Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

What is this and how badly does it need to be fixed?

777 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  sheila 
#1 ·
I was looking under the hood today and found this plastic tube that looked to have melted. When I looked closer I could tell the melted part was tape. It looks like someone broke the plastic tube and then taped it and now the tape has melted. What is this tube for and how important is it to replace? Relatively soon? Or can it wait until my next project? Any help would be appreciated

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
It is the vacuum supply to the HVAC system since the supply end of it connects to the vacuum distribution box on the firewall it should be repaired without delay. You can use a piece of vacuum hose to create a spliced repair or source it from a JY

#3 ·
^ Mark, I think that's the hard small vacuum line that runs to the green plastic capped evap test port on the passenger firewall. Regardless, it needs repaired/replaced. It should run in the windshield cowling clips along with the larger hvac vacuum line up and away from any heat source. May try to "sleeve splice" it with a piece of rubber vacuum hose. Cut the bad section out and connect the 2 remaining ends into a piece of snug fitting rubber vacuum hose. Unless you have some vacuum hose at home to try, take a small piece to a parts store to size up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.