Where Is The Blower Motor Resistor In The 2001? - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2004, 09:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 4213
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
gmbhbls has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Thumbs down

I have a 2001 Taurus and am having problems locating the blower motor resistor. The guy at the local dealership insists that it is located "behind the glove box." I have looked back there and have been unable to find it. On a friend's 1996 Taurus it's right there.

I have located the blower, under the glove box behind the passenger kick plate, but am unable to determine where the resistor is. I have a manual from AutoZone that provides me with a photo of the resistor, it's cover, and how to remove the two screws that hold it in place. Unfortunately, it's a general manual for multiple years of Taurus' and the 2001 model must have relocated it to another place.

Obviously I am having issues with the ETC and need to replace the resistor in the hopes that this will remedy my problem. The service guy at the dealership told me, "99% of the time it's the resistor that goes bad and not the blower itself."

I'd like to try to correct this problem myself without having to pay $92 dollars for a diagnostic and then paying $10+ for a part.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd be very grateful.
gmbhbls is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2004, 01:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 3350
Nidan has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via MSN to Nidan

Here's the blower motor resistor instructions from the service manual - hope it helps.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Blower_Motor_Resistor.doc (40.5 KB, 442 views)

- Barenaked Ladies
(it suits me so well sometimes, heh)
Nidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 09:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thumbs down

I've searched and searched for the blower motor resistor and have not been able to find anything that looks like the diagram that was in the prior post. Unless it's tucked away in some corner of the dash, I don't think that it looks the same or something.

I've taken a number of photos of the underside of the glove box area and have posted them at this web site: http://www.geocities.com/dew_a_day/taurus/

If anyone can look at them and tell me what they think in regard to the potential placement of this fixture it would be much appreciated. I am at my wits end in regard to searching for this thing.

I'm almost certain that it's in a different place for this model year.

Once again, any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 3350
Nidan has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via MSN to Nidan

Ah... didn't notice you had EATC... ok, in your pics, you have pics of the blower motor speed controller. That's what's on yours, not a resistor like the regular climate control. See in the bottom pic on your link, the black box with 2 connectors, a green and a white? That's the blower motor speed controller.

- Barenaked Ladies
(it suits me so well sometimes, heh)
Nidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 10:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thank you! I'm sorry that I failed to point that out. I've only had the car since late August and I'm still trying to get into the swing of things.

Okay, I know what you are speaking of (the black box with the two connectors). What can I do to remedy my problem of the blower not blowing? Do I need to replace that component (the black box)? Is there something within that box that needs to be replaced to solve my dilemma?

The situation that I have now is this: I can feel air coming out of the ducts while the vehicle is in motion. While it's idle, nothing happens. I'm assuming that I am getting flow because of the car's movement. I understand that the blower could be shot. If that's the case, I will either replace it myself or have it done.

Is there is anythig else that I can do or check, before I take it in for service on Saturday? As I mentioned earlier, I'd like to save that $92 on the diagnostic.

Once again, I appreciate all of your help!
Old 11-18-2004, 09:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 125
Trader Score: 4 reviews
shoz123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

With the fan speed set on high and the key on you should have 12V at the blower motor from the controller. If you do it's the motor, if you don't it's the controller or circuit powering it. There is also a 40A fuse, a 10A fuse and a relay under the hood in the fuse box for the fan.
Attached Images
File Type: gif e1h_us_en_file_e1hen01g.gif_gen_ref.gif (11.3 KB, 558 views)
shoz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement