Turn Signal Switch And Brake Light. - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2004, 05:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 4417
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
motero has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Hello
I have a real problem. I saw the thread in the common problem forum that touched on this subject, but it does not let me post there to ask any questions. So does that make that forum usless? ok now the real problem 1995 ford taurus the signals don't work so i cant pass inspection. So i cant drive it till i get this sorted out. The emergency flashers work, the whole switch unit is good it tests good and is new. The turn signals don't work. But if you have your foot on the brake and flick the lever just right you can get them to flash for just a split second. It only works if the brake pedal is pressed. How are the signals and brake lights related? Do they use the same fuse/power source?

Billcas188 wrote
"I found a short in the large yellow wire that supplys 12v to the bus bar on the fuse panel for fuse 1 and the a few others (Hazard, turn signal). I tried to find where the short was but after one hour on my back under the dash with 2 alarm systems spliced everywhere and a radio I gave up and just pulled a power supply from the door chime fuse pin to the bus bar so it now has power and everything works well. Thanks for the reply also. "

So is this the only way to fix the problem? Pull a new power source from the fuse box? Who can help shed some more light on this problem. I am realy stumped.
TIA
motero is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2004, 08:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member Number: 4388
73bronco has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Did the lights work before? Did they go out all at once? Does any of the lights light up with the blinker on? Or did you buy the car and are trying to get the lights to work? Two things I would do first to eliminate the easy fix. Check the flasher for the blinkers, I believe the EF (emergency flashers) and the blinkers have seperate flashers. Also physically check the bulbs, it is very possible you have more than one bulb burned out. If you do the none of the signals will work. If you have a light tester you can turn the signals on and check with the tester. Doug.
73bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 07:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 640
Chapter: Southern
Drives: 2003 Ford Taurus SEL
qwertz9586 will become famous soon enough

I think it's the multi-function switch (turn signal lever) that's going bad. The turn signals in the taillight double as the brake lights. It gets the power from the brake pedal switch and that power goes thru the MFS and the MFS activates the proper light to cut power to make it flash.

[ 2003 Ford Taurus SEL ] - [ 1995 Mercury Sable GS ]
Ford Lincoln Mercury Sable? A personal conveyance named after its inventor, an
assassinated ruler, a character from Greco-Roman myth and a small furry mammal.
qwertz9586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 11:00 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member Number: 4417
motero has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Thank you for your ideas, The bulbs are good, They do light up in the front and the rear when I do the brake/flick technique. The MFS if good to I have tested it and replaced it, So i have two working MFS's. I did not see another flasher but i will look into that. That might be the problem. The one flasher is under the dash near the drivers door. Where is the other one located? And the brake light using the same bulb makes me think that the regular flasher circut (when the brakes are not on) is not getting power. because the hiden second flasher is bad or there is a short in a wire some where.

Big question Does any body have the wireing diagram for the lights on a 95 Taurus? That would be great if i could look at a set.

Thanks
motero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 01:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member Number: 40
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: '10
Mcgilles has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to Mcgilles

I had a similar problem that when I would use my emergency flashers, they would work just fine, then the regualar turn signals would go out for a while then come back on magically. quite a pain, but it turned out to be the multi-disfunction swich. I had a friend and expert take it apart and clean it and it works like new now.

as for your problem since you are sure you have a good switch, my next instinct would be either the flasher as another has mentioned, or the power wire that supplies power to the turn signals, which will be different from the flashers since the flashers run off a hot at all times wire, and the turn signals are off a hot in run wire. I can't think of any other function that would run off a hot in run power source, that would be a good way to test the theory easy. but I would check that. someone with a service manual, can you post up a diagram of the pins on the multifunction switch of this year? find which pin is the hot in run wire and test it with a voltmeter, see if you get good power. another thing I just thought of though, is the flasher in the turn signal circuit before or after the multifunction switch? if its before the switch, then you should see a flashing 12V signal on that turn signal input power wire when you have either singal on, if you get that, and the switch is good, then you know your problem is in the wiring afterwards. probably not the case, if you don't get a good signal, then I'd check the flasher. if the flashers turn out to be after the switch, then you should get the constant 12V in run signal as I described above. hang on for a little while and see if anyone has a shop manual and can post a wiring diagram, if not, I have one for my 97, but I know the multifunction switch is the same...maybe the wiring is too? but best to get a gen 2's diagram is possible.
good luck.
Mcgilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 01:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 125
Trader Score: 4 reviews
shoz123 is an unknown quantity at this point

http://shoforum.com/diagrams/diagrams.htm

for wiring diagrams
shoz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 06:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member Number: 8160
boatonwheels has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I know this is an old thread but I have the exact same problem, with a 1995 Taurus Station Wagon GL. I got in a minor accident where the left front headlight got messed up, so I had to redo some wiring and replace most of the bulbs. Now, the hazards work fine, so do the headlights and brakelights, but the turn signal doesn't do anything. I haven't yet tried the brake light pushing+turn signal test, but I'll post again if that works.
If anyone ended up finding out where the other flasher is, could you please tell me? The signal worked right after the accident as i was driving home, but it went on and off really fast because some of the bulbs were broken at that point. The next time I started the car, I got nothing for the signals, even after fixing all the bulbs and wires. Do flashers tend to wear out if they go on and off fast like that with no resistance from the lightbulbs? Is there some other solution that ended up fixing the poster's car? Could someone please help me, as I'm a teenager and I really don't have the money to pay for a mechanic to fix my parents' 11 year old car.
boatonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 06:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member Number: 40
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: '10
Mcgilles has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to Mcgilles

its possible that you got some of the wiring wrong if you needed to repair any of it, I'd double check that first. also check the fuses, the accident could have shorted out a wire or two in there and caused it to blow a fuse.
Mcgilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 07:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member Number: 8160
boatonwheels has a little shameless behaviour in the past

The only wire I really changed was a wire directly connected to a turn signal that got severed, and that bulb works for the hazards, so I don't think that would be the problem, right? I did just look at it though, and I don't see any exposed metal or anything. I also checked every fuse that looked remotely related, and they all looked fine, and, moreover, all the other stuff allegedly on those fuses worked anyways. Do you know about the flasher thing, because, even if that isn't the problem, I'm still curious as to whether there's a single one or another one for the signals, and if there are two, where is the second located? Any other ideas that could help would also be appreciated, and thank you very much for your response.
boatonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement