to at least get the window up.
Carputer Status: All parts aquired except stand for screen + plywood to mount pc. Most software installed. 176 songs still need to be transferred to carpc. Installing whole thing........... slowly, lol.
-------------------------------------------------
97 Taurus GL Sedan
Green
3.0L V6 Vulcan
Automatic
Power locks, Power windows, Power Mirrors, and Power steering
Tranny rebuilt at ~122k mi
a/c fixed, low pressure switch replaced
Alternator replaced at ~131K mi
Current mileage: ~133k mi
Oil change Status: Good for until ~136k mi
--------------
Things I should probably do in the near future: replace the air filter, and get new tires.
soloman02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2005, 05:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Member Number: 4431
Robert L has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via MSN to Robert L

You can try two things, and it's going to sound harsh but it beats pulling the door panel, key on, door open, hold the window switch in the up position and slam the door closed as hard as you can, or with the door open and the switch depressed in the up position, take the ball of your fist and smack the door panel as hard as you can near the front bottom.

If that fails, door panel removal is needed, then you can tap the window motor while holding the switch in the up position, if all that fails, the window motor can be removed and the glass slid up manualy and then reinstall the motor untill you can get a replacement.
Robert L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 05:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 899
godspunk32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to godspunk32

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert L@Aug 3 2005, 05:43 PM
You can try two things, and it's going to sound harsh but it beats pulling the door panel, key on, door open, hold the window switch in the up position and slam the door closed as hard as you can, or with the door open and the switch depressed in the up position, take the ball of your fist and smack the door panel as hard as you can near the front bottom.
Try this a few times. It's always worked for me when my windows wouldn't roll up.

Basically, what happens is that the motor has two magnets inside, and when they move, they lose little bits of metal. When the metal gets too gunked up on the magnets, they can stop in a position that won't allow anything to move. Slamming the door forces the magnets loose, and they will normally return to their regular operation.

JR

godspunk32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 08:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member Number: 2691
soloman02 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I slammed the door while holding the switch and it worked.

thanks,

- slolman02
Carputer Status: All parts aquired except stand for screen + plywood to mount pc. Most software installed. 176 songs still need to be transferred to carpc. Installing whole thing........... slowly, lol.
-------------------------------------------------
97 Taurus GL Sedan
Green
3.0L V6 Vulcan
Automatic
Power locks, Power windows, Power Mirrors, and Power steering
Tranny rebuilt at ~122k mi
a/c fixed, low pressure switch replaced
Alternator replaced at ~131K mi
Current mileage: ~133k mi
Oil change Status: Good for until ~136k mi
--------------
Things I should probably do in the near future: replace the air filter, and get new tires.
soloman02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 08:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 1771
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 00 SEL Sedan DOHC
Trader Score: 6 reviews
Bull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bull Geek Send a message via MSN to Bull Geek

Talk about a redneck fix Glad you got it fixed, beats paying out the wazoo for a new motor.

-True Blue MC 2003 Lincoln Town Car | V8 SOHC/4R70W | 55K
-Silver Frost MC 2000 Ford Taurus SEL | V6 DOHC/AX4N | 198K
--Wood paneled 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Colony Park wagon | V8 OHV/AOD | 180K ish?
--Ugly Colored 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Colony Park wagon | V8 OHV/AOD | 303K miles!
Former...
'87 Taurus 3.0 GL sedan, '87 Taurus 3.0 GL Wagon, '97 Taurus SHO 3.4 V8 sedan
Bull Geek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 08:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Member Number: 4431
Robert L has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via MSN to Robert L

I just had to do it on my SHO twice a week ago, among many hundreds of other fords along the years. glad to be of assistance, replace the motor before it gets hung up so bad a door slam won't jar it and ya get stuck in a rain shower.
Robert L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 10:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member Number: 4820
mad0865 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to mad0865 Send a message via Yahoo to mad0865

Quote:
Originally posted by soloman02@Aug 3 2005, 05:08 PM
hello, as stated above my driverside window will not roll up. I rolled them(all my windows) down on my way home from work(via the button), and when I got home it would not roll up. I tested my other windows while sitting in the driver's seat and the worked fine. when i press up nothing happens, and when i press down, i get the clicking sound. it is supposed to rain friday, so it would be nice to at least get the window up.
Had to get the window motor replaced when that happened to me. Shot to heck.

Mods: Futuristic RainEx wipers, cassette adapter for Sirius Satellite receiver (Xact), and Pirelli P400's all around. New sway bar endlinks.
Gravity. It's not just a good idea, it's the law.
mad0865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member Number: 20739
Chapter: Eastern Canada
Drives: 2000 Taurus wagon SEL and 1997 Taurus 3.0L
cingram has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I had to bring this topic back alive as my 97 taurus will have the window stuck in the down postition and with the up button pushed and a good slam of the the door, it will work again for another a couple years I have had several doors do this and taken off panels only to find nothing wrong.
cingram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 7489
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: '90 Taurus GL Wagon 3.0L; '65 Rambler Ambassador 990 convertible
Lgbpop has a brilliant futureLgbpop has a brilliant futureLgbpop has a brilliant future

What y'all need to do is the redneck used-car trick. Next time you have to remove the panel to replace the lift motor (trust me, you will have to do so eventually) drill a 1/2" diameter hole at the base of the door skin beneath the lift motor, such that when the panel is replaced you can see a half-circle opening. If/when the replacement lift motor starts to go (Motorcraft motors are expensive, the Chinese remans are priced to sell) take a socket extension bar and insert into the hole. Bang the motor with the button held down and it's easier on the door than slamming the heck out of it. Most used cars down here of all makes have these holes.
Lgbpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member Number: 35913
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2003 SE 3.0L
NorthernTaurus is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm having the same problem with my 03 Taurus.... but unfortunately I don't have the Fonzie touch like hitting the jukebox LOL.

I have noticed that if open the door.... the power windows will work. But when I close the door, the button becomes powerless.
NorthernTaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement