Starter Not Engaging - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2005, 11:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 5611
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
ttolentino1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

My 2002 Merc Sable LS Prem with @ 80K mi will not start. No indications of problem before yesterday, parked car, later tried to start and some of the dummy lights in the instrument cluster waivered, there was a clicking from next to the battery this is where:

Click here
Sound near battery

Click here Close-up

It is one or the other of the white items that is clicking.

The starter does not engage, I have tapped it with a hammer several times before trying again and got nothing, also checked electrical connections.

What could it be, the starter, starter relay, battery? As I am adding a new sound system soon, I will take the opportunity to install a new battery any way.

Other considerations: It has been hot here lately, 90's + so air has been running and lots of small trips. Ran out of fuel a week or so ago, followed the procedure to start the fuel pump, still took some time to get started, starter gave no problems at that time it just got alot of use, just fuel to engine problem, have changed fuel filter since.

I need help. Thanks in advance for any help, suggestions or explanations you offer.

Ted
ttolentino1@hotmail.com
ttolentino1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2005, 12:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 3341
Drives: 2004 Chevy Impala SS Indy Limited Edition
EDIII has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via ICQ to EDIII Send a message via AIM to EDIII

Easiest thing is to try and jump start the car. If the starter still won't catch, then it's probably something with the starter. If the car starts, then it is probably the battery.

Current Ride: 2004 Chevrolet Impala SS Indianapolis Motor Speedway Edition - #1752 of 4088
-3.8L SC Engine - 240 hp, 270 tq, 87,000 miles
- PFC front pads|Silverstar Ultra Headlights & High Beams|K&N CAI|Optima Redtop Battery|17"x7.5" Sort Edition F7 Rims|Kumho Escta SPT Tires

Old Ride: 1998 Taurus SE Sport with the Duratec 122k miles - October 2006 COTM
K&N Filter|JVC KD-G300|2 10" Lightning Audio Subs|450W Lightning Audio Amp|Silverstars|PFC Pads, Duralast Rotors (Rear)|EBC Greenstuff Pads and Duralast Rotors (Front)|Hadyen Tranny Cooler|Pioneer 2-way 6"x8" Speakers|Polk Aduio 6.5" components|KYBs w/ SHO Springs|23mm Rear Swaybar|Gen III SHO Wheels w/ Ponteza G009s|SFCs|FSTB|SHO Bros High Flow Y-pipe
My Taurus
EDIII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2005, 12:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 2973
sable97 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to sable97 Send a message via MSN to sable97 Send a message via Yahoo to sable97

When I had the Sable I had a problem similar to the one you are having right now. At that time I replaced the Started motor and had a new battery. My problem was that the started motor cable that connects to it was becoming loose almost the whole time. Some of the symptoms I had was that when I was going to turn on the engine, it used to give me a click noise and all the dome lights were going off as it seemed it was a dead battery but it wasn't. Check the cable that connects to the starter motor because sometimes when you hit a pothole it might become a little loose. Hope this helps you out.

Frank

Clear Turn Signal, Intake Silencer Removed, CAI
Blue LED Turn Signal - Mirrors, GTP Control Arms

* Dodge Stratus ES 2004
* Toyota Camry Solara '04 (traded in)
* Ford Taurus SHO 1997 Ebony Black (Sold)
---------------------------------------------------------
sable97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2005, 02:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 125
Trader Score: 4 reviews
shoz123 is an unknown quantity at this point

The clicking you hear is the white starter relay. Either there is not enough voltage in the battery to pull in the starter solenoid or the cables are bad or loose between the starter and the battery.
shoz123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2005, 03:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member Number: 5611
ttolentino1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

As I already tried to jump the car as well as charge the battery, the trickle charger said it had a full charge, I assumed it was not the battery and was either the starter or the relay.

I popped in a new Sears Diehard Gold North battery and what happens? She started right up! An $80 battery is better than a new Bosch starter north of $200.

Thanks for your perspective guys, I will consult this resource in future.
ttolentino1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.