How To Flush Your Tranny At Home - Page 29 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2012, 01:18 PM   #281 (permalink)

Member Number: 44349
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: '02 3.0L EFI SES w/AX4N
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
killermrob83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Why go out and spend money for something that isn't needed, and then have to find space to store it? Just as easy to drop one side as the other, only the one way will wind up with less mess. Personal preference always comes out on top. Just a suggestion, not a contradiction. Thanks to the TCCA for the good flush procedure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 10:59 AM   #282 (permalink)

Member Number: 34306
Drives: 1994 Mercury Sable 3.8
hardknoxfirst is an unknown quantity at this point

Spam links for pics? Nice...not.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:55 PM   #283 (permalink)

Member Number: 47248
Drives: 1998 Taurus V6
vmaxim is an unknown quantity at this point

In step # 2 you stated to place the car on jack stands. At this point the vehicle would be much higher in the front than the rear. Would this have any effect on the amount of fluid that could be removed? I asked you this because I have access to a old time drive over pit that was somewhat common in old home garages many years ago.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:24 PM   #284 (permalink)

Member Number: 54587
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 2000 sel duratech
Triton3.5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking

New member here,, Just did all this, this afternoon, per Dlc360's recommendations,, got the car up, unhooked cooling line, started car, drained into big bucket, stopped engine, put in 5 qts. started car, flushed, stopped motor, put in 5 more qts. and flushed,, stopped motor, THEN dropped pan, replace filter, cleaned pan, AND MAGNET, put everything back per the instructions I read about ON THIS COOL SITE!! refilled with merc V. and that's it!! A super big thankyou to all that expressed help on these pages, btw, its a 2000 sel, duratech, with 124,000 runs real good! I prolly would not have done this, if I hadn't joined just a few days ago....... regards... Greg
Old 06-04-2013, 12:52 PM   #285 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 9726
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 2003 Taurus SE Wagon. 12-2007 TCCA COTM 08-2011 TCCA ROTM
Trader Score: 1 reviews
dlc360 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to dlc360

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxim View Post
In step # 2 you stated to place the car on jack stands. At this point the vehicle would be much higher in the front than the rear. Would this have any effect on the amount of fluid that could be removed? I asked you this because I have access to a old time drive over pit that was somewhat common in old home garages many years ago.
If you have a pit available use it, that's the safest way to get under a car. Myself, When I did the trans service I always jacked the whole car up. When working under a car, I like to raise the whole thing just for more clearance & you can check other things under the car at the same time.

Thanks Triton3.5 for the compliment. I used this same write up on my cars. The original poster gets credit for that.

DLC360 2003 Taurus SE Wagon.
A daily driver that thinks its a show car.
December 2007 COTM, August 2011 ROTM
Aug. 2010 T.S.O.C. COTM & 2010 T.S.O.C. COTY
24 Time Award & Trophy Winner
03/31/2006 - 04/11/2012

Presently driving,
2011 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport 3.0L V6
2003 Mercedes Benz CLK430 Cabriolet 4.3L V8
1987 Porsche 924S 2.5L 4cyl.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:59 PM   #286 (permalink)

Member Number: 63649
Chapter: West Coast
Drives: 2001 Taurus SE
Joe_Blough is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Made an Ass Out of Myself

Boy did I make an ass out of myself on this one.

I did this and as I was refilling the tranny fluid after reconnecting the tranny return hose, it appeared to be leaking from the pan. I had the reuseable gasket and reused it torquing the bolts to 106 inch pounds per the Hyanes Manual.

I had purchased a new gasket because I just purchased this car used and did not know if the gasket was the reusable one. I thought the old gasket was bad so I dropped the pan again to replace the gasket with the new one.

I installed the new gasket and as I was refilling, it started leaking again. I double checked my torque again and wiped away the leaking area and it stopped. I was doing a quart at a time and I thought it was odd that it was leaking with just a couple quarts when it shouldn't have even reached the height of the gasket.

So then it hit me. I removed the funnel from the fill hole and sure enough, I could see tranny fluid on a hose below. Apparently, even though I was only doing a quart at a time, I was filling it too fast and it was coming out of the fill tube and leaking down in a way that made it drip right off one side of the pan. That's why it stopped after I wiped it and why it started after only a quart or two.

I then refilled slowly and the "leak" never came back.

I wasted a lot of time, fluid, and a gasket I could have returned for a refund on this. Had to run to two Walmarts to get more fluid (one Walmart had one quart on the shelf). My funnel wasn't very big and I thought I was pouring slowly enough as I seem to recall one poster who had the same issue but I thought he had a large funnel.

So what would have taken 3 hours ended up taking 8.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:10 PM   #287 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 10865
sheila is a glorious beacon of lightsheila is a glorious beacon of light

Dee-ta-dee, lol!!!
Old 10-08-2013, 10:16 PM   #288 (permalink)
Play Nice or Don't Play

Member Number: 55506
Drives: Only Fords
jag1959 has a reputation beyond reputejag1959 has a reputation beyond reputejag1959 has a reputation beyond reputejag1959 has a reputation beyond reputejag1959 has a reputation beyond repute

Old 10-08-2013, 10:20 PM   #289 (permalink)

Member Number: 63649
Chapter: West Coast
Drives: 2001 Taurus SE
Joe_Blough is an unknown quantity at this point

Another note. I pumped out 4.5 quarts when I ran the engine and got another 1.5 quarts when I dropped the pan, for a total of 6 quarts. I was expecting to get close to 13, but I didn't check the level before I started.

I then put 14 quarts in (probably 2 or 3 quarts more than I needed but the fluid came out dark brown like oil so I wanted to be sure it was flushed well) but only pumped out 11 before the flow stopped.

I then reconnected the return line put another 2 quarts in which should have given me 5 quarts in. I then noticed leak and dropped the pan to change the gasket and got another 4.5 quarts out, leaving me with .5 quarts in.

When I went to refill everything, It took only 7 quarts before going to the top of the cross hatch pattern on the dip stick.

So it looks like there is always about 6 quarts in the tranny even after pumping it out and dropping the pan.

I was confused by the original post that said add ten quarts and pump until it stops or turns red and then add 5 quarts and check level, not realizing there is always about 6 quarts remaining in the tranny (which makes sense if he said only add 5 quarts and then check the level).

I almost put 8 quarts in before checking, assuming I was going to need about 12 or 13 quarts but I stopped at 7 quarts.

The fluid level is a little above the top of the cross hatch pattern. Maybe 1/8 inch. Do I need to pump some out to get it in the crosshatch pattern?

Last edited by Joe_Blough; 10-08-2013 at 10:34 PM.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:10 PM   #290 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 10865
sheila is a glorious beacon of lightsheila is a glorious beacon of light

If it's only ~1/8" above the crosshatch when checked warm, idling in park, I wouldn't be concerned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread