Ax4n Fluid Change - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2004, 09:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 2348
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Mexjames has a little shameless behaviour in the past

It's that time of the year when I change my tranny oil. I have a '97 Duratec Sable with the AX4N. Can I use Mercon V, should I stick to Mercon III or can I use Mobil synthetic in the tranny?

Also, the car has 47,000 original miles. Should I add a tranny cooler? It has the original hairpin cooler from the factory but from reading all your posts it doesn't seem to be enough. The car seldom goes to the highway but it goes up and down hill, speed bumps and heavy traffic.

Thanks!
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2004, 09:49 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member Number: 3041
LoadedLX has a little shameless behaviour in the past

with that low mileage...i'd say go ahead and switch to mercon v. its a full synthetic...whereas mercon III isn't (pretty sure, anyway). in high mileage vehicles, it doesn't really make a difference.

a tranny cooler is always a good idea. it's not necessary, unless you drive your car like you stole it...but still a good idea. it will prolong the life of your tranny, and they're fairly inexpensive and easy to install.

good luck.

oh yeah, welcome to the club.

1997 Ford Taurus LX
3.0L 24v DOHC Duratec V6

Forget the bull, ride the girl!
(Denim & Diamonds, Nashville, Tennessee)

<span style=\'color:green\'>Check out my garage!!
LoadedLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 09:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 899
godspunk32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to godspunk32

A trans cooler would be good for the car. It will definitely extend the life of your transmission, which is the most likely system to break down on your car.

The AX4N definitely needs Mercon V. Some people have used Mercon III and then used some sort of conditioner that makes the Mercon III more like Mercon V, but I don't know about it. I'm doing a trans flush and fill this weekend, and I'm using Mercon V.

Does anyone know how much trans fluid I shoudl get to do a flush and fill?

JR

godspunk32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 09:54 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member Number: 3041
LoadedLX has a little shameless behaviour in the past

you need to buy twelve quarts, and then send me six of them. your car won't run right unless you do exactly that

i think its five..but don't hold me to it. call the nearest ford dealership...they'll know.

1997 Ford Taurus LX
3.0L 24v DOHC Duratec V6

Forget the bull, ride the girl!
(Denim & Diamonds, Nashville, Tennessee)

<span style=\'color:green\'>Check out my garage!!
LoadedLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 10:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 899
godspunk32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to godspunk32

The capacity for the trans is 13.3 qts. The Haynes manual says to buy 4 to 5 qts of the appropriate fluid. This, I believe, is only for a fliter change and fill. Not sure how much I'd need for a flush and fill.

JR

godspunk32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 10:28 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member Number: 421
diesel600 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to diesel600

mercon v is not a full synthetic, it is part synthetic.
diesel600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 10:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 3501
somedude has a little shameless behaviour in the past

lets clear up some terms here. if you are dropping your tranny pan replacing the filter that can be considered a tranny service or drain and refill.

if you use a flush machine it is considered a "flush" you are not likely going to have one of these machines at your house. as the are quite pricy.

that said I would HIGHLY reccomend the tranny flush and here is the reason with a example. first the example.

I decide to do a tranny service or drain and refill on my car so I drive to autozone and ask "how much fluid and what kind" they say oh 5 qt dextron/mercon so I buy 5 qt and drive to the ford dealer because autozone dosent have the gasket and filter. I then get home and drive my car onto ramps, get out the drain pan and start unbolting the pan, btw there is a order to do this unless you want to cover everything in tranny fluid. I start on the pointed side and work my way to the driver side of the car* but not removing 2 of the bolts on the long flat side (driverside) remove all bolts except those 2 just start loostening the 2 and it will slowly lower your pan thus having a controlled drain. I replace the filter bolt up the pan and fill it with 5 qt of fluid. start her up and check the fluid. its low but driveable, it ended up taking 7-8 qt.

that said (now that I've waisted 3.25 minutes of your time)

when you drain and refill you only take about half of the fluid out, and your not really cleaning anything. However when you flush your tranny a detergent is put in to clean all the crap out then they hook up the machine inline with a cooler or other tranny line. the machine throws away your old fluid and puts new clean fluid inplace of it. took between 17-20 qt (average would be about 15 on our cars) to CLEAN out my old tranny, but then again it wa cooked, two months later to die. (long story)

morral if you have a friend in the business get it flushed. but don't get me wrong I would still recoment a drain and refill over nothing any day... as long as you replace the filter
Old 08-17-2004, 11:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 2397
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2001 Taurus SEL - Duratec 2008 Mercedes E350 4matic
henrysel will become famous soon enough

The only thing I would add to the above post is that when you drop the pan, you can also clean out the magnet and all the little metal parts sitting on the bottom of the pan. A flush by a machine skips this whole step and leaves in the dirty filter.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:25 AM   #9 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 1423
Damon has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally posted by godspunk32@Aug 17 2004, 10:01 AM
The capacity for the trans is 13.3 qts. The Haynes manual says to buy 4 to 5 qts of the appropriate fluid. This, I believe, is only for a fliter change and fill. Not sure how much I'd need for a flush and fill.

JR
Just buy a case. A case has 12 quarts. When I did the flush on mine I used the cheapest brand available, which was coastal. I think it was about 2.49 a qt at autozone. The next price range was around 3.19 (aamco, IIRC).

-DC
Damon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 01:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 713
SixFoFalcon has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to SixFoFalcon

First off, there is no such thing as MERCON III. There is MERCON, which happens to meet GM's DEXRON III spec, which is why people miscall it MERCON III. The MERCON spec does not specify whether the ATF should be conventional, synthetic, or a blend. Mobil 1 is fully synthetic and it meets the MERCON spec. AMSoil, Redline, and some others also meet the MERCON spec and have synthetic formulations.

MERCON V is typically a semi-synthetic ATF for later ATXes. The only exception is that AMSoil claims to meet MERCON V specs (and most people agree that the claims are valid), and it is a synthetic formula. Mobil 1 and most other synthetics won't meet the MERCON V spec and shouldn't be used in newer AX4Ns.

For a Taurus/Sable AX4N built for the 1997 model year, MERCON is the correct fluid to use. The switch to MERCON V was made in 1998. DO NOT MIX MERCON AND MERCON V, OR SUBSTITUTE ONE FOR THE OTHER!!!

[img]http://www.v8sho.com/SHO/images/TSB/T11507usenfiletb6339a.gifgenref.gif' alt='' width='620' height='913' class='attach' />
TOTALED1997 Ford Taurus SHO - 3.4L 32V Yamaha V8 - 90K - Kirked at 58K, 24mm FSB, 25mm RSB, Ford rear SFBs all around, Bob Gervais FSTB, VAK, K&N panel, SARC cutout switch, butterflies gutted, Apten performance chip, trunk-mounted dual Odyssey PC625s
TOTALED1995 Ford Taurus GL - Vulcan+AX4N - 91K - some mods
1964 Ford Falcon - 154K - 200 CID inline six, MSD 6AL + Pertronix, Granada discs
SixFoFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement