What Causes A Caliper To Freeze Up? - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2005, 08:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 237
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
D Man has a little shameless behaviour in the past

ABout a month ago my driver side caliper strated to freeze up. Not completely but, enough to slow the car down when you let of the gas. And after a few miles after that you could smell the brunt pads and maybe a mile after that, the smoke starts coming up.
Well I replaced that caliper with one that I have laying around cause i put on the big brake kit on my other Taurus. After installing this other caliper that had been in my basement for about a year, and I didn't put on new pads or a new rotor , I drove it around and everything seemed fine. The brakes worked like normal.
And well today it happened again. I was about a 1/4 mile from my house when it started, so I was able to make it home this time. I could tell it was starting when I let of the gas to slow down for a turn that ws near my house when the car slowed down a lot faster than usual. Than when going down the road I was on I wouold take my foot off the gas and the car would start slowing down pretty fast. I was home a min later and after parking I could smell the brunt pads. I felt the center cap and it was pretty damn hot but the other side up front, that cap was cool.

So, I'm gonna buy a NEW caliper this time and new pads and rotors. And i should be fine for a little while <_<
But why did this happin to the same side with in a month from each other??
I hope that it was just a coeinsidence and I had 2 crappy calipers. Or could their be other things worng with the braking system to cause this??
I do have ABS, could that go bad and casue this to happin??
I just don't wanna buy these new parts and have this happin again in anothr month and ruin a new set of pads and probably warp a brand new rotor. I can easliy just take back the caliper but not the other parts.

Thanx for any help or info on this.
D Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2005, 08:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 92
Zeptoplix has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via ICQ to Zeptoplix Send a message via MSN to Zeptoplix

Theres a possibility your brake booster is going bad, on my 89 SHO the brake pedal was actualyl sticking down a bit causing me to ride the brakes involuntary. I think the rod that the pedal pushes was out of place some what.

Zeptoplix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 10:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
jason8225

Member Number:

Did you check the slider pins Dylan? If one side seems to be working and the other is not, maybe your fluid needs bled/flushed, but that wouldn't explain the sticking...
Old 06-03-2005, 01:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 299
Tman has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to Tman Send a message via MSN to Tman

the front caliper don't have slider pins on gen 3 do they? i though they were just a solid stationary unit. I'd replace the rubber brake hose on that size b/c they are know to colapse on themselves inside and cause the caliper to seize. They like 15 bucks and easy to replace but be careful doing b/c you can brake a hard brake line with is a major PITA or strip the nut. Use plenty of PB blaster

91 white SHO+ (broken weekly) 15.1@93 mph 2.6 60ft
2001 Dodge Dakota R/T(15.08@90.7mph) - Hedman headers, Flowmaster super 40 muffler, ventshades, 180 degree t-stat, heat range colder plugs, and 4 bald ass tires!!!!i

I've spent more money, time, and blood on this car then i care to even dream of and it's still only worth 500 bucks.Why in hell do i keep doing it? AHH that's right, for the look at the kids face in a mustang who got beat by a 13 year taurus. It makes it all worth it in the end. Now who wants to buy it.....lol

QUOTE (97GreenStreak3.0 @ Dec 5 2004, 07:55 PM)
GenI SHO+ with a police grille. Not much can beat that.
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 01:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 1423
Damon has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally posted by Tman@Jun 3 2005, 01:15 AM
the front caliper don't have slider pins on gen 3 do they? i though they were just a solid stationary unit. I'd replace the rubber brake hose on that size b/c they are know to colapse on themselves inside and cause the caliper to seize. They like 15 bucks and easy to replace but be careful doing b/c you can brake a hard brake line with is a major PITA or strip the nut. Use plenty of PB blaster
They do have slider pins. Definately give em a cleaning and re-lube them up.

Dylan, definately try bleeding out all the fluid.

-DC
Damon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 01:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 299
Tman has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to Tman Send a message via MSN to Tman

and replace those hoses!!!

91 white SHO+ (broken weekly) 15.1@93 mph 2.6 60ft
2001 Dodge Dakota R/T(15.08@90.7mph) - Hedman headers, Flowmaster super 40 muffler, ventshades, 180 degree t-stat, heat range colder plugs, and 4 bald ass tires!!!!i

I've spent more money, time, and blood on this car then i care to even dream of and it's still only worth 500 bucks.Why in hell do i keep doing it? AHH that's right, for the look at the kids face in a mustang who got beat by a 13 year taurus. It makes it all worth it in the end. Now who wants to buy it.....lol

QUOTE (97GreenStreak3.0 @ Dec 5 2004, 07:55 PM)
GenI SHO+ with a police grille. Not much can beat that.
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 02:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 300
taurusse1995 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to taurusse1995

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/inde...howtopic=19902There u go

"To keep one car on the guessing list, I donate my win to whoever wins yours, unless I win yours, then my win is donated solely to myself as a win squared. (win²) In the evnt that I do not win, the next winner wins the right to name the next car. (TrueBlue)"
taurusse1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 08:35 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member Number: 2734
connerm has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Instead of cleaning the slider pins, why not just replace them with new ones? Replace the rubber too while your in there. Cheap insurance if you ask me.
connerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 09:37 AM   #9 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 1181
SableOHC has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via Yahoo to SableOHC

I just had sticking rears on my Sable. The boot on the slider pin was torn letting water and and rusting the pin. I cleaned it off and relubed it as a temporary fix and have some new pins and boots from Ford Parts Network sitting on my bench waiting to go in.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:58 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member Number: 5324
Ryan00TJ has a little shameless behaviour in the past

This happens all the time in the Jeep community. Offroading and mud takes it's toll on the grease on the slider bushings causing them to not free float and lock up the brakes. I've had it happen two times. It always seems to happen after going through deep water or mud. In your case it's probably just from long term use with no maintenance.

Slide the caliper bushings out of the rubber covers and grease them with a marine synthetic grease that is made for use around water. I've found this stuff to work great. I reapply the grease every tire rotation or when i'm doing brake work.

With a street driven car you probably only need to do it every year or so.
Ryan00TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement