Replacing Headlight Bulbs - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2003, 12:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 1712
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
secondgenlxturbo has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via MSN to secondgenlxturbo Send a message via Yahoo to secondgenlxturbo

Ok this is going to make me sound like an idiot but how do I change the headlight bulbs on my 1990 Ford Taurus with the 3.8 liter engine? I can undo/loosen the the bulb from the headlight but there is not enough room to get the bulbs out of the headlight. Do I have to take out the headlight to replace the bulbs? If so could someone give me a quick how to. It's cold outside and I don't have a garage to work in so I don't feel like spending a lot of time trying to figure it out.
secondgenlxturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2003, 03:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 1070
93taurusSX has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Really? Usually you just have to a little bit of maneuvering to get the socket and bulb out of the headlight. There's enough slack in the wires and room behind the headlight for you to move around in. Usually, after you get the bulb and socket out, you'll have to move it behind the metal bar that the whole headlight/header assembly bolts onto so you can change it (there's not enough room for my hand to get in between the metal bar and the headlight). This is for the Gen2 at least. I've had to do this about 7 times now, experimenting with different bulbs and what not, so I pretty much got it down to 5 minutes to remove both bulbs
-2004 MPV LX in silver...finally a sane color I can actually describe!
There's always next year
93taurusSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 06:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to secondgenlxturbo Send a message via Yahoo to secondgenlxturbo

What type of headlight bulb do you recommend that puts out the most light for driving in the dark. I think I am somewhat nightblind so I want to upgrade my headlight bulbs so I can see better?
Old 12-23-2003, 07:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member Number: 1184
Spaceman Spiff has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Hi secondgenlxturbo, you don't need to remove the light assembly. You gotta twist the knobs around, which for somebody as clumsy as me usually me scraping my knuckles, especially when it is cold out. I put some silverstars in a couple of weeks ago and they were a vast improvement. Make sure you dont touch the glass part of the lamp when installing them.

Good Luck

Spiff
Spaceman Spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 12:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 125
Trader Score: 4 reviews
shoz123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
......to upgrade my headlight bulbs so I can see better?[/b]
Get the Sylvania SilverStars and a 100w headlight harness. It will double your light output for under ~$60.00
shoz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 03:17 AM   #6 (permalink)

I have Silverstars in my parents car right now and I am not impressed. They don't hold a candle to the Nokya Arctic White bulbs I had in the car before one burnt out. Those bulbs were as close as the same light output my friends Audi A4 which has HID lights.
Old 12-25-2003, 11:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 125
Trader Score: 4 reviews
shoz123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

What kind of car was your parents? Did it have the 100w headlight harness? Were the beams aimed for best output? Are the other bulbs you describe legal wattage? The color of the light does not necessarily equate to better vision.
shoz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 01:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

A 1997 Dodge Caravan, no I didn't install the 100 watt headlight harness. Where can you get 100 watt headlight harness I have never heard of them before? I don't remember the wattage of the bulbs, yes the headlights are aimed for best output. I know the color of light doesn't equate to better vision but I know I was able to see a lot better with the Nokya Arctic White bulbs.
Old 12-25-2003, 01:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by 93taurusSX@Dec 23 2003, 04:19 PM
Really? Usually you just have to a little bit of maneuvering to get the socket and bulb out of the headlight. There's enough slack in the wires and room behind the headlight for you to move around in. Usually, after you get the bulb and socket out, you'll have to move it behind the metal bar that the whole headlight/header assembly bolts onto so you can change it (there's not enough room for my hand to get in between the metal bar and the headlight). This is for the Gen2 at least. I've had to do this about 7 times now, experimenting with different bulbs and what not, so I pretty much got it down to 5 minutes to remove both bulbs
Yeah there is a difference between the first gen and second gen Taurus. I looked under the hood of my grandma's 1992 Taurus and there is a lot more room for you to be able to get to the headlight bulbs compared to my 1990 Taurus.
Old 12-25-2003, 05:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 1070
93taurusSX has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally posted by secondgenlxturbo@Dec 25 2003, 04:17 AM
I have Silverstars in my parents car right now and I am not impressed. They don't hold a candle to the Nokya Arctic White bulbs I had in the car before one burnt out. Those bulbs were as close as the same light output my friends Audi A4 which has HID lights.
Those Nokya artic White bulbs are 80w/100w bulbs that will melt your sockets. How do I know? I had those kind of bulbs running in the car for about 6 months and the plastic in the driver's side socket was basically scorched black and melted. Yet another reason for me to install a headlight harness .

Any bulb, even the stock ones, will see a benefit from getting a heavy duty wire harness. You can run the 80w/100w bulbs on those safely as well. Go to SUVlighting.com or ebay and search for 9007 harness and you should see some reasults. They run from $25-40 IIRC.

Also, define bright, you seem to be equating "brightness" with the "whiteness" of color of the light. These two are not directly related to each other. The 80w/100w white bulbs that I ran were whiter than the Tru-Blue's that I run right now, but pale in comparison in terms of how much better I can see at night with the Tru-blues (these are 2nd to the Silverstars in Sylvania's lineup - the Silverstars will definitely produce more light output).
-2004 MPV LX in silver...finally a sane color I can actually describe!
There's always next year
93taurusSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement