Power Steering Pump Replacement - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2004, 12:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 1146
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
sandrew has a little shameless behaviour in the past

The power steering pump on this thing has always been a little noisy...not whiny but more like bearing noise. About a week ago I started noticing the occasional squeal when turning the wheel but it seemed to go away after the car warmed up. Well, two days ago I went to back out of a parking space and when I turned the wheel I was greeted with a GRONK kind of noise along with the squeal. It has done this a couple of times since then and now the pump squeals pretty much any time there is a load on it.

I've replaced the fluid twice in the last 2 days and it is toasting it almost immediately. Looks like I'm up for replacement but I just wanted to see if there is anything in the rack I should be checking as well before I make the assumption that the pump is the only problem.

I can't afford a brand new pump, so if anybody has a good review on any of the remanufactured ones available I'd appreciate it. There's NAPA, Advance Auto, Auto Zone & Champion here locally and Rock Auto online.

Of course this comes shortly after I ordered new plugs, plug wires, cap/rotor, tranny filter & pan gasket from Rock Auto. I'm doing the plugs tomorrow and the tranny/power steering pump next Saturday.

Then the paycheck after that will be spent on parts to fix the timing chain cover gasket leak, plus a new water pump, lower radiator hose, timing chain & rod bearings.

I mean, I love my car & all but why does she feel the need for all this attention at once?

My poor wallet...

sandrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2004, 01:05 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member Number: 3675
nascarmike has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Good news, I'm an A.S.E. parts pro for Napa, I'll ckeck it out for you on Tuesday, and give you the price,(off tomorrow and Monday). But the one You'll get from Napa will have a lifetime warrenty. You'll also need to buy or borrow a pulley puller/installer set because the pump doesn't come with the pulley. Also get the pump with the resivor installed, the price diff. is minimal. Your current pump has a smoked bearing, thats the gronk sound now, and the reason for the previos humm/whine, and also its the cause of the burnt fluid. Man, I can't spell for crap!!!!!!
nascarmike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2004, 12:19 AM   #3 (permalink)

Ok...looking through the Chilton's to give myself an idea what I'm in for, one of the first steps after removing the passenger side wheel/tire:

"Remove right rear engine mount....."

Is this really necessary? 'Cause looking at the steps for THAT I might be in over my head. ("using engine raising equipment raise the engine approximately 1"...)

Another question: I took the belt off and checked the play in the pulley on the PS pump. It has about 1/16 to 1/8" play in it. Is this normal or just another indication that the thing is borked?

Old 09-02-2004, 04:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

I wasn't sure if I could do this myself and the pump was dying quickly so I took it to the shop that my family & I have gone to for over 10 years.

They put on a reman Motorcraft pump and new pulley. Picked up the car & drove it home. Opened the resevoir and saw dark fluid. (no, not dark red like atx fluid) This appears to me that they did NOT flush out all the old fluid which I thought was a must-do when swapping the pump or rack & pinion and just let the new mix with the old burnt stuff.

Today the pump starts squealing a bit like there is air in the system. Which according to what I've read requires some vacuum tool to remove. Could this have been avoided if they had flushed the !@#$% system like they were supposed to? Or is there a possibility that there is a problem with the rack & pinion that could be causing problems? I kinda want to know before I take the car over there next week and start calling him names.

I mean charge me $10 for p/s fluid and only replace $1 worth in the resevoir? Gimme a !@#$% break!

I'm just as much disappointed as I am pissed off. I've never had a problem with their service before but I guess there's a first time for everything.

Old 09-02-2004, 04:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 1637
Chapter: Northeast
tmonster has a little shameless behaviour in the past

..when i had my rack replaced i had to add fluid a few miles later.... to "bleed" the power steering system, remove the cap off the reservoir , and with the car running, turn the wheel to the right and left several times, DO NOT turn all the way tho to the point the wheel stops. Do this a few times and the air should work its way out. As far as the fluid looking dirty, it may have just picked up contaminents in the system...ive never seen clean clear power steering fluid except for mine, but my rack was cracked and the bushings were non existant and all the fluid had sprayed out...
1996 Ford Taurus LX 187,000 (rusted out, but drives)
1980 Mazda RX-7 Anniversary X 142k (project)

Past Vehicals
1993 Isuzu Trooper (junked)
1992 Ford Tempo GL (sold)
1992 Subaru Loyale (sold/junked)
1994 Toyota Camry LE (sold)
1996 Ford Taurus GL (junked)
1994 Ford Aerostar Cargo (sold)
1993 Ford Taurus (traded)
1990 Ford Tempo GL (sold/junked)
1987 Dodge Aries (junked)
tmonster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2004, 06:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 3341
Drives: 2004 Chevy Impala SS Indy Limited Edition
EDIII has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via ICQ to EDIII Send a message via AIM to EDIII

sandrew, when the PS started to the the gronk noise, did you also notice when you would turn to the right that it felt like there was something bouncing on the steering wheel?

I ask because my sister's 93 Taurus GL makes the squeal and gronk noise. When turning to the left feels fine, turning right it feels like there is something bouncing agains the steering column. I was curious if that was caused by the pump (which I knew was bad months ago), or the more likely senario, something deeper.

Current Ride: 2004 Chevrolet Impala SS Indianapolis Motor Speedway Edition - #1752 of 4088
-3.8L SC Engine - 240 hp, 270 tq, 87,000 miles
- PFC front pads|Silverstar Ultra Headlights & High Beams|K&N CAI|Optima Redtop Battery|17"x7.5" Sort Edition F7 Rims|Kumho Escta SPT Tires

Old Ride: 1998 Taurus SE Sport with the Duratec 122k miles - October 2006 COTM
K&N Filter|JVC KD-G300|2 10" Lightning Audio Subs|450W Lightning Audio Amp|Silverstars|PFC Pads, Duralast Rotors (Rear)|EBC Greenstuff Pads and Duralast Rotors (Front)|Hadyen Tranny Cooler|Pioneer 2-way 6"x8" Speakers|Polk Aduio 6.5" components|KYBs w/ SHO Springs|23mm Rear Swaybar|Gen III SHO Wheels w/ Ponteza G009s|SFCs|FSTB|SHO Bros High Flow Y-pipe
My Taurus
EDIII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2004, 06:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

tmonster: I'll have the car up on jackstands this weekend to replace the tranny fluid - I'll try your suggestion and hopefully it'll take care of it.

EDIII: No weird vibrations or movements accompanied the noise, just a very brief hesitation in the power assist.

Again, thanks to all on the boards for your help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.