Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

rockers and rocker covers

3K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  chartmaker 
#1 · (Edited)
Hoi!

Recently while changing the right rear tire, the rocker cover fell off. While examining it, I noticed the rocker has been fairly well rusted. Any thoughts on how to best go about repairing this?

Can't really afford to have some one else cut out the old rocker and weld a one in place and just the mounting holes appear to be bad. Any one see any issues with just removing the front cover as well, sanding it all down, priming it, reattaching the front one, and epoxying the second one in place?

On a related note, I need to repair the front part of the body panel over the right rear wheel well near the rocker cover. I remember seeing some one linking to a place that cold body panels for that area that could be epoxied in place post removing the rust. Any one remember/know what it was/it?

EDIT: Found it!

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=6844532&cc=1374375&jsn=388

#2 ·
Hoi!

Recently while changing the right rear tire, the rocker cover fell off. While examining it, I noticed the rocker has been fairly well rusted. Any thoughts on how to best go about repairing this?

Can't really afford to have some one else cut out the old rocker and weld a one in place and just the mounting holes appear to be bad. Any one see any issues with just removing the front cover as well, sanding it all down, priming it, reattaching the front one, and epoxying the second one in place?

On a related note, I need to repair the front part of the body panel over the right rear wheel well near the rocker cover. I remember seeing some one linking to a place that cold body panels for that area that could be epoxied in place post removing the rust. Any one remember/know what it was/it?

EDIT: Found it!

More Information for KEYSTONE RRP2122
On the '01 in the pic, my wagon, I filled the rockers with expanding foam from lawn and garden at Lowes or Walmart. Trimmed off the excess with a heated putty knife. Put the covers back on and used decking screws with a washer on them to keep the rocker covers on. Sold the car and saw it couple weeks back. Still going strong. 3.5 years and still there. Where there was no bottom on the rockers, I made a platform from wood covered with plastic to hold the foam in. Made the car more quiet at road speed.
For rusty cars, look careful at the sub frame, rear pas side where the A/C drips on it. Can rust out there. I treated my '03 Sables there to keep that from happening. On my '01 I had to replace the sub frame.

-chart-

Attachments

#3 ·
I thought house foam was to be avoided as it would hold moisture in? Read on another thread that there is a specific sort of foam that works for this, but never what it was called.

What manner did you use to attach the wood to the metal? Thinking just treated wood epoxied to the metal for using with the screws.

Thanks for the suggestion, way better than just expoxying them in place.

#6 ·
Rockers must be dry inside, and see pic, I would treat the inside with rust resistant spray first. Pic is a non rusty '03, my present wagon. Fluidfilm shown but I would not use that again. Eastwood makes an rattle can with long wand tube that works much better. So my take: dry inside, treat with rust resistant coat, fill with foam.

My '01 has been through 4 NY winters and still holding. I saw it in a parking lot couple weeks ago. My opinion, getting 4 more rust belt winters out is well worth the effort.

-chart-

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.