Low/no Heat - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2004, 11:08 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 2071
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
BelAir67 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Okay, I've read several topics on this subject, but I'd just like to cover all the bases with this one. Just replaced the thermostat on our 99 Taurus Vulcan because we've been getting either no heat, lukewarm heat, and some case when the stars are right, good and hot heat. The car runs at normal temperature and shows no signs of even being close to overheating. So I figure it can't be a heater core if I actually get heat once in a while, right?

So here are the questions:

1. Will air in the cooling system affect the heater?
2. We've had to add some fluid lately. Will low coolant levels affect the heat?
3. What about this 'blend door' I've heard about. How can I tell if it's working and how hard is it to correct if it isn't?
4. Could it still be a heater core if I got hot heat right after I replaced the thermostat? (and every so often)

Other than the heat, the car acts, looks, and runs fine. Don't see any fluid or steam coming out (but that doesn't mean it isn't leaking when I drive I guess).

Thanks!
BelAir67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2004, 06:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Bob Gervais

Member Number:

Air in the system will affect it's performance. When the car's cold, remove the degas bottle cap (radiator cap on this car), start the car and let it reach operating temperature. Run it for a little while like this and that should get the air out of the system.

Low coolant levels will also affect the heater's performance.

Is the coolant a brownish color?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2004, 07:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 915
SaturdaysSHO has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to SaturdaysSHO Send a message via MSN to SaturdaysSHO

Bob is the man, he knows about this problem with Vulcan Taurus'. One thing I would like to add. I think you should flush your cooling system. This is why. My Taurus' heat started to act like yours but got progressively worse, and I think if we (my father and I) hadn't let flushing the coolant system go. We wouldn't have ended up having to get a new heater core (re: costly)

Nick Saturday

Thats my .02, but just listen to Bob!
K&N Panel Filter - Wired Open Butterflies - ALSFB
TB coolant Bypassed - SARC on Full Firm~
*Engine searching in progress*
SaturdaysSHO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2004, 11:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
jason8225

Member Number:

I had the same problem with my 99 vulcan and had to have the cooling system flushed & filled 8 times - and the last time was a "power flush" from the stealership with something so potent it ate through hoses and they had to replace them. But after all that it started working. However, this was on a car that had been driven about 65k miles with ZERO maintenance by the previous owner, pretty much nothing other than oil changes.

Forgot to add - several months after all this they wound up having to replace the heater core, too.
Old 02-23-2004, 11:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
fvt

Member Number: 2109
fvt has a little shameless behaviour in the past

this is EXACTLY what happened to me. At first i thought it was the gasket blown or something as there was smoke coming out and coolant was losing in huge amounts. A friend checked all pipes (coolant) and lines and saw a huge Slash in the heater hose. (Looks like one of the mechanics did it delibrately to bring the car back since there are no moving sharp objects in that area.) Here is the diagram of myhose damage. Just changed the hose and changed the coolant and it is ok now.

My symptoms included:
Hissing noise (Air escaping via slash in the hose)
Loss of coolant
Excessive smoking as coolant began to pour into the hot engine...looks like the front of the car is on fire
Fluctuation of Temp guage as air enters coolant lines via open hole/slash

Good thing was there was still coolant in the engine when i checked it or the entire engine would have been a toss.....head gasket would have been done if this was the case.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FORD_TAU_GL_3V6_Vulcan_OHV.JPG (126.4 KB, 5074 views)
fvt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2004, 08:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

Hey guys, thanks for all the leads I've gotten so far..just thought I'd give you and update:

The system was flushed and filled back in November 2002, and as of Sunday, the fluid was a nice, pretty green. I can detect no leaks, although back in December and recently I had to add some antifreeze mix. I cringe everytime y'all mention the words 'heater core'--let's hope for the best

I tried the suggestion this morning of letting the cap off, warming it up, and then replacing it. Well, sad to say, still no heat, or at the very most, lukewarm heat. If I have the dial on cold, of course I get the cold outside air. At full heat, I only get that lukewarm deal. And as I mentioned, the car acts fine and the temp guage is just a bit below halfway.

Keep throwing out ideas if you have them and I'll keep y'all updated. Guess I won't actually need the heat in a month or so, but it would be nice to have it functioning.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
Bob Gervais

Member Number:

OK let's try this next. Let the car warm up, put the heat on. Feel the heater core hoses near the firewall (careful for moving engine parts). If both hoses are hot, it's a blend door issue. If one hose is hot and one is lukewarm, it's a plugged heater core, and the system, including the heater core, needs to be backflushed.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:35 AM   #8 (permalink)

You know, I felt a lot of hoses yesterday trying to determine that very question. Now, I'll be the first to admit, I'm not the expert on which hose is going where, but here's what I know: A smaller, heater hose look-alike thingy coming from the water pump is hot and under pressure. A similar looking hose on the right hand side of the engine (looking at it from the front) and attached somewhere near the thermostat is also warm and under pressure. Every single hose, whether I think it relates to the heater or not, located near the firewall all seem to be hot and under some sort of pressure.

Oddly enough, the heat is getting slightly warmer as I drove it more today, but stay WAY too cool. I've been rapidly playing with the heater knob hoping that might do something. Should I be hearing some kind of noise when I adjust the heater temp? I am hearing noises when I go from vent to interior to A/C and such from the other knob.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:01 AM   #9 (permalink)
Bob Gervais

Member Number:

The two hoses you mentioned are the heater hoses, and they should feel like they are at the same temperature once the car is warmed to operating temp.

As far as the heater controls, on my 97 I can hear the vents changing position, but not the blend door moving when I adjust the temperature knob.

I hate to say it, but at this point, if both those hoses are hot, you may have a blend door issue that needs to be looked into.
Old 02-24-2004, 12:40 PM   #10 (permalink)

Okay, here's what I noticed at lunch: I drove the car for a while and got that lukewarm heat. Then, it seemed like it got colder as I went. So, I turned the knob all the way back to cold, let it cool, and turned it all the way back to hot. At that point, I got heat again, although as I've said, not great heat. Is this indicitive of a blend door problem?

And not to sound like a moron--does the water flow from the top of the engine, to the core, and back to the water pump, or does it flow out of the pump in the other direction? I'm just trying to confirm exactly which hoses I need to feel and which ones coming from the firewall are the real indicators.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.