Is It The Blower Motor Resistor? - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2005, 03:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 5448
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
shoboy07 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I have been reading here about how when the blower motor resistor goes, that the fan only will work on high speed. So when the blower on my parents 02 Taurus did this, I said well that must be what it is. But after a month or two after it would only work on high it stopped working altogether. Do you think that this is still because of the blower motor resistor or something else? Where do you buy a blower motor resistor, do you get it at the dealer or can you buy it at a store like Autozone? And how long do you think it will take to replace?
shoboy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2005, 06:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 125
Trader Score: 4 reviews
shoz123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Easy to do.
Attached Images
File Type: gif Capture_07052005_182529.gif (15.9 KB, 1938 views)
shoz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 11:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 3350
Nidan has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via MSN to Nidan

The gen IV tauruses had problems with water leaking in thru the pollen filter housing, causing the blower motor and resistor to fail. There is a TSB about the repair, and if you search, there are other threads with tons of info on them. If you go to the dealer, they'll know how to fix it.. i'd recommend that if you still have warranty. If you don't, you can buy the parts and do the repair yourself.

- Barenaked Ladies
(it suits me so well sometimes, heh)
Nidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 12:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member Number: 11233
wolverine113 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Easy to do.
[/b]
Thanks so much for everyone on this forum who talked about this issue. I just acquired a 2002 Taurus for a very good price but the blower would only work on high. I followed the advice and bought the resistor unit from a Ford dealer for $17 and did the replacement myself. The diagram helped me find the part. It took me an hour but that's because it was as cold as hell and my socket set was missing the size for one of the screws! (Figures!)

Now the wife is happy and I look like a half way competent mechanic!
wolverine113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 09:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member Number: 5418
Binary Jay has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I have this exact problem, but on my 99.

I've been getting really weak air flow unless set on the highest blower setting for a couple of years, never bothered doing anything about it and kept it on high... but tonight it died altogether.

My only question is whether or not the diagrams in this thread are relatively similar to where I'd find the same resistor part on the older gen model?
Binary Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 10:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

That is a picture for a '97
Old 02-05-2007, 12:31 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
That is a picture for a '97
[/b]
Thanks, yeah realized that when I went and tore the glovebox out. I noticed that one of the tabs holding the blue wiring harness which leads into the resistor module was broken and the connection there is loose... but no amount of fiddling with the harness managed to bring my blower back to life so I'm assuming that's not the issue.

I disconnected the harnesses and reconnected with no luck. One thing I noticed was that the harness leading to the actual blower seems a bit "burnt" on one of the pins, or even rusty. Hard to say, I didn't have a flashlight but in any case if the harness itself is shot I imagine that the blower wouldn't have been working at all when the fan is set to "high" and that the only real culprit could be the resistor.

I am curious if anybody knows the function of the blue harness which is southernmost of the resistor module?
Old 02-05-2007, 12:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

An update for those searching this thread later:

I replaced the blower motor resistor with a new part. After taking the old piece out, it was so rusty that it literally crumbled in my hands. I thought the water leakage issue was for the newer generation of these cars... I suppose since the car is so old, even a minute amount of leakage and condensation can be expected and the part is ridiculously uncovered from the elements as if designed to fail.

After installing the new part, though, I still couldn't get the blower motor to actually start spinning up. So, as any do it yourselfer might do on an extremely cold day, I decided to whack it repeatedly with the nearest handy blunt object (steel garden hose sprayer nozzle) and that managed to get it spinning. So it looks like the brushes are going bad in the blower motor itself, as after I got it spinning I had all of my fan settings back.

I'm not sure if the brushes are serviceable (probably not), and I imagine that they are also the victim of whatever water is getting down there. Used parts on eBay can be shipped to me for about $40 CDN, or I can get a new part from partsource (brick and mortar) right away for $70 + tax... whatever you do, don't buy this part from Ford ($140+)
Old 12-31-2007, 11:32 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member Number: 14386
lounatech has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
An update for those searching this thread later:

I replaced the blower motor resistor with a new part. After taking the old piece out, it was so rusty that it literally crumbled in my hands. I thought the water leakage issue was for the newer generation of these cars... I suppose since the car is so old, even a minute amount of leakage and condensation can be expected and the part is ridiculously uncovered from the elements as if designed to fail.

After installing the new part, though, I still couldn't get the blower motor to actually start spinning up. So, as any do it yourselfer might do on an extremely cold day, I decided to whack it repeatedly with the nearest handy blunt object (steel garden hose sprayer nozzle) and that managed to get it spinning. So it looks like the brushes are going bad in the blower motor itself, as after I got it spinning I had all of my fan settings back.

I'm not sure if the brushes are serviceable (probably not), and I imagine that they are also the victim of whatever water is getting down there. Used parts on eBay can be shipped to me for about $40 CDN, or I can get a new part from partsource (brick and mortar) right away for $70 + tax... whatever you do, don't buy this part from Ford ($140+)
[/b]
Does anyone have a cross-reference part number for the Blower Motor Resistor? I'm having a difficult time locating one at local Auto Parts Stores. A URL for an online store would be great too! I've got a 1997 Ford Taurus 3.0L 6cyl DOHC. Thanks!
lounatech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 11:41 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Is this it?

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail....PartNumber=5073
Sponsored Links
Advertisement