Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Hey buying

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Brian in Tucson 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hey i am maybe buying a Taurus 2004 with 200hp with 83.000miles on it.. what should i check when i test drive it? And whats common problems with them?
Are they quiet and comfortable? Reliable?

#3 ·
Hey i am maybe buying a Taurus 2004 with 200hp with 83.000miles on it.. what should i check when i test drive it? And whats common problems with them?
Are they quiet and comfortable? Reliable?
The Duratec engines are good motors, with 83,000 miles your engine isn't even broken in yet and if you look after it, it will look after you.

Parts are readily available and reasonable and there are loads on the road too.

As to what look out for, nothing than the usual (make sure no water in the oil, shocks, smooth tranny etc.)

#4 ·
The transmission is the weak spot on these models.

Be sure to drive it and see how it shifts.

Check the transmission fluid for a pink color and no burning smell.

Does the previous owner have any records on maintenance...

#6 ·
I'm assuming it's the DOHC Duratec you are looking at.... First, check for a leak at the oil pan. They all leak, and might be a bargaining point. Second... rust... mostly in the rocker panels and the rear dog legs(by the rear doors). Rot in the rockers, run away and don't look back. Third, transmission. Check to see how it shifts, how the fluid looks and smells, any odd shifting or slowness engaging gears. And the obvious the CEL...... if the cel is on, get the codes read to see. Blinking CEL, RUN...... that means it's misfiring and they have probably damaged the cats along the way.

Otherwise, with little maintenance they are stout cars and your right foot will be happy with the 45 extra ponies you get with a Duratec.

#7 ·
Ford updated the oil pan gasket for the 04+ Tec. Wifes 04 Tec was dry as a bone everywhere when it got totaled in January with 91K on the clock. My 05 SEL Premium Tec is also dry as a bone everywhere at 82K.

Just like most cars on the road (except late model Chryslers) if it has been well maintained since new, it will give many many miles of nearly trouble free service. If not maintained, driven like the PO thought he was racing at Indy every time they drove the car, reliability will be questionable.

Reactions: sousa632
#9 ·
Only thing we didn't check on my son's 07 was the horn and the cruise control, and they were both bad. The horn wiring at horns gets a lot of weather,and that is where the problem was. Cruise control still not working although we installed the column clock spring below the airbag to be safe.
So check things that you normally forget about like the rear defrost,the heater and AC and the direction of the air when you select different modes. don-ohio :)^)

#10 ·
I bought it!!

I bought 2004 Taurus SES with only 83.xxx miles!

Holy cow! When driving it i went upto 80mph and i felt like i was at 40mph! So quiet and no noise from engine or vibrating more quiet then some 2008+ car! Speakers are decent good, all windows worked, no oil leak, horn works, all lights, breaks, handbreak, trunk button, radio, on board computer. Everything worked.

Power: 6/10 decent not as fast as the car i used to own but still plenty enough!

Comfort: 8/10 when i got the seats in correct position (electric) damn so good.

Noise inside at 80 mph: 9/10 wow i got to say so damn quiet!!

Fuel average according to OBC: said 15.6 mpg

Overall its very good ill definately keep this one for more then year.

#11 ·
I bought 2004 Taurus SES with only 83.xxx miles!

Holy cow! When driving it i went upto 80mph and i felt like i was at 40mph! So quiet and no noise from engine or vibrating more quiet then some 2008+ car! Speakers are decent good, all windows worked, no oil leak, horn works, all lights, breaks, handbreak, trunk button, radio, on board computer. Everything worked.

Power: 6/10 decent not as fast as the car i used to own but still plenty enough!

Comfort: 8/10 when i got the seats in correct position (electric) damn so good.

Noise inside at 80 mph: 9/10 wow i got to say so damn quiet!!

Fuel average according to OBC: said 15.6 mpg

Overall its very good ill definately keep this one for more then year.

Congratulations on your Bull and I am sure you'll be glad to have made the purchase. She looks good.

Look after her and she'll look after you!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.