My daughter made it back home today.
I pulled the DPFE
sensor, and it did have some 'gunk' inside. Also, in the process of pulling it from the tubes, I managed to break both of the connectors that insert into the tubes, so I installed a new DPFE
. Then, I also cleaned the MAF
with electronic spray cleaner (there was a fair amount of dirt on the electrodes). A few shots of spray cleaner, and everything was nice and shiny. I also removed the IAC
and cleaned it with Berryman's B12, and reinstalled it. I'll say one thing, that IAC
is a lot easier to get to than the IAC
on my zetec engine Contour.
Anyway, after doing the DPFE
, and IAC
, I cranked the engine. It started well, and ran fairly smooth, but I did detect the sound of a vacuum leak. When I started fiddling with the vacuum lines, I found one was loose where it connects to the intake. I hooked it back on, and everything appears to be fine. I haven't driven it enough yet to see for sure, but I'm optimistic.
With a dirty MAF
, a gunky DPFE
, and a leaky vacuum, I'm not sure which was the culprit. My vote is that the leaky vaccum was the main problem, with the others possibly contributing. Looks like SHOZ123 was right on target.