Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Need to confirm battery "issue"

3K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  jag1959 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I don't see anything wrong so far. During my regular self-checking, I found the car(2000 Taurus SE) battery has lower voltage than normal one.

Here is my test:

After letting the car sit for several hours, I test the battery voltage without load or starting the engine.
The voltage is 12.26V.

After starting the car without load, I test the battery again and the voltage show 14.34V.
Then I turn on the headlights, and the voltage drops to 12.26V.

The battery was replaced August 2012.

Question> Is this a typical issue for battery that I need to buy a new one?

Thank you

#2 ·
Hello all,

I don't see anything wrong so far. During my regular self-checking, I found the car(2000 Taurus SE) battery has lower voltage than normal one.

Here is my test:

After letting the car sit for several hours, I test the battery voltage without load or starting the engine.
The voltage is 12.26V.

After starting the car without load, I test the battery again and the voltage show 14.34V.
Then I turn on the headlights, and the voltage drops to 12.26V.

The battery was replaced August 2012.

Question> Is this a typical issue for battery that I need to buy a new one?

Thank you
What you see is highly likely the Alt. See pic, mine idling in drive, with everything on. The volts under load is nearly 100% the combination of Alt and idle speed.

And, for me 3-3.5 years is the practical life of a car battery. But that is mostly how long it will support basic load until the volts dip below 11V. At 3 years mine have ~25% of new. This is important to me as I have had Alt fail and had to make it to a stopping place before it quits on the road.

-chart-

Attachments

#4 · (Edited)
Hello,

I will check my battery and alternator tomorrow in advanced auto parts.

I have two follow-up questions based on the comments above.

Question 1> The car has been running more than two hours today without turning on any load. So I assume the battery should be charged correctly. However, the battery terminal ONLY shows 12.26V.

[Can I assume that the battery is also on the way out?

Question 2> Which of the following product is best for my car?
Did anyone use ACDELCO 3351134 before?

Thank you

Here is the list of available alternator from rockauto.com

===============================
TYC 208263 {#8263, YF1Z10V346, YF1Z10V346FA} Info
w/ OE Manufacturer Ford; Amps: 105A; Pulley Type: w/ 6 Groove Pulley
$97.99 $0.00 $97.99

POWER SELECT/WPS 8263N {Click Info Button for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} Info
$100.79 $0.00 $100.79

PURE ENERGY 8263607N {Click Info Button for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} Info One of our most popular parts
Engine VIN 2
$100.79 $0.00 $100.79

REMY 92510 {Click Info Button for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} Remy Gold Info
105 Amps
$117.79 $0.00 $117.79

ACDELCO 3351134 {#88877344} Professional Info
105 Amps
$159.79 $0.00 $159.79
Add Part

#5 ·
I have used AC Delco Professional series parts with great success several times. Yes, it is the highest price, but like with anything, you get what you pay for. FYI, stay away from the AC Delco Advantage series of parts........ they are all cheap junk.

#7 ·
Hello all,

I just came back from local parts store.

Autozone tested my alternator, battery, and starter. He said all is fine, although he refused to do a load test on alternator.

Advanced Auto Parts tested my all three with/without load. All results are fine. Please see attached image for detail.

Thank you

Attachments

#9 ·
Do your own load test at home.

Engine running at 2000 RPM. With all accessories off, measure battery voltage. Should be 14.0 to 14.5 V depending on regulator temperature (your alt is not PCM regulated). Now turn on headlights, rear defroster, HVAC blower on high. Voltage at battery should drop by less than .50 V. If it drops more, alt is weak, or you have a poor connection in the charging circuit.

#10 ·
Do your own load test at home.

Engine running at 2000 RPM. With all accessories off, measure battery voltage. Should be 14.0 to 14.5 V depending on regulator temperature (your alt is not PCM regulated). Now turn on headlights, rear defroster, HVAC blower on high. Voltage at battery should drop by less than .50 V. If it drops more, alt is weak, or you have a poor connection in the charging circuit.
Agree: one does well to clean all the battery connections and grounds before doing this. And the connection at the Alt output bolt.

-chart-

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.