Adding Brake Fluid - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2003, 07:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 1387
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 1997 Ford Taurus GL 2001 Mercury Sable LS Premium
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
firespirit has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to firespirit Send a message via MSN to firespirit Send a message via Yahoo to firespirit

My "(!)(P)BRAKE" light is constantly on instead of flashing. I bought brake fluid at autozone - "Super Tech high performance Brake Fluid DOT-3"

Seeing as I have never bought anything like this before, I don't know if that was the right kind. So is this a good brand/type of brake fluid? it says on the bottle, "exceeds DOT-3 specifications, Exceeds federal motor vehicle standard 116, suitable for both disc and drum brake systems"

Second thing is, anyone have any pictures or illustrations showing what I must do? I'm afraid my brakes will lock up one of these times because I haven't added any yet, and it's been on constantly for 2 or 3 days.
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2003, 08:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 640
Chapter: Southern
Drives: 2003 Ford Taurus SEL
qwertz9586 will become famous soon enough

That brake fluid should work.

Your brakes won't lock up with the lack of brake fluid. Your concern is if they don't work when you press the pedal.

To put fluid in, find the brake fluid reservor. In the pic below, it's the yellowish thing hiding behind the air intake hose. Just unscrew the cap and pour some in. I think there's a little stick attached to the cap to tell you how much is already in there.

[ 2003 Ford Taurus SEL ] - [ 1995 Mercury Sable GS ]
Ford Lincoln Mercury Sable? A personal conveyance named after its inventor, an
assassinated ruler, a character from Greco-Roman myth and a small furry mammal.
qwertz9586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 08:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
XLSuruaT

Member Number:

Do you know for sure that your fluid is low? If it is, you may want to inspect the system for any leaks, or double check your pads that if they are low, the system uses more fluid.
Old 12-12-2003, 09:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member Number: 1750
cincyses has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Please remember 2 things:

1) Brake fluid is very corrosive. It will eat throught car paint, concrete or blacktop, etc. Be carefull! Should you spill it, flush the area with water thoroughly and quickly.

2) Brake fluid is hydyophilic, meaning that it attracts water. Do not add brake fluid on a rainy or foggy day if possible. Also, if you are going to store an opened container of brake fluid, be sure it is sealed tightly.

As a p.s.: keep the fluid level near the bottom of the word MAX on the side of the tank (when the fluid is hot). This is as per a local Ford dealer and after having had them overfill mine so that it overflowed when the brakes warmed up!
Old 12-12-2003, 10:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 1270
sundarpn has a little shameless behaviour in the past

ask someone for help if u dont know where to find the brake fluid res.

open hood look right below the driver side wiper... there will be a white rervoiur
with a black cap on it sayin brake fluid...

on the side of the res will be a marking sayin "MAX". fill only upto that level.

if possible, get the brake system flushed.. it should not cost more than 30 bucks..
DIY is also easy
sundarpn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 10:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member Number: 39
Capital Punishment has a little shameless behaviour in the past

really, if you dont know what your doing when it comes to your brakes, find someone who does and ask them to help you. Your brakes are extremely vital....you cant mess up here.
Capital Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 05:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member Number: 1744
BMWevo600 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to BMWevo600

most of the time if u have the brake light ots either brake fluid low or the brake pedal or parking brake pedal is loose and needs to be adjusted or the switch for these things is going to go or gone already. but if your brake fluid is low its either u have low pads and shoes or u have a leak, but since u said its a on going thing for 2 year i have to go with the pads. so either checke them out or get someone who knows what they are doing to check them out. i would add fluid . because unless u have a leak when u get new pads it will overflow and make a mess

brake fluid is not corrosive. just it seeps through anything like metal. after this happens paint will never stick to that spot ever again and if it does not for very long. and it does not eat throught concrete or blacktop. because if it did my bays at work would be destroied by now.

and dont leave the cap open because it will attract water and lower the boiling temp of the fluid. this is bad if u like to stop. to if u do add fluid keep it open the shortest amount of time.
BMWevo600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 05:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member Number: 1750
cincyses has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Arrow

Ok, if we want to split hairs, perhaps "corrosive" is not the technically correct word, but in layman's terms, I think it makes my pointbecause, it will, strip paint and it definately removes the top coat on blacktop (my friend did this to my driveway when he had a leaking brake line..).

P.S. I believe the word I needed was "caustic."
Old 12-13-2003, 05:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 1387
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 1997 Ford Taurus GL 2001 Mercury Sable LS Premium
firespirit has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to firespirit Send a message via MSN to firespirit Send a message via Yahoo to firespirit

Quote:
Originally posted by BMWevo600@Dec 13 2003, 06:00 PM
most of the time if u have the brake light ots either brake fluid low or the brake pedal or parking brake pedal is loose and needs to be adjusted or the switch for these things is going to go or gone already. but if your brake fluid is low its either u have low pads and shoes or u have a leak, but since u said its a on going thing for 2 year i have to go with the pads. so either checke them out or get someone who knows what they are doing to check them out. i would add fluid . because unless u have a leak when u get new pads it will overflow and make a mess

brake fluid is not corrosive. just it seeps through anything like metal. after this happens paint will never stick to that spot ever again and if it does not for very long. and it does not eat throught concrete or blacktop. because if it did my bays at work would be destroied by now.

and dont leave the cap open because it will attract water and lower the boiling temp of the fluid. this is bad if u like to stop. to if u do add fluid keep it open the shortest amount of time.
mmmm... no, Ive never said the brake light has been on for 2 years. Thats the SES light.

Anyway... the brake light has been on since my wheel flew off that one time.
Old 12-13-2003, 07:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member Number: 1744
BMWevo600 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to BMWevo600

sorry i didnt mean been on for 2 years just what u said on and off for 2 years mine was doing that then i did a full brake just new rotors pads and shoes and durms. then i flushed the brake lines and filled to max and it hasnt come on since. so check your pads and shoes to see how much u got left...

i really dont think brake fluid will do anything to blacktop. and yeah i know it will peel you paint and make it disscolored before it does. and strip paint is a little harsh dont u think. the brake fluid seeps into to metal and doesnt alow paint to stick forever so if u do get some on your car wash it off with water as fast as u can and u might minimize it but some damage as already started. just dont miss any spots though
BMWevo600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement