No Heat At Idle.... - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2005, 07:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 2803
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
EIDROEDYR has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I have a 2001 Taurus SES and lately the heat has been giving me problems. The problem initially started a month ago when I noticed that the car was blowing cold air through the vents. I checked the coolant level and it appeared to be well below what it should when the coolant is cold. I filled it up and the problem seemed to go away. In the meantime, I continually checked the fluid level and noticed the fluid level was not where it should be when cold (I added more coolant).

Now, the problem is that when the car is idling in park, the air from the vents go cold. The air does not warm back up until the car starts moving again and even then it's not right away. I have looked for leaks and haven't found anything. I thought maybe the thermostat may be sticking but not sure. Any ideas you may have would be appreciated.
EIDROEDYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2005, 08:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Bob Gervais

Member Number:

The thermostat could be stuck open, but you should still get some heat at idle. How does the temp gauge look at idle, when you have no heat?

Some other things to check/think about:

-With the engine warmed up, feel both of the heater core hoses. They should be the same temperature. If not, the heater core is plugged and needs to be flushed and backflushed. Check in the "maintenance" section, listed at the top of the page, for info on this.

-When was the last time the cooling system was flushed/filled? It could be a matter of a dirty cooling system.

-This could also be a faulty water pump. Both radiator hoses should be the same temperature with the engine at normal operating temp.

-If coolant is disappearing slowly, and you're not seeing a leak, take out the degas tank (commonly referred to as the overflow tank) and check it for leakage. Often times, the bottom of the tank will crack and leak slowly. Most times you can't see it, since the framerail is directly below the tank.

Good luck, and let us know if you need any more help!
Old 02-15-2005, 06:43 AM   #3 (permalink)

There is no change in the temp gauge. It remains approximately at the mid point. There is no change to the temp gauge at all once it gets to operating temperature.

The coolant was flushed and filled approx. 15K-20K miles ago. The car currently has 74K on it.

If the water pump is faulty, will there be any obvious signs other than the hoses not being the same temperature (i.e. engine over heating)?

Also, I'll check what you suggested this evening.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
Bob Gervais

Member Number:

Since the temp gauge does not change, my guess is that you have either a blocked heater core, or a faulty blend door in the HVAC system.

Once you check the heater hoses, we can pinpoint the problem.

At this point I don't think the water pump is to blame, or the thermostat.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:53 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the information. Like I said, I will check it out after work and post what I find out this evening.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 3501
somedude has a little shameless behaviour in the past

now this is a quality no BS thread... except for this post of course
Old 02-15-2005, 06:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

I checked both heater core hoses and they were both the same temperature (hot!!). The hose to the thermostat and water pump were hot as well.

I looked for fluid pooling underneath the overflow and it appeared to be some condensation but I couldn't differentiate between a possible leak or fluid that spilled when I was filling it previously. I wasn't able to take it out as that will be saved for the weekend.
Old 02-15-2005, 06:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Bob Gervais

Member Number:

It sounds to me like it's a blend door problem, which I have not had the displeasure of dealing with. Perhaps someone else can help out with this.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Member Number: 4431
Robert L has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via MSN to Robert L

Quote:
Originally posted by EIDROEDYR@Feb 14 2005, 07:27 PM
I checked the coolant level and it appeared to be well below what it should when the coolant is cold.* I filled it up and the problem seemed to go away.
Have your car pressure checked, by your description, you OBVIOUSLY have a coolant leak.

When you fix the coolant leak, you will fix your heater problem.
Robert L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 07:17 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member Number: 4771
85Dave has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I agree with Robert. If you are constantly adding coolant, you have other problems. If there aren't any obvious leaks, you might have a blown head gasket or intake leak. You must find out the source of the leak.
85Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement