Transmission Fluid Shooting Thru Dipstick? - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2005, 09:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 5277
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
jj0822 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Hi all,

Have a 2001 Taurus V6 SES, auto tranny sedan, purchased new. It has been into the service dept at least 3 times because every once in a while there will be a puddle of transmission fluid under the car. It is not enough to register on the dipstick, but its a pain to clean up. Every service person has diagnosed/fixed a different problem, but it keeps happening. Anybody else ever have this problem and have it fixed? It seems to be happening either on startup or shutdown of the engine and is really random...

Thanks
jj0822 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2005, 01:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member Number: 5155
onamission has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I have the same problem on my '01 and have been to the dealer twice with no resolution. Sometimes the dipstick handle is actually raised up about an inch when I go to check it, as if it is pushing itself out. I actually think the leak may be coming from the front of the trans somewhere because the pan is always a little wet, but the gasket has been replaced.

But like you said, its leaking so little that it doesn't even show that its losing any on the dipsick. I've had this problem for about 7 months and havent even had to add any fluid yet.

Sorry I couldn't help, but at least you know you're not alone.
onamission is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2005, 01:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply, it is a relief. Since I don't think Ford has a resolution, I'm using the universal tool - duct tape!! I'll see if the tape will hold the dipstick in place, after one week so far so good...
Old 05-03-2005, 09:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 713
SixFoFalcon has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to SixFoFalcon

When the fluid boils over, it usually takes the path of least resistance and spews out the dipstick tube.

Have you been towing, driving mountain terrain, or putting any heavy loads on the car & transmission? How many miles on the car? How many miles since the last ATF change?
TOTALED1997 Ford Taurus SHO - 3.4L 32V Yamaha V8 - 90K - Kirked at 58K, 24mm FSB, 25mm RSB, Ford rear SFBs all around, Bob Gervais FSTB, VAK, K&N panel, SARC cutout switch, butterflies gutted, Apten performance chip, trunk-mounted dual Odyssey PC625s
TOTALED1995 Ford Taurus GL - Vulcan+AX4N - 91K - some mods
1964 Ford Falcon - 154K - 200 CID inline six, MSD 6AL + Pertronix, Granada discs
SixFoFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2005, 01:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 3350
Nidan has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via MSN to Nidan

Sounds like the vent on top of the tranny is plugged... we just had on in the other day.. a new Freestar, and that's what the problem turned out to be. The tech working on it popped the lil metal cap off the top of the vent, and when he did, the rubber underneath let out a hiss like a can of pop opening... the buildup of pressure in the tranny was causing the fluid to come out the dipstick tube.. engineering told him that they have just come up with a revised vent, and they are sending it right away to try out. Maybe this is your problem also.

- Barenaked Ladies
(it suits me so well sometimes, heh)
Nidan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2005, 03:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member Number: 4625
spinoza has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Good one. It sounded like venting to me too. Funny how simple things get screwed up on a redesign.
spinoza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2005, 08:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member Number: 4908
T@urus3.0 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

i think ill check the vent on mine (ax4n) to see if its plugged, cause every time i pop the hood i notice the dipstick is out an inch or two.
97 Taurus GL 'THE WILLOW GREEN STREET MACHINE' 3.0 OHV, AX4N Trans, Mods.-air intake silencer removed, Cyber White foglamps, Black Fuzzy Dice on the rear view mirror. Future Mods/Projects-home brew intake, CD player,SHO spoiler. 155,000 miles and counting.......
T@urus3.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2005, 08:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

The first time I took the car in, the tech did mention the vent fix and supposedly did this. Don't remember the 2nd visit, and the third visit they changed a part of some type. We don't tow with it, has about 50K miles and has done the spewing from almost day 1. We had the tranny fluid/filter changed at 30K.

I will check for the vent again.

Thanks.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member Number: 745
12Volt_rep has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Okay folks, this may be an easy fix.Today as we were finishing the filter changer and adding the fluid we noticed what may be causing this problem. It seems as though it may be related to the vent tube rubber cover. Rather than let it vent it is causing a seal and letting the pressure vent through the fill tube. As we were putting in the first quart the fluid started to gurgle and blow back up the funnel. My tranny tech knowing it is not supposed to do that decided to look at the vent tube cover and remove it. Once he did that the other 6 quarts went in just fine, like they are supposed to. So if any of you are still having this problem take off the rubber vent tube cover and examine it. If it is wet inside it may be causing the problem. Also check your dipstick and make sure the seal around it is not failing like mine is. I had to order a new dipstick today from Ford, but for $9.00 it was well worth the peice of mind. I am going to go ahead and replace the vent tube cover too, just for the sake of it...incase it is the cause of the problem.
12Volt_rep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.