zerex antifreeze to brown sludge 03 duratec - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 07:02 AM Thread Starter

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Question zerex antifreeze to brown sludge 03 duratec

my 2003 duratec DOHC 24v original radiator fluid was overdue and needed changing although it looked ok. so 14 months ago I did complete flush with water multiple times running the engine over a few days to change out the old stuff. then refilled with the recommended/costly ZEREX Valvoline G-05. I recently looked in the degauss plastic bottle and saw the brown oily sludge so commonly referred to. I've in the process of cleaning/backwashing it out of the radiator.

ok what caused this? is it the old coolant mixed with new coolant?
is it electrolysis referred to in the tsb 01-15-6

Should I switch over to the less expensive prestone yellow antifreeze.

I thought it was so contaminated with oily brown globules in the antifreeze that I had a head gasket issue yet the motor oil and trans fluid are fine. Car runs fine as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 09:58 AM

Chapter: Midwest

The Zerex is not the same as the Ford premium Gold coolant. Possibly a chemical reaction took place between the flush chemicals or old antifreeze.
I would not use the Zerex. Flush it out again and get the Ford Gold coolant is what I'd do. don-ohio (:^)

Ford's the BEST!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Then there's the rest. don-ohio
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 11:47 AM
Technical Advisor

Year: 2005
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

^^^^^^ +1

05 Taurus SEL Duratec - my daily driver
04 Taurus SES Duratec - wifes car - TOTALED
06 Taurus SE Vulcan - wifes new ride
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter car
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

zerex vs ford gold?

everything i've read indicates that zerex is the reccommended alternative antifreeze for the gold colored factory stuff? i am thinking that a chemical reaction did occur. not sure why though. It had very light tan and greasy feeling globules floating in the degauss/plastic bottle. i flushed quite a bit out of the rubber hoses as well.

i guess fORD gOLD IS SOLD ONLY AT THE DEALER?

Last edited by pancake; 03-02-2017 at 12:20 PM.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 01:40 PM
Technical Advisor

Year: 2005

Dealer only, as far as I know, but it doesnt cost any more than good quality coolant at the parts store.

05 Taurus SEL Duratec - my daily driver
04 Taurus SES Duratec - wifes car - TOTALED
06 Taurus SE Vulcan - wifes new ride
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter car
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 09:35 AM

I have been using the Walmart all brands all models for years zero problems. My two Vulcan engined cars got two year changes and back flushes. My two DOHC cars got 3 year changes and back flushes.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 12:25 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2003
Model: Mercury Sable

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdanville View Post
I have been using the Walmart all brands all models for years zero problems. My two Vulcan engined cars got two year changes and back flushes. My two DOHC cars got 3 year changes and back flushes.
My 2 DOHC's get a drain and refill every other Fall, same Wallyworld premixed. Drains out clean. I cut a hole in the air dam so I can drain without removing that on each. No intention of flushing.

-chart-
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 02:14 PM

zerex is the recommended for Ford, I have no issues with it on any of my cars (both green and gold) including Jeep.

It's possible that it was mix of old coolant and zerex (green to gold or universal to gold/green, dex-cool..etc) That's why it's recommended to flush old coolant completely and put in new one.

and

and
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 02:58 PM

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2004

Zerex G-05 is the same as Motorcraft Gold. I've used both with no issues.

How old was the Zerex bottle? There is a date code somewhere. Antifreeze is only good for 5 years whether it is in the bottle or not.

2004 Taurus SES Duratec Gold Ash Metallic 95k (looks green to me)

Upgrades: Mach RCU & Tweeters, Bluetooth, Ford Cargo Tray, LED Trunk Lighting, Headlight Relays
Running on: Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus, M1 0w30 AFE & Fram Pro Synthetic Filter, Valvoline MERCON V, Valvoline DOT 3&4, ZEREX G-05, Top Tier Regular Gas
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 07:19 AM

Zerex is NOT the same, only close. Read the container. don-ohio (:^)

Ford's the BEST!
Then there's the rest. don-ohio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page