Won't Shift Out Of Park...sometimes - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2004, 08:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 2190
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Peter B has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I had a bunch of work done to my 95 Taurus LX Wagon (3.8 V6) a couple of weeks ago. One repair required the steering column to be replaced because of an encased linkage to the ignition switch. Long story on that one, I've been turning the engine off for months by reaching to the back of the ignition module and pushing upward on the switch. Anyway, the day after the work was done, I was temporarily stranded a couple of times while out because the car would not shift from Park. After about 3-4 minutes of idling, I can shift to gear. This doesn't happen always, just sometimes. I called the shop that did all of the work for me and I took the car back.

I also have had no blower fan for a while. I diagnosed a while back that it was likely the blower control relay. I was going to have that repaired as well when the car was in, until I was told that they couldn't find a used one at any wreckers, and that the dealer only part would be over $300.00 (CDN). The mechanic told me that the blower was working in high speed. (It didn't when I took it to him???). So I chose not to have that work done. The blower worked for about 30 minutes after I picked the car up, then it blew the fuse.

I take the car back to the mechanic about the shifting problem, he replaces the fuse for the blower, and says that was the problem, because it shifted OK after that!

I pick up the car, tell him that I can't see how a fuse that was blown for a week caused my car to be stuck in park...temporarily, and intermittently...and he says that the fuse was the problem...sends me on my way.

Well, I don't plan on going back to these guys anytime soon...they shouldn't be licensed and aren't touching my car again.

What could cause this occassional problem? Could it be a pressure/vacuum problem, or maybe a linkage that needs adjusting? Like I said, if the engine idles for a few minutes, I can shift. I thought of the brake switch, but I think if that was the problem, it wouldn't be intermittent.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2004, 10:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 222
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2004 Ford Taurus SES Deluxe 24V DOHC 3.0 V6
detroit_raver has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via Yahoo to detroit_raver Send a message via Skype™ to detroit_raver

don't know if this is your problem or not, but in my 97, if i'm slightly parked on an incline of any kind, i can't shift out of park. i eventually do after a few minutes though. but when it does it feels like i'm about to break something when it finally shifts out of park. i think others have had the same problem.

Cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/id/detroit_raver13
detroit_raver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 08:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 1387
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 1997 Ford Taurus GL 2001 Mercury Sable LS Premium
firespirit has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to firespirit Send a message via MSN to firespirit Send a message via Yahoo to firespirit

Quote:
Originally posted by detroit_raver@Jan 24 2004, 11:48 PM
don't know if this is your problem or not, but in my 97, if i'm slightly parked on an incline of any kind, i can't shift out of park. i eventually do after a few minutes though. but when it does it feels like i'm about to break something when it finally shifts out of park. i think others have had the same problem.
Funny... I've never had that problem....But it might be they didn't put the steering column on right.
Old 01-25-2004, 09:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 237
D Man has a little shameless behaviour in the past

A while back my 98 wouldn't shift out of park. But I found my problem, it was the brake switch or what ever it is called. It sits right under the brake pedal and their is a small C clip that has to be taken out for the switch to come out. But mine was bad and after replacing I still noticed that if you had your foot on the brake too hard, the brake would go off. I noticed this in the early morning when I could still see my brake lights in the mirror. But if I pushed on the brakes too hard the lights would go off. So for some reason in my car if you put on the brakes TOO hard, they wont work. And if the car doesn't know your brakes are on, the car wont shift out of park.
D Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 09:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
fvt

Member Number: 2109
fvt has a little shameless behaviour in the past

my 1993 had the problem.....but it is recommended that you first change the SHIFT from Park to Drive BEFORE releaseing the parking brakes. Doing so will ease the shifting. That is waht i was told a while back and it worked perfectly fine.
fvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement