Bad Pcv Valve? - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2003, 04:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 421
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
diesel600 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to diesel600

Today I changed the oil in my parents' 2000 Duratec. When I removed the oil cap, I noticed some watery oil gunk up inside the cap. So then I removed the breather tube that comes out of the front valve cover and it was gunked up too. There was no water in the oil, so I'm not too worried, but I thought I remember someone else who had this happen though and it was a clogged PCV valve. Or maybe the moisture in the engine just didn't have enough time to evaporate? I don't know. The car has 21,000 miles. What do you guys think?
diesel600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2003, 04:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 1637
Chapter: Northeast
tmonster has a little shameless behaviour in the past

sounds to me like it was humid and condensation was forming here and there....but PVC's arnt too expensive, replace it if your worried about it
1996 Ford Taurus LX 187,000 (rusted out, but drives)
1980 Mazda RX-7 Anniversary X 142k (project)

Past Vehicals
1993 Isuzu Trooper (junked)
1992 Ford Tempo GL (sold)
1992 Subaru Loyale (sold/junked)
1994 Toyota Camry LE (sold)
1996 Ford Taurus GL (junked)
1994 Ford Aerostar Cargo (sold)
1993 Ford Taurus (traded)
1990 Ford Tempo GL (sold/junked)
1987 Dodge Aries (junked)
tmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 11:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 1423
Damon has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally posted by dIESEL600@Dec 28 2003, 06:14 PM
Today I changed the oil in my parents' 2000 Duratec. When I removed the oil cap, I noticed some watery oil gunk up inside the cap. So then I removed the breather tube that comes out of the front valve cover and it was gunked up too. There was no water in the oil, so I'm not too worried, but I thought I remember someone else who had this happen though and it was a clogged PCV valve. Or maybe the moisture in the engine just didn't have enough time to evaporate? I don't know. The car has 21,000 miles. What do you guys think?
Well, I have the same car, same year, and same engine. I also noticed that gunk you were referring to when I first got the car at 18K. It almost looking like coffee colored yogurt, and it was on the inside of the oil filler cap. I cleaned the gunk out, and I waited till my next oil change to switch to synthetic oil. I havent had this gunk since. I didnt switch to synthetic because of the gunk, yet it seemed to alleviate the problem.

Also, you WILL have trouble finding a PCV for a 2000 Duratec engine. Youre best bet is to goto your dealer and get it from them, the part will cost you about 8 bucks or so.

-Damon
Damon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 11:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
jason8225

Member Number:

I honestly am not sure what the purpose of the PCV valve is, but when I got my oil changed today at approx 35k miles, they told me the PCV valve is usually changed every 35k and they asked if I wanted to have it done, they only wanted $8 so I told them to go ahead.
Old 12-29-2003, 12:41 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member Number: 247
DeJaVu has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to DeJaVu

Somebody correct me if I am wrong in any of this but...

PCV = Posative Crankcase Ventalation

Basicly there is pressure in the crankcase of your engine. This is just how it is plain and simple =p If this pressure doesn't vent properly it WILL VENT in one way or another. When i blew my rings and there was more pressure than the PCV could handle it chose to vent through the dipstick and right out onto the exhaust manifold. The PCV is operated by the intake vacumn to open when it should and stay shut when it shouldn't. Instead of venting the vapors right to the atmosphere they are vented back into the intake for emsissions.

Mike Pruitt -=- 1993 Ford Taurus Gl 3.0l Vulcan
Zex 55 Dry Shot -=- Nitrous is not a laughing matter
Walled Lake, Michigan
DeJaVu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 08:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 237
D Man has a little shameless behaviour in the past

When you say the vacuum opens "it" up and closes it when it should what do you mean by IT?? Their is nothing to open or closes on the PCV. If someone is worried about the pressure building up and blowing somethimg out, due to a clogged PCV. Than get 2 of those "ricer" styled PCV breathers or filters, whatever they are. I just put 2 on my car, and now I shouldn't have to worry about that HOT and dirty air going back into my intake. And they should NEVER clog or put up any resistance for the pressure coming out of the PCV.

Please anybody correct me if I'm wrong. I'm sure their is something bad about these PCV filter, but weighed against the good things, what is better??
D Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 10:31 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member Number: 421
diesel600 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to diesel600

Quote:
Originally posted by D Man@Dec 29 2003, 09:45 AM
Please anybody correct me if I'm wrong. I'm sure their is something bad about these PCV filter, but weighed against the good things, what is better??
If you are using two of these filters, I don't think your crankcase would vent as it is designed to. If you just used one on the breather side it would be fine, because that side is just drawing in air. But on the other side where the PCV valve is, you want the engine's vacuum to suck some air out of the crankcase. If you just throw one of those filters on that side that is not going to happen. You might still get enough ventilation though. I don't know.
diesel600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 11:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 603
mikehawk has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via MSN to mikehawk Send a message via Yahoo to mikehawk

Breathers = bad.

About that nasty gunk you're talking about on the bottom of the oil cap, does it have like a mayonaise consistency? I heard that's the result of a fuel leak that mixes with the oil.
Old 12-29-2003, 01:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 237
D Man has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Breathers=BAD That's not enough to convince anybody, that it's bad. Need more info.

It looks likt there is 2 PCV spots. One on each valve cover. I myself have never really heard of this but, it's what I see. Both hoses are identical in every way. So I assume they are both PCVs, there for a filter could be put on. If one of these is not a PCV, than what is it, and what's it for??

Can anybody give any REAL reason NOT to it put on. Or if it's alright to put on. Or if it's good to put on.
D Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 02:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
XLSuruaT

Member Number:

Instead of putting a breather, check out what Paul did, he made a canister with a filter and that serves as the pcv.

Also, make sure the hoses are free of gunk. If the pcv backs up, u may ahve to clean the 2 hoses connected to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement