Blower Motor Resistor Keeps Failing - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2005, 03:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 5427
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 02 Taurus SE Vulcan
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
jeff has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Thumbs up

02 Taurus SE, 52K miles

I bought the car in mid-April and had to replace the blower resistor because the blower only worked on high speed. Last week the blower resistor failed again and I replaced it on Monday this week and this morning, after running the blower on low speed then high speed I turned the speed back to low and noticed the blower resistor has failed again because, again, only high speed works.

Does anyone know why it keeps failing? Could it be water in the blower, and, if so, is there a way to get the water out of the blower or do I need to replace the blower or could the problem be something else like a bad switch? I have heard a little squeaking coming from the blower every now and then when I first turn on the A/C but didn't hear it this morning.

I know there is a TSB about this but haven't checked yet to see if the parts from the TSB have been installed, but I doubt it.

Any help is appreciated!
jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2005, 04:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 111
majisto has a little shameless behaviour in the past

It's a common problem on the Contour as well. In fact, my friend just had hers go out. The position of it doesn't seem to be a bad place in the Contour, but I don't know where it is in the Taurus. How does the wiring harness look?
Old 06-24-2005, 08:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member Number: 1573
drmurdoc has a little shameless behaviour in the past

My 99 Intrepid did the same think. The second time I fixed it I bought a new resistor AND a new blower. Haven't had a problem since.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member Number: 2142
smoeke has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally posted by jeff@Jun 24 2005, 03:26 PM
02 Taurus SE, 52K miles

I bought the car in mid-April and had to replace the blower resistor because the blower only worked on high speed. Last week the blower resistor failed again and I replaced it on Monday this week and this morning, after running the blower on low speed then high speed I turned the speed back to low and noticed the blower resistor has failed again because, again, only high speed works.

Does anyone know why it keeps failing? Could it be water in the blower, and, if so, is there a way to get the water out of the blower or do I need to replace the blower or could the problem be something else like a bad switch? I have heard a little squeaking coming from the blower every now and then when I first turn on the A/C but didn't hear it this morning.

I know there is a TSB about this but haven't checked yet to see if the parts from the TSB have been installed, but I doubt it.

Any help is appreciated!
obviously that is too often as i have seen many cars (tauri included) go their whole life never needing this part replaced.

my guess would be your blower motor is drawing too much power and loading the resistor too much.

a new motor should run ~~~~~40-50 $$$$

mike
smoeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 11:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 4536
holedigger has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to holedigger

That makes sense. If the motor was seizing up it would explain the squeaking and cause an increase in motor current. Why the motor might do that is another question. It may simply be defective, or there could be water entering, for example.
Old 06-25-2005, 12:09 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member Number: 2833
firstgen89sho has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via ICQ to firstgen89sho Send a message via AIM to firstgen89sho Send a message via MSN to firstgen89sho Send a message via Yahoo to firstgen89sho

04-15-03 TSB cocerning, resistor, blower motor, and water into blower motor case.....

Mods - K&N Filter, Flowmasters, and 92-up Resonator, Eagle Alloy rims and Dunlop Tires, rebuilt engine and transmission, Rod Shifter
(to come - Subframe Connectors, Strut Tower Braces, Plus spoiler, Plus "Power Bulge" hood, and TwEECer RT)

Alberta SHO Club Main Page: http://www.albertashoclub.ca/
Alberta SHO Club Forum: http://www.albertashoclub.ca/forum/default.asp
firstgen89sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 10:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies!
I think I will try replacing the blower motor and resistor and see if that helps. Also I have read the TSB 04-15-3 which says to replace both and add something called a rain-hat extension seal to the cowl near the passenger windshield wiper and some silicone rubber to prevent water from getting in the the blower.

Here is TSB 04-15-3 Sorry, the figures it refers to do not show up here when I copied and pasted it. I hope this helps someone else who is having the same problem....

A/C - Erratic/Inoperative Blower Motor

TSB 04-15-3

08/09/04
WATER IN THE BLOWER CASE - BLOWER MOTOR
AND/OR RESISTOR FAILURE - VEHICLES BUILT
5/1/2001 TO 12/15/2003

FORD:
2001-2004 Taurus

MERCURY:
2001-2004 Sable

This article supersedes TSB 03-15-06 to update the vehicle model years and build date information.

ISSUE

Some vehicles built between 5/1/2001 and 12/15/2003 may exhibit water in the blower case or on the passenger side floor, an inoperative climate control blower motor, a motor that operates on high speed only, and/or a blower motor resistor failure.

ACTION

Inspect and seal cowl area and install Rain-Hat Extension Seal. Inspect and replace blower motor and/or blower motor resistor if there is evidence of water/corrosion. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

SERVICE PROCEDURE
1. Access blower motor and resistor per the Workshop Manual Sections 412-02 and 412-04. Inspect for evidence of water/corrosion. If water/corrosion are found or parts have failed, replace per Workshop Manual (blower motor 1F1Z-19805-AA and resistor F6DZ-19A706-AA).

2. Visually inspect the Cowl Vent Screen located under the RH windshield wiper to verify if the screen is fully seated. Inspect the rubber seal on the vent screen which should be fully seated against the windshield. If the cowl vent screen is not fully seated and appears warped, it must be replaced (4F1Z-54018A16-BAA).

3. Remove the cowl vent screen per the Workshop Manual Section 412-01 Pollen Filter Removal and inspect the cabin filter to confirm it is fully seated. Re-seat the filter as necessary. Inspect rain-hat base to make sure it is secure and sealed to the body. Reposition and reseal as necessary using Clear Silicone Rubber TA-32.

4. Remove the foam sealant expulsion at lower front outboard corner base of the rain-hat (Figure 1).

5. Locate the tape as shown (Figure 2). Remove the tape and apply Clear Silicone Rubber TA-32 to the small hole as shown (Figure 2).

6. Install the Rain-Hat Extension Seal or Shed Lip Seal 4F1Z-54022A54-AA to the outboard edge of the rain-hat (see Figure 2 for installation). The 10 mm by 10 mm (0.5" by 0.5") cut area, located 25 mm (1") from the end of the seal, will face down and locate at the 90 degree bend of the rain-hat on the fender side (Figure 3).

7. Prior to installation of the cowl vent screen, verify that the cabin filter cover is properly snapped in place and the clip is located on the inboard side, (toward the center of the bulkhead), the cover will feel loose if not properly snapped in place. Reinstall the cowl vent screen per Section 412-01 of the Workshop Manual.

Parts Block

WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME

041503A Install Rain Hat Extension 0.7 Hr.
Seal (Includes Time To
Remove, Inspect, And
Reinstall Or Replace If
Necessary The Blower
Motor, Blower Resistor, Or
Cowl Panel)

DEALER CODING

CONDITION
BASIC PART NO. CODE
54018A16 D8
Old 07-06-2005, 01:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member Number: 5448
shoboy07 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Can I only buy the blower motor resistor at the dealer? Or can I get it at another autoparts store?
shoboy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 05:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

It's $15 at the dealer for mine. I haven't been able to find it at an auto parts store.

I haven't gotten mine replaced yet, or the blower, etc. The wire harness looks good. Thanks God the A/C still works on high!
Old 07-19-2005, 01:56 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member Number: 5625
midday is an unknown quantity at this point

Service Bulletin 04-15-3
Attached Files
File Type: pdf FordTaurusWaterBlowerCase_SB04153.pdf (66.5 KB, 444 views)
midday is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement