How Much Gas Left In Tank When Gas Light Comes On? - Page 2 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2004, 08:26 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member Number: 2513
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
00Taurus has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally posted by PC_Marine@May 16 2004, 06:58 PM
My 2000 SE has a 16 gallon tank, and the gas light comes on when I have roughly 3 gallons of gas left.
Hey thanks for the info, I haven't run my tank down that low enough yet to even see if the light works!! Now I know.
Not bad for a ex-marine chick, huh?
00Taurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2004, 11:02 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member Number: 2137
Kenitz has a little shameless behaviour in the past

What's a gas light!?

(P.S. Being saracastic. ) :-p
Old 05-24-2004, 11:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 713
SixFoFalcon has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to SixFoFalcon

NEVER trust someone else's info concerning the gas gauge or warning light. Our cars vary greatly in this aspect, even when comparing the same year and model. There has been an argument among V8SHO.com list members for YEARS about what the actual tank capacity is. In those recurring arguments, some have noted they run out of gas completely within 20 miles of the warning light turning on. Others have gone 50 miles or more. I once ran out of gas before the light even turned on. I dumped 2.5 gallons of gas in, and by the time I got to the gas station, the light decided to turn on. <_< The gas gauge is hardly a precision instrument.
TOTALED1997 Ford Taurus SHO - 3.4L 32V Yamaha V8 - 90K - Kirked at 58K, 24mm FSB, 25mm RSB, Ford rear SFBs all around, Bob Gervais FSTB, VAK, K&N panel, SARC cutout switch, butterflies gutted, Apten performance chip, trunk-mounted dual Odyssey PC625s
TOTALED1995 Ford Taurus GL - Vulcan+AX4N - 91K - some mods
1964 Ford Falcon - 154K - 200 CID inline six, MSD 6AL + Pertronix, Granada discs
SixFoFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 11:25 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member Number: 2513
00Taurus has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally posted by SixFoFalcon@May 24 2004, 11:20 PM
NEVER trust someone else's info concerning the gas gauge or warning light. Our cars vary greatly in this aspect, even when comparing the same year and model. There has been an argument among V8SHO.com list members for YEARS about what the actual tank capacity is. In those recurring arguments, some have noted they run out of gas completely within 20 miles of the warning light turning on. Others have gone 50 miles or more. I once ran out of gas before the light even turned on. I dumped 2.5 gallons of gas in, and by the time I got to the gas station, the light decided to turn on. <_< The gas gauge is hardly a precision instrument.
Hmmmmmmmm....... Good point!!
Not bad for a ex-marine chick, huh?
00Taurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 12:58 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member Number: 2585
Noir04 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I've got two warnings for low fuel on my SES. I've got the digital readout the esimates how many miles I can drive, and after about 3 or so miles after that hits zero, it will tell me I need fuel. The computer option is great!

I had to run it close, to get back to base for gas. I didn't want to pay almost 7 dollars per gallon. Gotta love living in England!!

2004 Taurus SES Duratec
RAF Lakenheath
United Kingdom

Crusin the British Carraigeways
Noir04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 01:23 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member Number: 21
biteableniles has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to biteableniles

Seriously, you'll have to learn about the gas gauge yourself, it adjusts to each car. I try to fill up as soon as the light comes on; I can get about 50 miles (or more) when it does come on, but fuel is used as a coolant for the fuel pump, and running dry means (risking) killing the pump.

I don't really even know the capacity of my tank. I normally fill up about 13.7 - 14.5 gallons, but one time I drove an extra long time with the gas light on (looking for a station) and I fit more than 17 gallons in without spillover. I don't know if the pump was messing up or something, but it freaked me out, and it hasn't happened since.
Old 05-26-2004, 08:37 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member Number: 1436
jj57 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Caution to all 2004 and above owners. The LOW FUEL LEVEL warning can be reset, and the DISTANCE TO EMPTY function can be false. Remember, there is no warning light on these cars.

In other words it does not read the tank, it could say that you have 15 miles left and be out of gas.

GONE......And Happy about it..........
2003 Mercury Sable LS Premium....... The Shop Queen.... May God be with the peson that gets that car.

Still Trucking and Very plesased with.............
1996 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Ultimate with: Leather and Handling & Performance Package. Also has Halon Fire Extinguisher. Rear wheel drive V-8 BABY!!

MERCURY- The poor mans Lincoln and the rich mans Ford.

Remember:

Drink your school, stay in drugs, and don't do milk.

The weather is here, wish you were beautiful.
jj57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 08:52 AM   #18 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 899
godspunk32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to godspunk32

I typically get between 300 and 320 miles per tank, with a 16 gallon tank that is refilled when the light comes on, typically with 14 or so gallons. If it's correct that my tank is 16 gallons, then 16 - 14 = 2.0 gallons, and from prior experience, I know that my car averages 23 mpg, so when the light comes on, I typically have about 40 miles or so, but I've stretched it to 50...I'm sure that 16 really means 16.5, plus whatever sits in your fuel lines...There is probably about 17 or so gallons in a Gen III's entire system when it is completely full...

Again, as other people have said, gas gauges are very inaccurate and differ from vehicle to vehicle.

JR

godspunk32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 10:52 PM   #19 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 1296
93 sable has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to 93 sable

The gas light on my 93 sable never came on before I started running out of gas. I was on the highway and it was running like sh*t, I look at the guage and it's LOW, OH SH*T! I pulled off and got to a gas station immediately and it stalled right when i got to the pump.
Old 05-28-2004, 11:16 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member Number: 436
Dagamemnon has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to Dagamemnon Send a message via MSN to Dagamemnon Send a message via Yahoo to Dagamemnon

If i have 1/4 tank my light comes on when i drive uphill...Drives me nuts.
Advertisement